Simple remote for grandma

athek

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 19, 2008
Eastern Washington
Anyone recommend a simple and easy to use remote for grandma? Was thinking something almost like a Roku remote or something that only has a channel, volume and power button.

I spent the last 30 minutes trying to explain how the hoper remote works and she is having a tough time.

I thought I read on here about someone makeing a cut out and overlaying it on the remote.

AutVztgCMAAsgR3.jpg

An elderly customer that one of my buddies went to said the old ladies son had shaved of the buttons he didn't want her using with a razor blade. It worked.

I actually showed grandma the picture and she got a kick out of that. I guess that might actually be the easiest solution to this mess.

I'm not sold on the razor blade option...yet........

You would think that someone would have come up with a fix for this.

I'll check out the flipper, thanks for the link. Most comments are positive and it's cheap enough so if it doesn't work I'm not out much.

Can you please let us know how the Flipper works out for you? There are probably lots of us interested in a simpler remote control for our grandparents. Thanks

Last edited:
I bought one last year and it does not work with the Hopper.
Hoppers and Joeys come with the IR turned off. In settings, remote manager, select IR and enable and then any universal remote that has Dish codes should work.

Does that remote work with ViP receivers? If so, then it should be able to work with Hopper/Joey. H/J only accept IR remote address 1, though.

Try holding the SAT button until the remote lights, then press the number 1, then press OK.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

For the price of a replacement remote, I think the razor blade idea is actually great. Just buy a 2nd one, shave it down, and hide the first one in case you need it.

My H/J worked with my Harmonies with no adjustments. So their default in my case was ON for IR.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)