Sinclair warns of 112 channels being dropped by DISH next Monday (8/16)

Where I live, Sinclair only owns ABC and CW. How many of the stations are even Fox and CBS which has most of the NFL games, except NBC has a Sunday nite game.

Where I live, Sinclair only owns ABC and CW. How many of the stations are even Fox and CBS which has most of the NFL games, except NBC has a Sunday nite game.
In the Omaha market, the one they own is the FOX affiliate

One of the articles that listed all the Sinclair stations and their affiliations that would be taken down.

Seth Meyers Reaction GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

And now it looks like Locast may no longer be an option.

Sounds more serious than it is. The ruling wasn't based on the business itself but rather on whether a percentage of the money raised could be applied towards expansion of the service. Seems if they tweak that just a bit it'll meet the criteria for exemption.

And now it looks like Locast may no longer be an option.

A partial summary judgement just means the case will proceed to trial with certain limits. Then there will be appeals by either party as needed. Don't count Locast out yet...

Sounds more serious than it is. The ruling wasn't based on the business itself but rather on whether a percentage of the money raised could be applied towards expansion of the service. Seems if they tweak that just a bit it'll meet the criteria for exemption.

A partial summary judgement just means the case will proceed to trial with certain limits. Then there will be appeals by either party as needed. Don't count Locast out yet...

100% agree. I originally thought Locast could not win against the Networks. But since they have done ok in Court, this isn't a death ruling. They may have to pay a fine but if they can adjust their business model I see a chance of continuing.

100% agree. I originally thought Locast could not win against the Networks. But since they have done ok in Court, this isn't a death ruling. They may have to pay a fine but if they can adjust their business model I see a chance of continuing.
Business model? They ain't suppose to be a business. I know that is cutting hairs, but the model is supposed to be about break even.

The biggest reason I think that the Networks are against Locast isn't what it would have been at one time and you can blame their demands that DISH and others pay high prices to carry their "free" programming.

The Affiliates should be concerned commercials are shown, and the Networks that the programming is not altered, and that commercials are shown. But Locast does that, unless you don't pay.
But that isn't the biggest issue. The Networks look at locast and see people who would otherwise pay for it with the Networks getting a good chunk of money to people paying and Networks getting Bupkis.

Bottom line right or wrong, they want full control of how their material is distributed. I can understand that actually but it is more complicated. They are required to deliver it for free, many do not cover their whole DMA with a reasonable OTA signal. Further there is a law Locast is citing that does allow what they are doing - if they follow the rules.

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)