Sinclair warns of 112 channels being dropped by DISH next Monday (8/16)

Where I'm at in Eugene, OR, Sinclair runs CBS, NBC and Fox so this is going to hurt Dish. Unfortunately it's also the only provider that has the Pac12 Network for rural subscribers so they're really screwed.

Honestly, Dish is going to go bankrupt over this and I'm wondering what's Sinclair's endgame here besides their motto "f**k the consumer?" Dish will lose half their subscriber base once this comes to pass and they've lost football for a huge chunk of the nation so that means that's one less provider and then Sinclair can charge the fewer providers even more money for the channels?

DirecTV and Comcast have always carried their channels and don't get into disputes but at what point will they be pushed too far once Sinclair demands that those companies pay more the next time their deal is up? Is Sinclair going to have anyone paying them money in 10 years?

Last edited:
Reactions: Howard Simmons
Well the Tennis Channel isn't that great because they don't show the Major Tournaments, they don't have the $$$ like ESPN and Fox Sports to buy the broadcast rights too. I'm with Charlie on this dispute, very bad idea to try too force him to pay and carry your sports channels, along with your affiliated network channels. Besides you can get those network channels for free with an app and streaming device.

Is " other programming " rsn's?
That is what Charlie Ergen implied in the earnings call yesterday without using the phrase RSN.

I posted this link in another thread awhile ago, but this Forbes article states that Bally Sports Detroit is estimated at $6.93 per subscriber. I can't find an updated listing of every RSN estimate, but it is clear how expensive the RSN's are.

Tennis channel, 4 years ago, was estimated at 15 cents per subscriber.

Reactions: charlesrshell
The OTA networks are severely overated IMHO. There is very little on them that I watch. Not like 2010 when I bought another Tivo to supplement the meager two channels my 722K provided. The vast majority of tv shows I now watch are on streaming services. The OTA programming has stagnated and it's pretty obvious these companies are putting their best efforts into streaming.

DirecTV and Comcast have always carried their channels and don't get into disputes but at what point will they be pushed too far once Sinclair demands that those companies pay more the next time their deal is up? Is Sinclair going to have anyone paying them money in 10 years?
Sinclair must really be desperate if they are sending employees to web forums with blatant, easily-disproven lies.

I don’t usually side with DISH on these arguments, but if Sinclair truly is trying to tie the carrying of locals with carrying of RSN’s, the FCC NEEDS to get involved. RSN’s are a premium, and locals are necessary for many people to stay informed of local news and weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok I have a correction to make:facepalm I will be losing only two stations after looking up WPMI(NBC). It is owned by Deerfield Media but operated by Sinclair. I was wondering when I was watching the local news on the ABC station and that Dish announcement to see channel 37 wasn't on WMPI. So I went to the Wiki and found this if you want to read it. Deerfield Media - Wikipedia I learned a new word today also duopolies .
Deerfield Media is just one of a number of almost incestuous relationships Sinclair has with various station owners. Sinclair has used LMA's (Local Management Agreements) to maintain control of multiple stations that would otherwise fall under the FCC's doupoly rules that limit multiple station ownership in a given market. Using tactics like "selling" a station to a station's general manager while retaining management control is one of their methods, with partnerships with "media" companies that are basically investment groups another. 20 stations managed by Sinclair are owned by Cunningham Broadcasting, a company started by Sinclair Chairman David Smith's mother, now owned by a Sinclair family trust.

You may find this 2018 Forbes article enlightening relative to Sinclair's operations and goals. It does run a bit to the political though:

I don’t usually side with DISH on these arguments, but if Sinclair truly is trying to tie the carrying of locals with carrying of RSN’s, the FCC NEEDS to get involved. RSN’s are a premium, and locals are necessary for many people to stay informed of local news and weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sinclair's behavior is unethical, but FCC pretty much opened the door for this, the toothpaste is out on the counter now. Pondering what in the world "good faith" would be at this point.

In my area of Beaumont/ Port Arthur , Tx Sinclair owns CBS ,CW, and FOX stations. Tenga owns the ABC/Nbc stations. This kind of ownership of multiple stations in one dma used to not be allowed, but obviously it has been changed. Thanks goodness for antennas and internet.

How so? Sink-Clair (again, my spelling) doesn't own PAC12 Networks.

And dish won't be going bankrupt over losing the Sink-Clair channels. It'll take far more than that to send dish into liquidation.

What the OP is saying is that if the Rural subscriber wants the Pac 12 then they cannot get the locals. If they want the locals then they do not have an option to get the Pack 12 No where did it imply that the Pac12 network was owned by Sinclar

Reactions: MrDRC
During the Dish dispute with WRAZ & WRAL, Dish gave me an antenna that's mounted on our roof. We can get all of the stations clearly. After the dispute ended, I had no reason to add locals for whatever that costs. I wonder if I have to give the antenna back should I decided to end my Dish service. If so, I'm not getting up on the roof to get it!

Reactions: charlesrshell
During the Dish dispute with WRAZ & WRAL, Dish gave me an antenna that's mounted on our roof. We can get all of the stations clearly. After the dispute ended, I had no reason to add locals for whatever that costs. I wonder if I have to give the antenna back should I decided to end my Dish service. If so, I'm not getting up on the roof to get it!
That antenna is yours, you would not need to return it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)