Signal problems ,help me out

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

meathead76

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 4, 2009
Razorback Football
Some of the HD channels have been getting a searching for signal message
here's my signals
101 sat
89-98 transponders 12, 18, 20, 26, 28 at zero

110 sat 79, 88, 82

119 sat
90 to 98
transponders 24,26, 28 at zero

99(c)sat

22 to 31
odd transponders ar zero except for 11 at 22

99(s)
22 to 52 with lots of zeros spotbeam sat? But numbers still low

103 (s)
all zeros but 24 reads 27

103 (ca) 30 to 40

103 (cb)
36 to 51

obviously I need to bring the numbers up to minimize rain fade bur what about the zeros?
an up to date transponder map would help me know which I should be seeing signals on
zip code is 71852

some of them zeros are spotbeams, however after your dish gets realigned ( i would set up a service call as the slimline dishes are not really DIY friendly unless you know what you are doing ) most of the zeros and low numbers will come up to were they should be.

Ignore the zero signals on 101 and 119 because they are spotbeams pointed at a different city. Ignore 99s and 103s because they are all spotbeams. The critical ones for national HD are 99c, 103ca and 103cb. All transponders on those satellites should show high 80s at least, preferably mid-90s. Looks like a straightforward dish misalignment problem to me.

if you want to try and realign your dish here is the steps if you feel comfortable enough or have enough experience. Doing this you risk loosing all signal strength.

Here is a copy and paste of the instructions found by doing a search for "alignment"

Alignment:
Set Azimuth, Elevation and Tilt based on the customers Zip Code

Rough peak the Azimuth pointing at the 101 satellite location by obtaining the highest possible signal level on your signal level meter, with the azimuth rough aligned, tighten the mast clamp bolts.
Using the Azimuth screw bolt, turn clock wise and counter clock wise until you get the highest signal level on the 101 satellite.

Using the Elevation screw bolt, turn clock wise and counter clock wise until you get the highest signal level on the 101 satellite.
Record the signal level for 101, Set the Elevation plastic dial to zero.
Using the Elevation screw bolt, turn 2 full turns counter clock wise, record the signal level. Rotate the bolt clockwise counting the number of turns until the same signal level is reached. Divide this number of turns by 2, turn the Elevation plastic dial to zero.
Rotate the Elevation screw counter clock wise by the divided number of turns, tighten the Elevation bolts down.
The signal level should be the same or higher than with your rough alignment.
Record the signal level for 101, Set the Azimuth plastic dial to zero.
Using the Azimuth screw bolt, turn 2 full turns counter clock wise, record the signal level.
Rotate the bolt clockwise counting the number of turns until the same signal level is reached. Divide this number of turns by 2, turn the Azimuth plastic dial to zero.
Rotate the Azimuth screw counter clock wise by the divided number of turns, tighten the Azimuth bolts down. The signal level should be the same or higher than with your rough alignment.
Check all nuts and bolts and make sure they are tightened to specification. Pay close attention to the LNB lock down bolts. They must be installed wrench tight to prevent LNB movement.

Thanks everyone for the help

I checked the plumb on the mast (pole) which was off so I had to fix that and it helped a lot , the signals that were in the 30s are 75 to 88 depending on the transponders, with the SD sats in the 95 to 100 range.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the help

I checked the plumb on the mast (pole) which was off so I had to fix that and it helped a lot , the signals that were in the 30s are 75 to 88 depending on the transponders, with the SD sats in the 95 to 100 range.
You got it............assume the installer had the mast plumb when he did the installation. Try looking at which direction the dish moved before you realigned the mast. It is that direction that my need additional support if it moves again. For now retighten the bolts and see how it goes. + What CWAHL posted above is called dithering and you can do it if you really gotta play with things. An installer shortcut = with one finger push and then pull each direction the dish can go. When perfectly aligned any touch will make the numbers go down. The other consideration is that the tuning on the 101 sat can be a little low ( high 80s to low 90s) and work fine. It is the 99 & 103 that provide your HD signals so they should be as high as possible.

Or you can do nothing....your rig will work fine with the repair you just did.

Joe

You got it............assume the installer had the mast plumb when he did the installation. Try looking at which direction the dish moved before you realigned the mast. It is that direction that my need additional support if it moves again. For now retighten the bolts and see how it goes. + What CWAHL posted above is called dithering and you can do it if you really gotta play with things. An installer shortcut = with one finger push and then pull each direction the dish can go. When perfectly aligned any touch will make the numbers go down. The other consideration is that the tuning on the 101 sat can be a little low ( high 80s to low 90s) and work fine. It is the 99 & 103 that provide your HD signals so they should be as high as possible.

Or you can do nothing....your rig will work fine with the repair you just did.

Joe
I think I'll leave it as I have it now and see how it works

I think I'll leave it as I have it now and see how it works

Good plan,
I am investing a little time in rerigging an OTA antenna. This is the time of year when we get snow around here and an antenna under a roof will work in the rare event the DTV dish is snow covered or blocked by the atmosphere.

Enjoy,

Joe

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts