Simon et al...think this is a bad switch?

ITK

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
installed a 121 SD last night. running check switch..it wont see 110 on either turner. run back out to dish..its all there. its there before (at the switch) but not after it.
dp34.

Have you tried changing which ports the sats are connected to. Kinda hard to say if we don't know how is it hooked up and the other steps you have takne to troubleshoot it.....

theyre hooked up the way theyre supposed to be...119=1 110= 2 121=3.

to my knowledge it wont work "correctly" any other way.

BTW love yer mantra....calling me the cable guy is like saying the "F" word to yer momma lol

Sounds like bad 34. Interchange two input ports to see. I've seen doa DP34 that did not feed dc power thru to a certain port.

Inputs will work in any order with no problems.

inwo said:
Sounds like bad 34. Interchange two input ports to see. I've seen doa DP34 that did not feed dc power thru to a certain port.

Inputs will work in any order with no problems.

you sure about that last part? I dont do SD's that often, but recall legacy
sw21, they had to be in order...

im headed back out in an hour so i guess ill find out huh!

They say to install FSS bird on port 3 because of compatibility issues with Legacy receivers when using a DP Adapter. Some receivers won't see the FSS sats, and will work better if they see the 110/119 first. Not really an issue on DP receivers.

hmmm, well that does make things easier now, thanks for the heads up.

it WAS a bad switch. <sigh>

BTW love yer mantra....calling me the cable guy is like saying the "F" word to yer momma lol
Yeah - I was called "Larry the cable guy" on a service call (NOT "my" install) for this fat-@$$ immigrant (to Colorado from one of the Carolinas). He has a lot more money than brains - he put extra high ceilings in his overpriced custom house. That's smart in the south to take heat away, but STUPID (Dee-di-dee) in a colder climate. I made sure I found an opportunity to mention that fact. :D

Anyway, regarding prot order on a switch, the book says 119/110/FSS. It rarely matters, but CAN help when adding a receiver - because a new box is expecting 119 to be available iummediately and a DP34 defaults a fresh connection to Port 1. Also, it's just good practice to be consistent - out of respect for whomever comes after you - or for that matter, you yourself in six months. :)

I agree with you Simon, I have been called the cable guy several times.
But getting to the point I agree with you on being consistent.
I installed a lot of 500's and sw21's always put 119 on "1" and 110 on "2" and now I do a lot of SD's and always do 119 then 110 and then 105, it really helps down the road when your troubleshooting. Where I live I do both SD's and 500's it depends on the state, but I'm in a tri-state area. And of course no more sw21's for 500, unless it is a service call or used equipment setup.

Also I have been to service calls that other installers have set up, and they have then who knows where, the inputs that is and fss will work on any port if it is a DP or DPP I have found out.

This may just be a good place to ask this question: If a working sw21 goes bad - what happens? Everything goes black or you just get the message that there is no signal from the sattelite?

Stacy A said:
This may just be a good place to ask this question: If a working sw21 goes bad - what happens? Everything goes black or you just get the message that there is no signal from the sattelite?

It will give an error message. If it went black just do a reset. ;)

Stacy A said:

In my experience (although I'm no cable guy - nor sat tech), the receiver would lose one of the sats. All the channels on 110 or 119 would disappear. A "check switch" would bring them back for a while, maybe an hour or so. I ended up rewiring everything before I opened up the switch. It was full of black murky water. I tried to clean it out, but ended up getting a new switch.

Of course, this was way back in the "good ol' days", but that's what I experienced.

DGStan

ITK said:
theyre hooked up the way theyre supposed to be...119=1 110= 2 121=3.

This is a dish myth, it doesnt matter wich port the signals go into on the switch, its the dpp44 that requires the fss to go to a specific port wich is port 4. But it does sound like a bad dp34, move the 110 line to a diferent port, if it follows then you either have a coax issue or an lnbf issue most likely, once in a while you will get a reciever that wont show all three sats.

Van said:
This is a dish myth, it doesnt matter wich port the signals go into on the switch, its the dpp44 that requires the fss to go to a specific port wich is port 4. But it does sound like a bad dp34, move the 110 line to a diferent port, if it follows then you either have a coax issue or an lnbf issue most likely, once in a while you will get a reciever that wont show all three sats.
Not a myth, Van. Refer to my previous post, then RTFM. :D

I dont go buy the book fully, manuals are never correct %100 and if you have ever watched the training video for superdish then you know what I mean. Generaly I always place the 119 on port 2 for easier identification when there is a trouble call and have passed this info on to all techs in my office, it has become standard proc now. I havent come across any service issues related to the fss feed inrelations to it being in ports 1 or 2 since superdish's have been out and even in the case of legacies with dp adapters and 34's.

The check switch will tell you which sat is at which port anyway...

But i agree with Simon, when i installed a superdish, I'd leave the ports at 119 110 FSS It's just logical to be consistant.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)