Significantly viewed locals ?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

PMKS

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 7, 2005
South Texas
What happened to Significantly Viewed Locals?

The Cable Company in my city only offers Corpus Christi locals, but I get Houston locals only through DirecTV..

I can travel 18 miles to the next county and get San Antonio locals through DirecTV if I lived there, and Houston is farther away from me than both San Antonio and Corpus, go figure.

I thought the Significantly Viewed Locals law would enable me to at least get the Corpus locals too, but DirecTV won't offer them to me :(, what govt agency can I complain too?

What happened to Significantly Viewed Locals?

The Cable Company in my city only offers Corpus Christi locals, but I get Houston locals only through DirecTV..

I can travel 18 miles to the next county and get San Antonio locals through DirecTV if I lived there, and Houston is farther away from me than both San Antonio and Corpus, go figure.

I thought the Significantly Viewed Locals law would enable me to at least get the Corpus locals too, but DirecTV won't offer them to me :(, what govt agency can I complain too?

Only a few areas get them. I do here in CT. Depending on the county you are in, you will get Boston, Providence RI, or NYC channels.

cable has different rules than satellite

cable's rules are from the late 60's-early 70's.....satellite is from the late 90's

cable has different rules than satellite

cable's rules are from the late 60's-early 70's.....satellite is from the late 90's

They should go by the same rules, then I would have one of the Lexington, KY channels.

Significantly viewed stations
In addition to the broadcast signals that subscribers may receive under section [1] 338 and 339 of this title, a satellite carrier is also authorized to retransmit to a subscriber located in a community the signal of any station located outside the local market in which such subscriber is located, to the extent such signal—
(1) has, before December 8, 2004, been determined by the Federal Communications Commission to be a signal a cable operator may carry as significantly viewed in such community, except to the extent that such signal is prevented from being carried by a cable system in such community under the Commission’s network nonduplication and syndicated exclusivity rules; or
(2) is, after December 8, 2004, determined by the Commission to be significantly viewed in such community in accordance with the same standards and procedures concerning shares of viewing hours and audience surveys as are applicable under the rules, regulations, and authorizations of the Commission to determining with respect to a cable system whether signals are significantly viewed in a community.

Authority to grant station-specific waivers
Paragraphs (1) and (2) shall not prohibit a retransmission of a network station to a subscriber if and to the extent that the network station in the local market in which the subscriber is located, and that is affiliated with the same television network, has privately negotiated and affirmatively granted a waiver from the requirements of paragraph [2] (1) and (2) to such satellite carrier with respect to retransmission of the significantly viewed station to such subscriber.

So... I ought to be able to apply for a waiver, I wonder how we do this????

IMO, if you are within a spot beam you should be able to subscribe to any locals within that spot beam. :)

I have no idea what DirecTV will provide when and if they get around to providing locals to DMA 157. We don't have a full power NBC affiliate and The CW is on a subchannel. And, we are too far away to get any significantly viewed from Elmira or Syracuse.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)