Signal problems on local channels only

Grogck

Original poster
May 26, 2015
Birmingham, AL
Lately all of our local channels have been having spotty reception (constant signal dropouts making live/recorded TV pretty much unwatchable) and I wasn't sure if the local channels fed off a different satellite. ?

For the record, I know I'm living on borrowed time with Dish as my neighbor's trees obscure most of the southern horizon for me. Prior to moving into our current house we'd been with DirecTv, but were unable to get a satisfactory signal with them in the new home so we had to switch back to Dish. The Dish installer told me I likely only had a few years before the trees became an issue for them as well so I'm assuming this is the first of the issues I'll eventually be having across all channels. I just don't know how long before it'll become an issue for all the others and if buying an OTA dongle is worth it if everything will start dropping out over the next couple months?

Lately all of our local channels have been having spotty reception (constant signal dropouts making live/recorded TV pretty much unwatchable) and I wasn't sure if the local channels fed off a different satellite. ?

For the record, I know I'm living on borrowed time with Dish as my neighbor's trees obscure most of the southern horizon for me. Prior to moving into our current house we'd been with DirecTv, but were unable to get a satisfactory signal with them in the new home so we had to switch back to Dish. The Dish installer told me I likely only had a few years before the trees became an issue for them as well so I'm assuming this is the first of the issues I'll eventually be having across all channels. I just don't know how long before it'll become an issue for all the others and if buying an OTA dongle is worth it if everything will start dropping out over the next couple months?
Your leafing out is probably near it's maximum for this seasons growth but there will still be a chance of some loss. Adding OTA reception will probably be a temporary solution. Over the next year the trees will continue to grow and you will need a permanent solution. Cut the trees back if possible or go to CABLE or INTERNET as permanent solutions.

Thanks for the feedback. I'd rather bash my head against the wall than go back to Charter's ancient technology.

I was already starting to look at some web/streaming-options even before we had this issue. Ironically if/when I finally have to kill Dish they also own the platform we'll most likely migrate over to with Sling TV. There's still some weaknesses there (single stream currently, limited DVR-like functionality) but the price is tough to beat - especially since that covers probably 90% of the non-OTA stuff we usually watch. The biggest problem right now is no platform nicely marries that service and OTA. It may be that I end up getting the Dish OTA receiver as a stop-gap and hope I can get by with Dish for one more year. Then maybe by then (or before next Spring) some platform will come out that offers good OTA/DVR-functionality coupled with Sling TV. Ironically, that would seem to be right up EchoStar's alley....

Thanks for the feedback. I'd rather bash my head against the wall than go back to Charter's ancient technology.

I was already starting to look at some web/streaming-options even before we had this issue. Ironically if/when I finally have to kill Dish they also own the platform we'll most likely migrate over to with Sling TV. There's still some weaknesses there (single stream currently, limited DVR-like functionality) but the price is tough to beat - especially since that covers probably 90% of the non-OTA stuff we usually watch. The biggest problem right now is no platform nicely marries that service and OTA. It may be that I end up getting the Dish OTA receiver as a stop-gap and hope I can get by with Dish for one more year. Then maybe by then (or before next Spring) some platform will come out that offers good OTA/DVR-functionality coupled with Sling TV. Ironically, that would seem to be right up EchoStar's alley....

Check out the ChannelMaster DVR+ for OTA recording. Its made by Echostar (Dish) for Channel Master and will have SlingTv integrated soon. Tivo OTA is nice for OTA and online streaming too.

http://zatznotfunny.com/2015-05/channel-master-dvr-to-launch-sling-tv/

Birmingham locals are on both ARCs, perhaps you have line of site to the other ARC if you the one are currently aimed at is disappearing.

Why temporary? If the OP can get OTA, it would (should) be permanent (barring cable breaking down, ends corroding, etc which could happen with any provider).
It is a temporary solution because the rest of his DISH channels will eventually be lost to tree growth.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts