Status
Please reply by conversation.
I also got a response, and am very excited about the prospect of saying nothing at all about whatever it is that might or might not happen if I am ultimately selected to test whatever it is! :D

I got the email back asking for agreement to the terms and conditions of the test. They also this time wanted my account number.

Are you serious ? They can't tie your username here to the information supplied to to Dish.

I think some people have enough "honor", that if they agree to a confidentiality "agreement", that they "agree" to keep the information confidential. I know I will, at least!

Tom in TX

How lame is this? Internet Explorer 6+ required. I'd be happy to test it for them with a modern browser rather than some non-compliant kludge like IE 6. If people knew the crap web programmers have to go through to get web sites working properly with IE in addition to all the standards-based browsers, they would probably be surprised the "Interweb" works at all. Of course, one can always just use the .net stuff MS provides for free, like a good crack dealer, but then they might actually have to think for themselves when they run into some incompatibility or bug when a Firefox user tries to use their site.

No thanks. I'll skip the beta. I'll probably skip the product all together if it requires IE.

Ted

They can mine. I just thought we would keep the SatelliteGuys integrety clean....
Too late.... People have already "announced" their parts. Hell, Scott has talked about Slingboxing into other people's DVRs to see how it works. We don't know who they are, but they're not keeping their part of the NDA they agreed to.

How lame is this? Internet Explorer 6+ required. I'd be happy to test it for them with a modern browser rather than some non-compliant kludge like IE 6. If people knew the crap web programmers have to go through to get web sites working properly with IE in addition to all the standards-based browsers, they would probably be surprised the "Interweb" works at all. Of course, one can always just use the .net stuff MS provides for free, like a good crack dealer, but then they might actually have to think for themselves when they run into some incompatibility or bug when a Firefox user tries to use their site.

No thanks. I'll skip the beta. I'll probably skip the product all together if it requires IE.

Ted

:confused:

I have many more issue with sites rendering in Firefox than in IE7.

Sites are designed and/or tested for IE compatibility, in general, because it's far and away the most common. Standards-compliance means something to a committee of geeks, but not to the general public.

FWIW, I'm well aware that IE is slowly losing share, but it's still the highest. I'm also, and have been for as long as it's been available, a long-term Mozilla / Phoenix / Firefox user.

:confused:

That is because of all the non-standard extensions and other corruptions MS builds into their web development tools which are incompatible with Firefox, Opera, Safari, etc. If you use MS's tools, it isn't guaranteed to work with other browsers.

My company builds standards-based web applications. The reason we do this is to reach a wider audience than writing just for IE. We spend untold days on QA making sure things work right with IE while testing other browsers takes only a few hours for a given application/feature. IE is a nasty bit of technology to deal with.

I only use IE personally for 2 things: My company's expense reporting and purchasing systems which are written in PeopleSoft for IE and over which I have no influence.

Ted

I use Firefox almost exclusively at home on my Mac, but with the exception of testing, I won't be programming my box from home. At work, and let's face it, in most places outside the home, IE is what we're likely to find (not for everyone, but for most people). So, if it works with IE, that works for me.

Has anyone gotten the software update yet?

If they're publicly asking for beta help, they've not req'd NDAs in the past.

Also, most people are at work during the day. How many know their receiver ID numbers ?

Just access your account and your receivers and their numbers are listed right there.

All firefox users should download the IE tab add on tool, which allows you to specify certain sites as IE only and will actually load the site within the firefox browser, using IE. It's very handy and saves me from ever having to load IE standalone.

I hope they plan on making it easier to access through non-IE browsers also. Primarily so that I can access it via the browser on my Treo Smartphone. That will be the ultimate convenience.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts