Signal Quality

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

rjc3895

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Sep 28, 2004
I'm pointing my dish at Galaxy 10R. I get a max quality signal of 34. It may drop to the mid 20's and then back to 34. Then the signal cuts out for split second and jumps back up to 34. Since my elevation is set around 30 degrees, my satellite is pointing toward the trees in my back yard. My dish sits at ground level about 75-100 feet from these trees. My guess is that the trees may be interfering with my signal quality. I tried to scan for channels but had no luck. I'm using a Traxis 2500 receiver, and a Fortec 80cm dish with a Fortec universal LNB. Do I need to move my dish further from the trees or is something else going on here? Thanks.

Depending on how tall the tree is, you might have to move the dish.

I get an average of 70 on my 2 receivers on Galaxy 10 11799 V 26660.

Is the elevation correct? Also, you might want to try the skew the LNB rotating it

rjc3895 said:
Do I need to move my dish further from the trees ... ?
Setting up my satellite dishes in the yard forced me to use trigonometry in real life, maybe for the first time ever.

Take your elevation angle, then look up the tangent. Divide the height of the tree by the tangent, and you'll know the minimum distance from the base of the tree to your dish.

Example: Suppose you're trying to clear a 50' tree to reach a satellite with a dish inclination factor of 41 degrees. The tangent for 41 degrees is about 0.87. 50 divided by 0.87 is about 57.5, so a ground-based dish needs to be at least 57 and a half feet away from the base of the tree.

To find the height of the tree, start with a sunny day. Plant a yardstick in the ground and measure its shadow and the tree's shadow. Tree height = (yardstick height * tree shadow length) / yardstick length.

I moved the dish about 5 feet, but I also re-checked my elevation. I lowered the elevation and BAM I had 45% quality signal on Galaxy 10R. :)

you're getting there :)

I would use 11799 V 26660 as the transponder to get the best signal on. It gives a higher reading than some other TP's

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts