Shows on EHD are erased after watching! Known problem?

Sorry but I have no magical advice. My comments are very simple. I have never lost a title on an EHD.

I have never even thought about specific button presses on the remote in order to avoid a problem - which does not exist for me.

I am not alleging that the problem does not exist for others. But rather that the problem has not reared its ugly head for me.

He's asking what equipment do you have, and what kind of EHD?

He's asking what equipment do you have, and what kind of EHD?

I have the gear that I posted in #163 of this thread.

I just threw an HDD which includes 82 titles which were recorded a long time ago. This particular drive is stuffed full. It shows 1.0GB available.

I navigated to a title called "Easy Rider" which was originally recorded from channel 9423. It played fine. I did the fast forward thing. Reversed the playback for grins. Hit stop on the remote.

As a result my choices were "Resume" "Start Over" or "Done".

I chose "Done"

Got back to the title list for the EHD and pressed "Live TV" on the remote.

No problems.

My current software version is:

L625RJ3D-N on a VIP722

Perhaps the problems have not caught up to me.

Last edited:
My current software version is:

L625RJ3D-N on a VIP722

Perhaps the problems have not caught up to me.

It will delete after you watch the next ehd recording. The FF/REW thing is not the problem. The problem is when you watch your second recorded program of the day, it will be deleted.

It will delete after you watch the next ehd recording. The FF/REW thing is not the problem. The problem is when you watch your second recorded program of the day, it will be deleted.

Exactly.

If you only watch one program from your EHD per day, you'll never see the problem, Nextoo. It happens on the second archived program of the day, as 8bitbytes said.

Give it a try...you'll see it happen. It's not fun...

Exactly.

If you only watch one program from your EHD per day, you'll never see the problem, Nextoo. It happens on the second archived program of the day, as 8bitbytes said.

Give it a try...you'll see it happen. It's not fun...

I just watch 3 archived programs and stop each one early on purpose and they were not deleted.

It's a problem, its real but it is not across the board.

As i mentioned in my post above...it happens with only one of my two EHD...on the one that it does happen to...it happens consistently but never on the other

Okay...but it does happen consistently on one of your two EHDs?

What's the make/model of the drive that it doesn't happen with?

Paradox has already said that both drives are exactly the same! (See post #153).

The '2nd show delete' is not consistent for me either...sometimes it does, and sometimes it doesn't.

Well, it happens consistently (too consistently for me) such that I won't take a chance on not feeding the bug (or trying to feed it) on the 2nd show to avoid losing something I really want to keep...

I agree. I always view a throwaway for the 2nd show. But the problem is really weird...some days nothing gets deleted no matter how many shows I watch and no matter how hard I try to provoke it. Other days they get deleted.

My rule is simple...I never watch anything from the EHD that I don't mind getting deleted. If it is something that I want to preserve, I restore it to the internal HD first.

I just keep recording "Nothing But Trailers" episodes (they're short, usually about 10 minutes) and keep a supply of 5-8 of them on each of my EHDs to feed to the bug as the 2nd show viewed. Usually, the bug contentedly "eats" it. On rare occasions, it doesn't. After the 2nd thing gets eaten, I don't have any further issues on my EHDs...but I have a timer for "Nothing But Trailers", all episodes, set so that I have a constant supply to put out there.

Thing is, it's annoying, time consuming and if I forget to "feed" the bug a trailer show, I have to turn off my EHD while the 2nd program is playing, otherwise, it gets deleted if I exit out of it any other way.

It's a pathetic joke that this bug is taking this long to get fixed...

You don't have to record a whole show. Just press record, wait 30-60 sec, stop, and you have another throwaway. (Weird, I did 2 of a show under 50 MB each. Could play them. But it would not transfer the second one to the EHD.)
-Ken

Oh, I know I don't have to record a whole show, but by using a 10-minute filler show like "Nothing But Trailers", they all end up in the same folder, so I don't have to go looking around for the what-the-heck-was-it that I recorded and stuck out here to feed to the bug routine?

5-6 of those on each drive don't take up much space...maybe a couple gig...and sometimes a trailer or two are worth watching...

You can go to the edit name button on the recording and give them any name you want, preferably short and the same.

Recording the the same duration does not guarantee that you get the same "rounded" size. I don't know the algorithm but the blocked size can jump up to 7 or 15 or so MB for a difference of 1 MB in the recording size. It does jump to a multiple of the block size of the stored device, I assume.

Question, does it knock out the drop out for both SD and HD throwaways? Do both HD and SD get dropped? Lots of experiments.

Just for your nightmares.
-Ken

It may be that the reason they are not able to fix it is the fact that it isn't consistent. It doesn't occur the same enough to be able to find what is causing it.

They should look at what code was changed when they made a release that started the problem.

It may be that the reason they are not able to fix it is the fact that it isn't consistent. It doesn't occur the same enough to be able to find what is causing it.

It's consistent enough that they should've had it fixed long before now...

They should look at what code was changed when they made a release that started the problem.

Agreed! They should just look at the playback from EHD coding and figure out why it usually deletes the 2nd program played from an EHD. I'm sure they have a backup of pre-L625 code and all it would take is probably a 30-minute walkthrough of the code and they'd find what they'd messed up. It's just not that difficult to do a code compare and see what got screwed up...

If I modified my programs so that they lost some data, I would told to revert to the last working version and get it fixed the next day. If it was still bad after a couple of days, I'd have been called in for a talk and any more problems there would be a notice in my evaluation. Although if there was a problem for more than an hour it was because nobody had even hinted at one. You just do not allow data loss if you have 10 customers or 10 million.
-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts