Signal Amp

Rangers484

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 21, 2007
Palmyra, Virginia, United States
Since the merger I have noticed more and more signal loss and drop outs on my XM units in the cars. Maybe it is related to the reduction of terrestrial repeaters.

Anyone know of a high gain car antenna or a signal amplifier that is available?

Do you drive a big rig? If not, don't bother. The high gain antennae are huge. The only ones I've seen are like 12x12 and designed for mounting on the outside of a building. I think there was a 'trucker' antenna too, but IIRC that was like the Terk 'flying saucer' and would look goofy on a car too.

Are you noticing the dropouts in the city or just randomly? If buildings are blocking the signal and there are no ground repeaters in the area, even a high gain antenna won't help. However if it is happening at random (or maybe you notice a pattern, like only when it rains, when it's hot out, etc), you more than likely have a failing antenna or the cable is chafed/crushed or fraying internally.

Thanks, I saw the ones you were talking about and was hoping there was something smaller, or a booster that was in line available.

We have certain spots around town with trees and other geography that have always caused momentary drop outs but it seems to be getting worse and spreading to newer areas.

I had thought at one point it could be the antenna failing but it happens in all 3 of my cars with more and more frequency lately.

Basically what happened was XM became more like Sirius, crappy reception. They got rid of many ground repeaters

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)