Sinclair CEO warns Dish: Agree to deal or risk becoming irrelevant

If Sinclair is truly upside down then DISH is going to let them fail before it brings the channels back. Truthfully, this model needs to be broken up. When the channels were cheap back in the day it was one thing, but now we're talking $5, $6, or more for a channel that not everyone wants or watches.

The model is truly broken, and some short term pain may result in a better model going forward. I find Sinclair to lack integrity as it is, so I hope they do go bankrupt. Their editorials masked as news is BS.

Fox knew what it was doing when it unloaded these channels.

So then, you don't like my new avatar?

I'm fine with it, although some might consider you a fair weather fan. :shh

I think Buffalo has a really good team, unlike the overrated Cowboys. The Bills' problem is there isn't much room at the top in their division. They have to go up against the best coach in NFL history every year.

Reactions: pattykay
I'm fine with it, although some might consider you a fair weather fan. :shh

I think Buffalo has a really good team, unlike the overrated Cowboys. The Bills' problem is there isn't much room at the top in their division. They have to go up against the best coach in NFL history every year.
Ohhhh no! I've been a die-hard Bills fan since the mid 70's. I had season tickets in the 90's and have streamed every game I could, that wasn't on TV here since I moved to Illinois in 2006. One thing I could never be accused of is being a fair-weather Bills fan.

As far a NE, now there are some band-wagoner's and now that it looks like Brady's age is catching up to him, I bet we'll see them hoping off the cart in droves

Reactions: pattykay and DWS44
I have called my local college sports department and told them that all their supporters who have Dish are missing their games on the RSN's. I asked them when their contract is due for renewal to switch to a company that doesn't have disputes with TV carriers. They were sympathetic but said the contract was multiyear and was at a fixed price no matter how many viewer. I then reminded them that donations to them were not fixed and depended on the good will of their donors. I hope it got their attention.
Good luck, but the machine is bigger than us. Maybe if 50 people did the same as you...

Good luck, but the machine is bigger than us. Maybe if 50 people did the same as you...
We are the machine. The fact that Dish didn't lose subscribers but instead gained them during this debacle proves that.

If we continue to lie down and accept the existing exorbitant price hikes and forced bundling, then the machine will never get fixed.

I currently enjoy the ability to get my sports and other channels on a prorated, ala carte basis (Flex Pack), and I hope Dish is able to maintain and improve on that trend.

What alternate RSN is still on DISH to even switch to? Further, the contract is a multi-year contract, so what do you think is going to happen here? Break the contract and switch to? Seems as if the alums have a better chance at switching themselves.

Give it time, this model is breaking.

I have called my local college sports department and told them that all their supporters who have Dish are missing their games on the RSN's. I asked them when their contract is due for renewal to switch to a company that doesn't have disputes with TV carriers. They were sympathetic but said the contract was multiyear and was at a fixed price no matter how many viewer. I then reminded them that donations to them were not fixed and depended on the good will of their donors. I hope it got their attention.

I wonder what our bills would be every time the programmer demanded a higher fee? so no disputes, but I'll bet AT250 would be at least $150 and the Sports channels would not affordable at all for most which would put Dish out of business

We are the machine. The fact that Dish didn't lose subscribers but instead gained them during this debacle proves that.

Dish did lose Sat. Subs during the last quarter ( -66,000 ), the gains were for Sling.

And yes DIRECTV lost a lot more but I think that is due to much higher prices ( and soon to be a lot more ) then to channel selection.

Sent from my LML713DL using the SatelliteGuys app!

Dish did lose Sat. Subs during the last quarter ( -66,000 ), the gains were for Sling.

And yes DIRECTV lost a lot more but I think that is due to much higher prices ( and soon to be a lot more ) then to channel selection.

Sent from my LML713DL using the SatelliteGuys app!

Yes, Dish did lose subs, but as you note Sling with the same missing rsn’s gained subs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Today FuboTV dropped the Sinclair owned FOX RSN's:

Standalone rates for these RSNs are not consistent with fuboTV’s mission to provide value and keep costs low to consumers. As of January 1, 2020, these networks have left fuboTV, like they have with other virtual MVPDs.

Sounds like Dish.

Today FuboTV dropped the Sinclair owned FOX RSN's:

Standalone rates for these RSNs are not consistent with fuboTV’s mission to provide value and keep costs low to consumers. As of January 1, 2020, these networks have left fuboTV, like they have with other virtual MVPDs.

Sounds like Dish.

Fubo has about 250,000 subs( unlike YouTube TV, Hulu Live which-estimated-has close to 2.5 to 3 million each), I think Sinclair can survive the loss.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Based on stories here and there it seems Sinclair is asking for big increases, bigger than most. Maybe it is time for a sports streaming offering that exposes the high cost of sports channels instead might be in order. Then we would see just how willing the sports fans are to pay high costs just for sports instead of them being hidden in a broader channel selection.

Based on stories here and there it seems Sinclair is asking for big increases, bigger than most. Maybe it is time for a sports streaming offering that exposes the high cost of sports channels instead might be in order. Then we would see just how willing the sports fans are to pay high costs just for sports instead of them being hidden in a broader channel selection.

I would welcome a sports only streaming service, if it included virtually all sports outlets. I'd be willing to pay for that over many of the other services which include some sports and so many things I never watch.

I would welcome a sports only streaming service, if it included virtually all sports outlets. I'd be willing to pay for that over many of the other services which include some sports and so many things I never watch.

While it wouldn’t interest me, I can understand the allure for sports fans. I don’t know how a company could structure one though since the sports channels are owned by companies that have other channels and want to bundle them in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)