Sinclair warns of 112 channels being dropped by DISH next Monday (8/16)

I don't think it works that way. I don't believe Sinclair has the capability of shutting off these channels just to Dish. If Sinclair informs Dish to turn off the signals, Dish has no other "legal" recourse but to comply.
Yep, it's just a matter of semantics... Sinclair would order the take down, but Dish would actually pull the plug as required by law.

Yep, it's just a matter of semantics... Sinclair would order the take down, but Dish would actually pull the plug as required by law.
Again, DISH just passes along the signal .... they don't or can't take any channel OFF the Air unless told to by the Provider (Sinclair) ... or someone higher up.

Again, DISH just passes along the signal .... they don't or can't take any channel OFF the Air unless told to by the Provider (Sinclair) ... or someone higher up.

You are wrong. Dish uses an Antenna to get most of their locals. That is why when a local station goes off the air for some problem Dish loses the station while cable which uses fiber maintains the signal. Dish takes the OTA signal, encodes it and sends it up to the satellite. Thus Dish takes down the signal due to legal requirements.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: charlesrshell
You are wrong. Dish uses an Antenna to get most of their locals. That is why when a local station goes off the air for some problem Dish loses the station while cable which uses fiber maintains the signal. Dish takes the OTA signal, encodes it and sends it up to the satellite. Thus Dish takes down the signal due to legal requirements.

ONLY if the PROVIDER says so ..... DISH is NOT the provider.

I find it hard to believe that DISH does not get the major majority of thier Locals via Fiber by now.
We were putting in the fiber for D* in the early 90's.

Reactions: dishdude
Enough. Only Sinclair can take the channels away. Only Dish can flip the switch that directs signal to the satellite. I would say this isn't rocket science, but the satellites weren't put there by unicorns. That said, this really isn't that difficult to understand.

It really depends on the market. For example in Detroit both Direct and Dish pull the locals by antenna. Comcast uses fiber. By the same token is Traverse City both Direct and Dish pull their signals by fiber

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It really depends on the market. For example in Detroit both Direct and Dish pull the locals by antenna. Comcast uses fiber. By the same token is Traverse City both Direct and Dish pull their signals by fiber

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same in the Flint / Saginaw / Bay City DMA. Our FOX station WSMH (66) has an issue that has been causing pixelation via OTA that affects the Dish provided channel as well. Funny enough it is a Sinclair channel. I just emailed them a couple of days ago about the issue. Not sure if it's worth informing Dish of the issue as well.

Correct, it is Sinclair making the call.
I think you all are splitting hairs on this. Bottom line is IF DISH has no restransmission agreement in effect, DISH has to not carry the channel or it will owe damages.

It is my understanding DISH has offered to continue at the current rates and a small inflationary increase. Sinclair wants more and wants its RSNs carried as part of a global deal. DISH said it would do that deal if the rate and channel placement was right. It is not at this point

I don't think anyone on here can say how Dish (or Direct, Comcast, Spectrum, or any other nationwide MVPD) can say how any of them get MOST of their locals. I will say it's going to vary by market and station and MVPD between OTA and fiber.

So they haven't settled the dispute between DISH and SINclair. My local ota stations on the Hopper show CBS in the guide instead of our local channel and information. Of course our Fox station just says FOX, because DISH has never bothered to transfer the guide data to the new channel designation that the channel moved it to 5 months ago. The actual guide data for this channel is on a DABLE station that shows old decorating shows. Interestingly the CW still has guide data and never lost it. But over on DISH anywhere there is no mention of the CW anymore. Just skips from 6.1 CBS to 6.3 FOX with no 6.2 CW. Making my decision look good to turn off DISH for good on 8/29 since the 3 month pause on my account is up then. Just use my Sling tv with 4 tuner ota dvr for my locals that have Correct guide data on all channels and sub channels and pay nothing extra to get it.

• Sad
I also can get the locals from Dayton and Columbus Ohio using my antenna but I also get my locals from Dish since I love that PTAT allows me to not have to create a bunch of timers and I can sample shows easily.
Where is that quad-tuner dongle when you need it?

At this rate Dish will have had a dispute and takedown of approx. all 1,800 tv stations in this country. Who said cheap Charlie can't accomplish anything. Expect more of this as he needs the cash for his train wreck of a cell phone company.

At this rate Dish will have had a dispute and takedown of approx. all 1,800 tv stations in this country. Who said cheap Charlie can't accomplish anything. Expect more of this as he needs the cash for his train wreck of a cell phone company.
You mean that "train wreck" that brings in over $100 million a year net profit if the net is just one dollar per subscriber per month?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)