Sinclair warns of 112 channels being dropped by DISH next Monday (8/16)

Well I notice the guide data for the Sinclair stations have dropped off on my satellite receiver. Now only ABC/NBC has guide data. I guess they are getting an early start on the August 16 deadline to drop locals. Glad I have other means to see guide data and record for my locals.

I am on Western arc and I still have the Guide data for my 2 Sinclair stations WSYX (ABC 6) and WTTE (Fox 28).
I just hope that the Guide data for the OTA channels stay if Dish has to pull the Sinclair channels. Dish should be able to keep the Guide data for the OTA channels. Recently they have kept the Guide data. In the past they would remove the Guide data for the OTA channels that they pulled. If they keep the Guide data I will set up timers using the OTA tuner.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: charlesrshell
Aereo was a for profit enterprise. Big difference...
I was about to post the same. The owner of Locast is a former FCC Legal advisor and he said he would not have started the process if he thought it would be legally shut down.
We don't know how a Court would rule that is true, but the current move by the Big Four is not the first, they got stopped in the last try and are using a different approach now.

And lots of people thought I was nuts saying Aereo was in potential trouble too.

The law be what the people who wrote or guard it say it is. And that might mean Locast works out. Or it might not. Locast exists in a loophole of sorts. I think it should be legal. But it more matters what the courts think.
I wish I had the time and money to take my arguments to court. Copyrights should be curtailed for two reasons. First, using government power to protect the sanctity of something that has only a notional existence is an unconstitutional establishment of religion. Second, paying someone for what is tantamount to perpetuity for a finite amount of work violates at least the spirit of fair labor standards.

Reactions: MrDRC and mwdxer1
I was about to post the same. The owner of Locast is a former FCC Legal advisor and he said he would not have started the process if he thought it would be legally shut down.
We don't know how a Court would rule that is true, but the current move by the Big Four is not the first, they got stopped in the last try and are using a different approach now.
Yes, I think it's quite telling that the court refused to grant the Big Four request for an injunction preventing Locast from expanding coverage until the suit is resolved. That's often a pretty good indicator of which way the judge is leaning.

While I’m not affected by this situation, I can say that the ‘channels’ are giving more reasons to abandon them. The lack of new, original and interesting things on most channels these days just makes paying for them more unacceptable.

With that in mind I quit all of them and only use on demand services these days, some with ads, some without ads.

With this occurring now, at a time of fewer good shows on live TV is a good thing for Dish and not so good for Sinclair. Add in Sinclair’s financial condition and while Charlie might not be in the catbird’s seat, but he is very close to it IMO.
This is a bunch of garbage from Sinclair. If they really cared about the viewer, they would extend the contract and continue to come to a compromise. They are just greedy and could care less. I do feel sorry for the individual stations though as they are in the middle and have nothing to say about it. They are going to be getting the flack unfortunately.

On Comcast when they settled rates increased by 13 dollars to keep the local channel and sport package Comcast requires you to pay for both in their basic package

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Howard Simmons
This is a bunch of garbage from Sinclair. If they really cared about the viewer, they would extend the contract and continue to come to a compromise. They are just greedy and could care less. I do feel sorry for the individual stations though as they are in the middle and have nothing to say about it. They are going to be getting the flack unfortunately.
When I first started with Dish some 8 years ago this will be my 4th carriage dispute with all 4 networks . I heard the same thing said when I started.:mad:

Reactions: charlesrshell
Stil a couple of days left, but if “no news is good news,” the fact that the websites TV Newscheck and nexttv have absolutely nothing on their front pages regarding the Sinclair/dish impasse leads me to believe there are cooler heads prevailing. That said, I’ll believe it when those websites post a “Sinclair/dish Impasse Settled” story. And, when Sinclair removes its whiny release from station websites. Until then, take appropriate action and prepare for the worst, people.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)