Shows on EHD are erased after watching! Known problem?

Tony S

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 7, 2003
Hills of Eastern CT
I think that I have read about this problem in another thread but I can't find it...

I watched an episode of the Sarah Silverman show from my external hard drive. When the show was over (end credits still playing) I selected the 'View Live TV' button on the remote. Afterwards, the episode that I was watching was no longer present on the EHD. I definitely did not erase it!

Is this a known problem?

Turn off EHD, then unplug receiver for a couple of minutes. Wait until receiver has rebooted, then turn on EHD. See if it comes back.

I had the same thing happen to me last week for the very first time. It has never happened after pressing STOP. I assume it occurs when exiting in any other manner but I haven't experimented yet to see if it consistently does this...

Thanks David, that is good to know! I normally use Stop, or let it play to the end and select Done...so using View Live TV may have caused this.

Has anyone else seen this?

Same here, I think, now that someone mentioned it. I couldn't figure out what happened, and it was just one recording that was deleted. It's easy to hit 'live tv' since it's so close to the cancel button.

I have had ONE EHD recording delete itself after I watched it to very near the end. Others watched to near the end did not self-destruct. Bug.

Also, sometimes when I watch a program off the EHD, and stop somewhere during it, to return later, I get inconsistent behavior. Sometimes it gives me the "resume" option, sometimes not. Bug.

But neither are terrible. There are other things I'd rather see changed first.

I have lost several programs also. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. I have transferred several important programs that I would not want to lose back to the onboard HD. There definitely is some sort of bug.:mad:

I have also lost 3 movies off my EHD over the last couple of weeks after selecting done. Seems like it will kinda freeze up a few seconds, then go to the list of recorded shows. When I checked the list, the movie is gone.

It sounds like this is a new and increasing problem. You should all call or write tech support and let them know this is going on so maybe they can work on it. The more complaints, the better.

I dread that happening with my EHD's.

I still trust my EHDs over the internal HDDs, esp my EHD RAID array.

I believe the DirecTV EHD system is a bit different. With DISH, you get to use both the internal and external HDDs. With DirecTV, I believe the EHD replaces the internal HDD. So concerns may be a bit different. Please let me know (politely, maybe? ;) ) if this info is outdated.

For both providers - just think how much better things are today, feature and quality-wise, from both providers than they were say, 5 or so years ago. :)

I have had ONE EHD recording delete itself after I watched it to very near the end. Others watched to near the end did not self-destruct. Bug.

Also, sometimes when I watch a program off the EHD, and stop somewhere during it, to return later, I get inconsistent behavior. Sometimes it gives me the "resume" option, sometimes not. Bug.

But neither are terrible. There are other things I'd rather see changed first.
Me too, just one got deleted, but it was 'terrible' because it was our favorite movie in our home and it didn't play again for months and months. We eneded up buying it on DVD, then someone gave it to us as a gift, then it was on TV the next day. :)

Me too, just one got deleted, but it was 'terrible' because it was our favorite movie in our home and it didn't play again for months and months. We eneded up buying it on DVD, then someone gave it to us as a gift, then it was on TV the next day. :)

And next week it'll be half price on Blu-ray? ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)