Signal to Noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
When Sat Guys first started up, most of the people that joined had a pretty good idea of what was going on. If they didn't, they kept their mouth shut, listened and learned. Now the ones that know what is going on are few and far between. Most of the others know just enough to be dangerous, and don't listen because they already know it all.

Now this I find offensive. There are at least 100 people on this board who are knowlegeable in some area and try their best to respond with useful and informative posts. It gets kind of tough when the 5000th person asks how he can get Boston HD locals from Podunk, Montana, but we try. I think that for the most part, we do a pretty good job here.

As others have mentioned, you need to ignore the yammer. After awhile, you learn how to recognize it from the thread title and just tune it out.

What do you find offensive? That there are people that know just enough to be dangerous, but not enough to know that they don't know anything? The ones that answer questions but have no idea what they are talking about? The ones that think they know it all, and are unwilling to listen?

Or do you think the post was pointed at you?

As far as ignoring the yammer, I probably only read one or two percent of the stuff on the forums.

What do you find offensive? That there are people that know just enough to be dangerous, but not enough to know that they don't know anything? The ones that answer questions but have no idea what they are talking about? The ones that think they know it all, and are unwilling to listen?

Or do you think the post was pointed at you?

As far as ignoring the yammer, I probably only read one or two percent of the stuff on the forums.

No, I don't think it was pointed to me. I have been on a self imposed exile for the last couple of weeks, as some things happened here that I didn't agree with and I needed to go off for awhile and find my own perspective.

I guess I was offended that you put everybody into that same ignorant bucket. I agree you said "most", but I find that the majority of the heavy posters are posting from experience. You say you only read 2% of what is out there. I can only think that you are spending your 2% on war zones and the "When is new HD coming" threads. The tech stuff in DISH, all of the FTA, most of the home theater and a lot of the BD/HD-DVD is informative in my experience. You need to look for the good stuff before seeking out and then complaining about the yammer chatter.

OTOH, you seem to have an attitude about this, and apparently your mind is made up. You have argued with everyone who has tried to present a balanced viewpoint. This thread has now hit my personal 'yammer' filter and I will no longer try to teach the pig to sing.

I apologize for and retract the last sentence. Unfortunately, since Scott has put up the new software, I cannot edit posts from the work computer.

I will remove it from home, but basically I just hit the post button too quickly after reading BCW's previous response, and my gut reaction got on the page. Rereading everything, the response is way overboard.

No problem.
All the "yammer" finally hit my breaking point. I normally don't post more than once or twice a month avg. My interests are in the tech area's and FTA. (10' patriot C & Ku, 4dtv, traxis 3500, quali, and a 912.)

I'm also a senior citizen, and can be just as eccentric (senile?) as I want to.

When Sat Guys first started up, most of the people that joined had a pretty good idea of what was going on. If they didn't, they kept their mouth shut, listened and learned. Now the ones that know what is going on are few and far between. Most of the others know just enough to be dangerous, and don't listen because they already know it all.

I have to agree. There is a lot lost from how it used to be. I do not really care what some chat session with a clueless Dish CSR went, yet people seem to get great pleasure in posting them over and over like they really mean something. For a while when the site was new one could read every thread. Now it is only worth trying to pick out a few and read them. So many worthless new threads a day polluting the site.

It is a problem of site growth, eventually it just becomes an unwieldy mess. So, now I just pick my way through the posts a couple times a day and ignore the rest.

Besides ignoring certain threads and whole forums, another thing you can do is use the "ignore" feature. When you've had enough of someone who seems to never post anything constructive, or perhaps who has an axe to grind and harps on it endlessly, your life will improve by putting them on "ignore." True, you'll still see a few of their posts when someone quotes them, but maybe that small amount will serve to remind you why they're on "ignore."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts