Shows on EHD are erased after watching! Known problem?

KKlare, I can answer one of your questions: 'Does it only do this during a recording?' The answer is no, the erasure problem can occur while you are just watching it!

When the description on the Restart/Resume/Done screen matches the event you just watched (or are watching), it will not be erased. When all info is missing, or it displays the info for another show, the program will be erased. However, knowing that the show is about to be erased does not help anything unless we can find a workaround that really works! The workaround that Dish Network said to use DOES NOT WORK most of the time. That is why I am not using my EHD until the problem is fixed!

Last edited:
KKlare, we know (and feel) your pain all too well.

This problem (as Tony S explained) is one slippery snake. Aside from not using your EHD's (except to archive, not view), there's no 100% sure workaround that we (or Dish) has found that will prevent these random deletes.

Aside from archiving stuff, I've completely stopped using my EHDs, and that's how it'll be until they fix this issue. I've emailed tech 3 times in about as many weeks about it and they finally admitted that this problem is an issue they're working on.

My issue with them is that it can't be that hard to fix, since the coding causing the problem has to be in the software that handles EHD playback activity, and therefore shouldn't be that difficult to find and fix (I've been a software developer for over 30 years)...

Perhaps when they rewrite the code to fix this they can give us record options to:

1. Record to internal HDD,

2. Record to external HDD, or

3. Record to both.

Maybe, but something else would get FUBAR'ed.

Until this is confirmed fixed I'm not going to play from the EHD. I'll keep archiving and restore the program I want to watch back to the DVR before watching it. Even though this problem has not hit me, I'm not taking the chance...

I still have a lot of stuff recorded from the old Voom days! I don't want to take the chance of losing those recordings because they can't be replaced.

I just had this issue happen to me today. I was watching show on the EHDD, when I went back to show someone a funny part, it was GONE! so I lost movie in HD.

I haven't even done it... It's a massive inconvenience to have to restore a program to watch it just to ensure that it won't go away. This is not how the EHD functionality was supposed to work and it irks the heck outta me that they're dragging their feet fixing this!

It's in the EHD playback coding...it's not freakin' rocket science...just take out whatever they put in/changed that broke that section of code and upload L626. I'm sure they have a backup of the pre-L625 code...just pull the backup of that part of the code and fix it...that's what I do. It's called being a professional...

Has anyone seen the erasure problem when (only) doing the above?

Many have reported that restoring to the internal drive is one way to avoid the erasure problem, but I have not personnally tried it (too annoying).

To me, erasing shows is a very serious problem. If I were running the software department at Dish, I would put this problem in the 'needs to be fixed immediately' catagory. I guess all we can do is to keep sending our complaints to dish and wait for the fix!

Since I switched EHDs, I not longer have issue. Once I was done watching, I hit live TV, went back in, saw the show still there, hit resume, then hit done, was still there. Did this on stuff recoded from HBO and BBC. Might be a total fluke.

Lost a movie last night. I think I will stop using the EHD until this issue is repaired. I wonder if the software engineers are to busy with a new Tivo workaround to worry about this issue?;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)