Silly question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tracker1998

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 6, 2008
Again, I'm asking as I do not know.
I think I have it right and would like confirmation.

Today I was setting up a second system with another CoolSat5000 on another set in the house and pointed to 101W. With the file Ver 0.05 loaded I happen to hit on 103W/C 3.740/V/29.270 and got something.

Here comes the silly part. When I see 4 digits on Lyngsat that tells me it C-band right?
I was not aware that a 36" dish could get C-band channels.
If they are strong egnough I guess you will tell me?

Why do they sell KU/C LNBS?

I'm, confused... Help, Tracker.

Again, I'm asking as I do not know.
I think I have it right and would like confirmation.

Today I was setting up a second system with another CoolSat5000 on another set in the house and pointed to 101W. With the file Ver 0.05 loaded I happen to hit on 103W/C 3.740/V/29.270 and got something.

Here comes the silly part. When I see 4 digits on Lyngsat that tells me it C-band right?
I was not aware that a 36" dish could get C-band channels.
If they are strong egnough I guess you will tell me?

Why do they sell KU/C LNBS?

I'm, confused... Help, Tracker.

While it is possible to get C-Band on a smaller dish like 1.2 m ...one would need a C-band LNB to begin with.

You are actually tuning a KU frequency. Your receiver does not know the difference between KU band and C-band as it only tunes an IF frequency that is sent from the LNBF between 950mhz and 2150mhz.

C-Band LNBFs send an IF range between 950mhz and 2150 mhz and only receive C-band frequencies. KU-Band LNBs send an IF between 950mhz and 2150mhz and only tune KU-Band frequencies.

How do you know what KU-Band frequency you are actually tuning with the receiver set to expect a C-Band frequency? Subtract the LO frequency from the tuned frequency and you will know the IF frequency that the receiver is tuning. 3740mhz Tuned - 5150(LO) = 1420mhz IF

What is the KU-Band frequency of 1420mhz IF with a standard LNBF with LO frequency 10750? 10750 (LO) + 1420mhz (IF) = 12170mhz.

You are actually tuning 12170 on KU-Band.

SatelliteAV

That would make sense as there was that program all over 101 at the same time.
Ok then.
Should I put up my BUD next spring??
LOL Tracker..

SatelliteAV

That would make sense as there was that program all over 101 at the same time.
Ok then.
Should I put up my BUD next spring??
LOL Tracker..
Only if you have no choice but to wait that long........lol
Your question has tripped up many people so dont feel bad. The main thing to remember is that if you are connected to a Ku LNB it will only rx Ku signals. Same so for C band. Where it can get tricky is when you have both feeds and have to verify your switch matrix if in doubt. I've not gotten around to doing Ku bandstacked yet, but can see it adding yet another dimension to the mix.....lol

When 12170 V 30000is inputted, I receive a SQ lock, but no TV or Radio services. Didn't look at it in the spectrum analyzer or the TS, probably an IP data service.

Are we talking about 101ºW?

I don't get anything on 12170V 29270 or 12170V 30000. But I do get a lock on 12171H 14609...:confused:

Must be a poorly aligned dish...

Only if you have no choice but to wait that long........lol
Your question has tripped up many people so dont feel bad. The main thing to remember is that if you are connected to a Ku LNB it will only rx Ku signals. Same so for C band. Where it can get tricky is when you have both feeds and have to verify your switch matrix if in doubt. I've not gotten around to doing Ku bandstacked yet, but can see it adding yet another dimension to the mix.....lol

melgarga

You read into that one.. LOL
A sense of humor you have!
Well for now the snow and the ground being frozen does pose a big problem.
I have much research to do to see if it's worth my while fixing up the 10' used dish I picked up the past spring. The equipment needed to make it all work and also see what is out there to view and see if it's worth the effort?

I would like to thank all that took the time to answer my question.
Wishing everyone here a happy time gathering with friends and loved ones at this time of year.
Tracker.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts