Signal weakens as day gets hotter

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Does the cable from the multiswitch go directly to the receiver, or does it go to a wallplate, with a jumper going to the receiver? Could be the barrel in the wallplate.

Switch the shop lead on the multiswitch to a different port (change it with one of the house ones). Let's see if the problem moves. That will further isolate your ghost.

Tried that with the old multiswitch. Moved it to two of the unused ports and one of the ones being used in the house with no change. didn't see the need to try it with the new multiswitch. Also I got the tech to run a dual RG6 cable to the shop this time so I can be HD ready. Both of the cables are connected at the new multiswitch and I have tried both at the receiver to see if one port was better than the other. Still no change. Thanks.

Tried that with the old multiswitch. Moved it to two of the unused ports and one of the ones being used in the house with no change. didn't see the need to try it with the new multiswitch. Also I got the tech to run a dual RG6 cable to the shop this time so I can be HD ready. Both of the cables are connected at the new multiswitch and I have tried both at the receiver to see if one port was better than the other. Still no change. Thanks.

That definitely isolates it to the shop line run (or the TV). I remember that the shop coax run is new, is it possible to move that TV & box from the shop to very near the switch, then use a short piece of jumper coax from the switch to the TV/box?

If the problem goes away, then there is no question it is the line run to the shop.

It's possible since you have over a 100' run from the switch to the shop, you may need to replace the shop RG6 run with RG11. The long run to the shop from the switch (added to the run distance from the LNB to the switch, and loss from the switch itself) could be causing too much line loss when the temp heats up. Heat = increased resistance.

Back-up plan: thought about holding an exorcism?:rolleyes:

I did try that before I ever called DTV for a service call. I took the receiver and a small portable tv (not the one I use in my shop though) and set them up next to the switch with a 6 foot cable and all channels came in fine. That is when I bought new RG6 cable and tried it with no success thinking that the buried cable was bad. Yesterday I asked the tech that has been working this problem if he thought it would be worthwhile to try RG11 and he said that they did not use it. I should mention here that he works for DirecTV and not a sub-contractor. I think they are limited to the distance they will run cable under a normal install and beyond that you have to pay a sub-contractor to do it, so all they carry is RG6. I pay the monthly fee for the protection plan and the tech has been out here three times already on this problem. Naturally I would like them to fix this so I don't have to come out of pocket to a contractor. The tech said he was thinking about putting a separate round 2 LNB dish on the roof just for my shop TV if it was ok with me. I told him I didn't see why not. Any reason you guys have not to do that? I still keep coming back to the fact that my original setup worked fine for two years. You are the first person to mention it could be the TV. How could the TV play a role in this?

The TV could play a role if the tuner is getting too hot - distorting the incoming signal. Not very likely, but possible (just like a lot of things in this strange problem).

If the DTV tech is willing to hang a second dish on the shop - do it! No issues running off 2 dishes and solves the issue of the long cable run. Assume the shop is not HD?

Next time the shop tv gets snowy try this if you have'nt already. Set the small portable that you spoke of earlier right beside the shop tv and connect the other cable from the duplex cable. See if you get a picture on the small tv while getting snow on the shop tv. Maybe it's time for a trip to Best Buy for a replacement.

I don't believe that the WB68 has any amplification, while it does have insertion loss. So, you're looking at the loss through ~120' of coax plus the loss through the WB68. Just might need to invest in one of these.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)