Significantly Viewed/Neighboring DMA's

Status
Please reply by conversation.

teknophyle

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
SkyFILES: A Significantly-Viewed Win

When it comes to satellite TV legislation that's all but wrapped up on Capitol Hill, the small dish comes out a winner in terms of competing with the wired business.

Especially when it comes to the "significantly-viewed" provision contained in the Satellite Home Viewer Extension and Reauthorization Act (SHVERA).

SHVERA gives satellite TV the authority to transmit significantly viewed local TV stations to subscribers, an authority cable currently has on the books but has been a missing item for the dish. In certain areas, satellite TV will be allowed to retransmit signals from a neighboring DMA to a subscriber. The provision is conditioned on a subscriber receiving local TV service via satellite.

The advantage cable has enjoyed with its "significantly-viewed" provision is clear in Colorado. In Colorado Springs, for example, cable customers get Denver locals, yet that has not been an option for Colorado Springs-based satellite TV viewers.

The same is true for towns in Western Colorado, including Durango. Here, satellite TV viewers get Albuquerque locals but not Denver locals, yet stations from both DMAs are available to cable customers. Thus, Broncos fans in the Southwest corner of the state miss out on coverage of their favorite football team, and instead have to endure Dallas Cowboys games delivered from Albuquerque stations.

Hopefully, satellite TV's new significantly-viewed mandate can help clear up some of those TV discrepancies.

The satellite TV legislation may not be perfect, but the bill does help put the small dish on a more level playing field with the cable incumbent. (This week, for example, the Satellite Broadcasting and Communications Association took exception to the SkyBOX column from Evie Haskell concerning parts of the legislation, including the column's take on copyright royalty rates for superstations possibly going up for satellite TV.) There are parts of the legislation that are clearly a win for satellite TV, and the significantly-viewed provision is one of those pluses for the small dish.

It's expected the legislation, once lawmakers iron out a few items, will finally win Congressional approval next week, and it is certain President Bush will sign the bill into law. SHVERA is part of a massive must-pass appropriations bill.

Does this mean that in addition to your locals that you will be able to add neighboring DMA's to your local package?

teknophyle said:
Does this mean that in addition to your locals that you will be able to add neighboring DMA's to your local package?

I would hope that it would turn out to be a case of if the local cable company offers the channels, then satellite will be allowed to offer the channels. It's the only way I can see it being administered fairly.

Any more info? This would be a big boost for satellite tv. Esspecially in cities that don't have a WB or UPN offered with their local package. I've always wondered why cable could offer two cities locals, but not satellite.

Locals

AvoidLloyd said:
Any more info? This would be a big boost for satellite tv. Esspecially in cities that don't have a WB or UPN offered with their local package. I've always wondered why cable could offer two cities locals, but not satellite.

Bush has not signed the bill yet so it may take a few months. DTV has told me that the reason you can't have more than 1 set of locals is because you can't duplicate network programming along with sports and syndicate programming. Of course I don't belive them since cable can do this.

This may or may not be what you're talking about: In our Monterey/Salinas, CA DMA the cable company transmits channels from the adjoining SF Bay Area market with duplicate network afiliation to our local ones. However, during network programming or when duplicate syndicated shows like Wheel of Fortune are aired, an FCC blocking slide is displayed on the out of market station. I wonder how D* and E* would deal with that, or if the new legislation eliminates that.

Well, they can do it with the NFL sunday ticket - so I'm sure that it shouldn't be a problem.

fkostyn said:
Well, they can do it with the NFL sunday ticket - so I'm sure that it shouldn't be a problem.

totally different animal and this year they clamped down that if your loxcal Fox or CBS was shopwing the game its blacked out.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)