Signal To DVD Recorder

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Carl987

Original poster
Sep 30, 2010
East Coast
I tried to Hook my Sony DVD recorder[Mod.#RDR-GXD455] to my Dish reciever [Mod.#vip222k]. I cannot get a signal to my DVD recorder. But the signal passes thru the Recorder,to the T.V. I even tried an RF Modulator. I tried all the inputs on the T.V. remote. I would like to do some timer recording.Can anyone suggest something I missed. That would be most appreciated. Thank You

I don't have experience with that model. However, I am posting just to let you know that I do get Dish signals in all my DVD recorders--Panasonic and JVC--using S-Video, Composite Video, and RF from the Home Distribution including the 222K (also the 722K and 722 and 222). I hope someone familiar with this model can help you.

Try this.

Assuming you have the recorder hooked up A/V or S-vid. . you must tell the DVD where to look for the signal If above soarce go into menu and select [line] Sony usually calls it that or A/V . Or get a different brand recorder. We have seen Sony products living on their name the last couple of years. some of the worst H/D pictures we have encountered were on Sony's. And we do sell them when a customer insists.
icon4.gif

There used to be DVD recorders for component RGB+RW, hard to find. I didn't realize until later they were likely 480p or 480i and would not work with most TVs, which expect 720p or 1080i, although the Dish receiver can output 480. Anyway, it would only be slightly better than S-video+RW and that slightly better than composite (Y+RW). RW is the audio red and white. I would not have been happy with 480 and degrading my TV signal, which would have to be the same if shared. I am happy with my army of hard drives.
-Ken

I do not know of any dvd recorder that has component inputs. I may be wrong, but the industry mandated that component and hdmi could not be used in dvd recorders.

If one searches the net, there are a few niche devices out there with component inputs, but you are correct, the major brands have cowed to the demands of the content owners and won't risk lawsuits. The lack of ANY inputs, even just analog, is a source of irritation for many TiVo Series 2 owners who step-up to the Series 3 (HD) or Series 4 Premiere. Some would record OTA digital HD and be satisfied with SD for the output of their SD Dish or DirecTV sat box or other output into the TiVo like the Series 2 permitted. They don't get how the content owners imposed "NO inputs" on just about every HD DVR out there, so TiVo lost a legacy feature. Too bad. Of course the TV 2 output on the SD Dish boxes could be recored using the analog tuner of the TiVo. And if one has Dish ViP's then the Home Distribution outputs can be recorded using the TiVo S3, HD, HDXL, S4 analog tuners.

The Hauppage HD PVR has component, composite, and s-video in. Also has analog and optical audio in. It has component out with either optical out or analog out for audio. I wonder if DRM would prevent you from "watching" a satellite DVR'ed program into the HD PVR.

The Hauppage HD PVR has component, composite, and s-video in. Also has analog and optical audio in. It has component out with either optical out or analog out for audio. I wonder if DRM would prevent you from "watching" a satellite DVR'ed program into the HD PVR.

You can record Dish HD content using component / optical out using Hauppage HD PVR.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)