SHVERA

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I am also in a "grey" area with this whole issue. My DBS is associated with my RV. Because of that I have DNS and LIL when in my local spot beam that is associated with my mailing address. Right now if I had to make a choice, it would be DNS as I would not have any network feeds while on the road otherwise. However, I am migrating toward HD and from my reading; I may not be able to receive the DNS HD feeds. There is no chance of receiving either SD or HD OTA signals at my mailing address. The only change for me would be the dropping of the LIL and therefore the intent of the broadcasters for me to see the local advertising would no longer exist. Heck, I haven’t seen a commercial ever since I got my UltimateTV, unless one really catches my eye. Any thoughts on this scenario?
-Eric

I live in a area where I can't get locals on satellite. But I am in a significantly viewed area for pittsburgh,pa locals. Will I be able to get these pittsburgh channels, or would I need to be able to get local into local service first?
thanks

So...when are these "postcards" supposed to go out?
What if you think you're supposed to get one and dont?
I've been looking for mine, but none yet.

I subscribed after 1999, but have all 4 waivers and DNS and locals.
Have had all for about 4 years now.

SHVERA info from DirecTV

vfr781rider said:
I have had DNS stations for a year or so and just added locals off of the 72.5 bird a couple weeks ago. Am I correct in reading this that I cannot keep that configuration and must decide to keep one or the other? If so, that SUCKS!

Sorry for cross posting to 2 threads, but here's a reply I got from DirecTV tonight. I don't like this at all, especially after installing a dish for 72.5 at both of my homes, buying the needed filters for 3 of my receivers, and NOW having to choose between what I had and what I just paid for. Come down to this though, the locals can suck my weenie :)

Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 19:12:56 -0800 (Z)
Subject: SHVERA [Incident: 050223-001694]

02/23/2005 07:12 PM

Dear Gary,

Thanks for writing. I'm sorry, but December 2004 changes in the Satellite Home Viewer Extension and Reauthorization Act (SHVERA) prohibits DIRECTV from providing New York or Los Angeles TV stations in areas where we carry local channels. Because we offer local channels in Tri-Cities TN-VA (Johnson City, TN), we cannot provide you with non-local network feeds.

New York or Los Angeles networks are now only available to customers who do not live in a Local TV Market (using boundaries established by Nielsen Media Research) and who cannot receive an over-the-air signal from a local TV station, according to standards of signal reception we are required to use (significant restrictions apply).

Please understand that federal law -- not DIRECTV -- sets strict guidelines for receiving non-local broadcast channels.

Thanks for your understanding and please stay tuned to DIRECTV.com for the latest news and information about our services.

Sincerely,

Sharad S
DIRECTV Customer Service

---------------------------------------------------------------
Original Message Follows:

02/23/2005 11:40 AM

DIRECTV FEEDBACK MESSAGE

Name: Gary Pitts

[Topic Selected: LocalChannels]

Details: I am confused a bit by your web page on the new SHVERA laws www.directv.com/shvera and hope you can clarify it a bit for me. I subscribed to DNS last year with waivers from 3 of the 4 major networks. I subscribed to local channels a couple of months ago. Your web page says "If you have Distant Network Services (DNS) � non local ABC, CBS, FOX and/or NBC feeds from Los Angeles or New York � and you originally added this service prior to November 1999, the December 2004 Satellite Home Viewer Extension and Reauthorization Act (SHVERA) may require changes to your DIRECTV® service." Since I added DNS after 11/99, do I get to keep all my current programming?

Thanks,

Gary

OK folks it's time for some clarification.

my situation is LIL provided Tucson stations. I am 75 miles away "unserved" completely in analog except NBC. No HDTV OTA of course by any of the networks. I mean we are talking Grade "F" analog except NBC Grade "B".

Direct TV's claim is wrong and has been from the get go.

This is an FCC reply to me regarding the SHVERA.

Thank you for contacting the Federal Communications Commission.

The eligibility of a satellite TV subscriber to receive distant (NY/LA)
networks (whether analog or HD) is governed by a federal law and the law
does not grant the FCC to exercise discretion in this area.

In 1999, the Satellite Home Viewer Improvement Act (SHVIA) became law.
Among other things, the SHVIA authorized satellite TV companies to
provide local TV stations in areas where the company wished to do so.
The SHVIA also clarified that satellite TV subscribers were not eligible
to receive distant TV networks unless the local network affiliate did
not provide an adequate over-the-air signal to the subscriber's
location. In this regard, the SHVIA stated that a subscriber was
eligible to receive distant TV networks if the local network affiliates
did not provide a Grade B or better TV signal that the subscriber could
receive when using a conventional over-the-air roof antenna. (The
subscriber's ability to subscribe to cable TV service is not relevant).
In general, subscribers are required to obtain a waiver from the local
network affiliate prior to receiving a distant network. The waiver
indicates that the local station agrees that the subscriber cannot
receive at least Grade B local signal and authorizes the satellite
company to provide a distant network signal to that subscriber. The
SHVIA does not authorize the FCC to intervene if the local TV station
denies the waiver request.

Of particular interest to you, the SHVIA did not specifically address
whether subscribers were eligible to receive waivers for the sole
purpose of receiving a distant HD signal and did not authorize the FCC
to take any action on this issue. The U.S. Copyright Office, however,
expressed the opinion that the waiver process did not apply to distant
HD signals. (The U.S. Copyright Office is authorized to enforce certain
aspects of the SHVIA). Thus, federal law does not authorize the FCC to
require that satellite TV subscribers purchase local TV signals in order
to obtain distant analog or HD network signals.

A recent federal law, however, appears to address your HD concerns. On
December 8, 2004, the Satellite Home Viewer Extension and
Reauthorization Act of 2004 ("SHVERA") was enacted as part of the
Consolidated FY 2005 Appropriations Act (P.L. 108-447). The SHVERA
modified the SHVIA and made significant reforms regarding the ability of
satellite television subscribers to receive local and distant broadcast
network programming. Among other things, the SHVERA generally
authorizes satellite television carriers to provide distant digital
broadcast network signals to subscribers if certain conditions are
satisfied. For example, pursuant to the SHVERA, a subscriber generally
is eligible to receive the digital signal of a distant network station
if: (1) the subscriber is located outside of the predicted coverage
area of the analog signal of a local station affiliated with that
network; (2) the subscriber is "unserved", i.e., cannot receive, through
the use of a conventional, stationary, outdoor roof antenna, an
over-the-air network of at least Grade B intensity as defined by the
Commission; or (3) a signal test demonstrates that the subscriber cannot
receive a local digital signal that exceeds the signal intensity
standard as defined by the Commission. It should be noted, however,
that the test procedures for digital service established by the SHVERA
do not become effective until April 30, 2006 for local stations in the
top-100 television markets, and for local stations that are not within
the top-100 television markets, the test criteria will be effective on
July 15, 2007.

Based on the above, whether a satellite company offers local TV stations
in the area and whether a subscriber purchases the local channels is not
relevant to the subscriber's eligibility to receive distant HD
programming.

After much review of the SHVERA, Commission staff has opened a
proceeding and released a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM). For
information concerning this proceeding please visit this website:
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-256592A1.pdf.

I hope that this information is helpful.

C. Howell
Consumer & Governmental Affairs Bureau
Information Access & Privacy Office

Now what this letter means is the waiver process for HD is just like it was for analog and until the FCC defines the "digital white area" the analog signal is to be used especially since analog is travelling farther than HD digital OTA.

Dish Network currently is using the same waiver system and waivers, to grant distant nets as they have been since SHVIA. Direct TV has chosen to abandon them claiming falsely that it is mandated.

According to the letter above Even if you receive LIL and are "unserved" by one of the 3 categories listed. You are stiill entitled to Distant networks in HD only (only being a key word here).

In fact according to that letter the copyright office has stated the entire waiver process does not involve HD only network feeds. If you fall in one of the 3 categories of course.

I have been in another DBS forum (sorry) and have found out through other individuals that when Direct TV is approached with this letter, that they have stated that they cannot seprate SD and HD from distants for locally owned unserved areas.

But the fact remains that they are currently providing "HD only" feeds to numerous O&O areas throughout the country prior to the NFL playoffs. This can be verified at their web site.

The bottom line is Direct TV is appeasing the networks and trying to squash Dish Network at the consumer's expense by this huge HDTV LIL plan. They are in fact lying to the public about their capabilities, to delay for as long as possible, DNS HD to locally owned station consumers.

While someone mentioned in this thread that DTV is entitled to completely abandon the DNS system and they are right. I firmly believe they are not entitled to pick and choose whom the provide this service too. The fact that thay provide it already to O&O's is B.S. In my opinion.

Anyway DTV is starting to get on my nerves but they have the monoploy on the NFL ST.

according to the letter above (and you can use it if you need it to fight back) anyone who was allowed DNS under the SHVIA and are no longer allowed DNS, who has an HDV and only wants HD feeds of the DNS, is entitled to it by DirecT TV and Dish.

The only ones I can think of that would not be entitled would be DNS customers prior to the SHVIA.

other than that all existing DNS customers and New DNS customers are entitled to HD only feeds DNS through Direct TV and DISH aslong as the qualify in 1 of the 3 categories.

Just remember Dish still uses the old waiver system and noone is going after them.

I need to inform everyone here that I just got off the phone with the FCC. They called me and after further review the letter that I received from them and posted here is a wrong assessment.

The law as we have been complaining about exists exactly as we have been complaining about. That letter is now wrong.

Hey i'm only telling you as this stuff happens.

Small distinction but it is DTV not HD that we are talking about. Though you need DTV before you can get HD it isn't always the reverse.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)