Signal Attenuation Problem with Mosquitoes

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

linuxman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 16, 2006
North West of St. Louis, MO
Yesterday evening as I was watching my 4DTV on my 7.5 foot dish, I kept noticing the signal kept cutting out. I was on W5 which has a pretty strong signal and I couldn't figure out what was wrong. Wasn't raining anywhere close and rain doesn't affect C-Band anyway.

I went outside, and the dish the 4DTV runs off of is on the side of the building just above the roof line. Pointed at W5, it is turned more to the West than center and I noticed a huge swarm of mosquitoes in front of the dish.

I thought, "this shouldn't be a problem, just a bunch of mosquitoes". After looking closer, I finally saw what they were carrying. They had a small child captured in the swarm and were trying to carry it up and over the side of the building and dish. :)

Seriously, they are so thick here with all the stagnant water around the town, I did go outside last evening and they swarmed me. It was like riding a motorcycle and bugs hitting you in the face except I was just walking.

Just got back from Lowes with a black-light bug zapper with mosquito attractor along with some mosquito/bug spray for outside and inside.

I will not allow myself to held a prisoner in my building by a bunch of mosquitoes. :eek:

I feel your pain. We've had a very wet year here in Holland, and the skeeters are terrible. 81 degrees outside right now , with a breeze, but I still have to work with OFF applied liberally, and a long sleeve shirt plus a "boonie" hat . I was resetting my SG2100 early this morning, with skeeters taking big bites out of me !
:)

Well I just slaughtered at least a million of the critters.

I bought the Cutter Bug-Free Backyard that you put on the water hose. I sprayed down the side of the building the porches, all my trees, (15 -20 foot high), the front grass, shrubs and flowers.

You should have seen them come out of the trees, shrubs, and flowers. Holy Cow, I have never seen so many mosquitoes. I could be on a commercial for one of the labs where they grow them. :eek:

Maybe we should look for a "mosquito " market. People have made money on sillier ideas ! Personally, since Dow Chemical is in Central Michigan, I think a little napalm would work just fine on my "back 40". Oh, to be able to call in for the "fast movers " to take out the tree line.
:)

call in an air strike !

As I was reading through this new thread, all at one time, I was about to suggest a 4th of July solution to the swarms.
Cherry bomb in the swarming cloud!

But then as I read further, and got to the napalm..... well, I guess you guys out gunned me! :)

I spent two years in Vietnam around 1970, but can't recall any particular system that'd work well on the bugs...
... such as daisy cutters ... otherwise known as fuel/air bombs ...
and not take down your building... animals... and relatives...

And calling in Puff the Magic Dragon would probably upset the town's folk, way more than the water and the levee - :eek:

What we had when I was a kid in Florida, was a county truck which'd drive through the neighborhood, pumping insecticide into a giant fan.
It put out a white-cloud about six feet in diameter, angled toward the houses it passed.
My Mom would run and close the windows if she heard it coming.
If she was distracted, I'd open all the windows, and turn on a giant fan we had, and suck the cloud into the house.
Well, what else would a kid do? - :rolleyes:
Put a crimp in the bugs, though! Damned right it did! - :up

What we had when I was a kid in Florida, was a county truck which'd drive through the neighborhood, pumping insecticide into a giant fan.
It put out a white-cloud about six feet in diameter, angled toward the houses it passed.
We used to find that mosquito fogger and follow it around town on our bicycles riding in the cloud. Never had a problem with mosquitoes the rest of the evening until bath time. :)

And yes, I think Puff the Magic Dragon might upset everyone. :cool:

As I was reading through this new thread, all at one time, I was about to suggest a 4th of July solution to the swarms.
Cherry bomb in the swarming cloud!

But then as I read further, and got to the napalm..... well, I guess you guys out gunned me! :)

I spent two years in Vietnam around 1970, but can't recall any particular system that'd work well on the bugs...
... such as daisy cutters ... otherwise known as fuel/air bombs ...
and not take down your building... animals... and relatives...

And calling in Puff the Magic Dragon would probably upset the town's folk, way more than the water and the levee - :eek:

My Mom would run and close the windows if she heard it coming.
If she was distracted, I'd open all the windows, and turn on a giant fan we had, and suck the cloud into the house.
Well, what else would a kid do? - :rolleyes:
Put a crimp in the bugs, though! Damned right it did! - :up
we still have those trucks here now,and we had one of those attic fans to suck it into the house,those fans are very strong it would make the curtains stand straight out.

Linuxman, be careful about getting stung by these mosquitoes. The ones around here often carry the West Nile virus. A low-flying twin-engine aircraft criss-crosses Metairie just about every night during the summer spraying insecticide to keep their populations down.

Linuxman, be careful about getting stung by these mosquitoes. The ones around here often carry the West Nile virus. A low-flying twin-engine aircraft criss-crosses Metairie just about every night during the summer spraying insecticide to keep their populations down.

Hey Tron,

We are trying not to get bitten by these critters, but you just can't escape all of them. :)

Most people I tell this story to really don't believe me, but one summer when I went canoeing/camping, when dusk came you could hear the buzz of the mosquitoes coming across the lake. You would make a mad dash for the tent. Once they got across the lake (we camped on an island to be away from the mosquities and other animals) there buzzing sound was so loud that even if you had a pocket radio, there buzzing sound drowned it out. The entertainment for the night was getting rid of the few that made it inside the tent. Most times while camping the mosquites were not such a problem, as a light breeze would keep most of them away, or they would not be that thick. It was when dusk came and the breeze died and you would hear that buzzing coming across the lake. The one time they were extremely thick. Most times they were bad at night, but the once they were really bad.

Most people I tell this story to really don't believe me, but one summer when I went canoeing/camping, when dusk came you could hear the buzz of the mosquitoes coming across the lake. You would make a mad dash for the tent. Once they got across the lake (we camped on an island to be away from the mosquities and other animals) there buzzing sound was so loud that even if you had a pocket radio, there buzzing sound drowned it out. The entertainment for the night was getting rid of the few that made it inside the tent. Most times while camping the mosquites were not such a problem, as a light breeze would keep most of them away, or they would not be that thick. It was when dusk came and the breeze died and you would hear that buzzing coming across the lake. The one time they were extremely thick. Most times they were bad at night, but the once they were really bad.
I believe you simply because a friend of mine went fishing up where you are and he told pretty much the same story, so I know it is possible. :)

I went outside, and the dish the 4DTV runs off of is on the side of the building just above the roof line. Pointed at W5, it is turned more to the West than center and I noticed a huge swarm of mosquitoes in front of the dish.

Smart little critters... To get in front of a man's dish so they can have him for dinner when he get outside to check why he having problems. seeing his programs on tv...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)