signal attenuation -barrel connectors

truckracer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 17, 2004
Charleston wv
Does anyone know how much signal attenuation occurs when using ground blocks or barrel connectors on RG-6 cable. any recomendations on maximum allowable number of connections in a given line (obviously no breaks in the line is best) and what effect does in line connections have on diseqc commands? I was curious because i have a structured media cabinet in my house where all of my rg-6 cables run from my dishes outside (yes i have a few-the neighbors just love that!) and terminate. from here they are jumpered to the appropriate rooms with the sat receivers. I have diseqc switches on a couple of my dish antennas plus ground blocks then barrel connectors in the media cabinet, barrel connectors in the wallplates behind each tv with a jumper going to the receivers. Is this too many connections?

The factors that contribute to signal attenuation--more accurately described as electrical resistance in this case--is more of a function of several variables: The quality of your RG-6; how well your connections are sealed against the elements (thus preserving the integrity of the circuit); the type and quality of barrels you are using (use high frequency barrels); the number of "breaks" in the line; the use of diplexors (if possible, keep your high frequency and low frequency signals on separate lines);and the type and quality of your fittings.

If you are overly concerned about the signal strength that is reaching your box, or if you suspect too many breaks are adversely affecting your signal, you could comparison test with a length of cable straightlined from you dish to your box, and see how it compares to your existing lines.

If you do, in fact, have significant signal loss, you can try "cleaning up your connections" as mentioned previously, or you could insert a line amp.

Unless you are trying to carry the signal more than 150'-200', I wouldn't think you have much to be concerned about.

Make sure you are using QUALITY barrel connectors and grounding blocks. I had a single (cheap) barrel connector that was stopping all of my OTA channels from coming in.

Check out DishStore.net...Ive had good luck with these barrel connectors and grounding blocks.

http://www.dishstore.net/index.php?cPath=51

Thanks guys

I tried the straight run from my receiver to the dish. I noticed only about 1-2% increase in signal . This straight run was about 30 feet shorter than my conventional run. So this is not bad. :)

Thanks for the help and for making this a great site. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)