Siriusxm free listen thing, whats the point of it?

pickone4me

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 22, 2012
wisconsin
I know I just recently got something in the mail about free listen. Of course when I looked the channels over, seems like its family friendly stuff, which is not winning me over. When I use to sub, it was all about what couldn't be said, or played on FM radio! I can't possibly be the only one that looks at it this way.

Most of the music channels are now censored unfortunately. :( There are now a few select stations which are uncensored but not many.

They are so bad with their censoring, I heard the Devil Went Down to Georgia on the 70's station the other day and they played the edited version, so instead of saying "I told you once you son of a bitch, I am the best there has ever been!" it says "I told you one you son of a gun, I am the best there has ever been!"

Kid of sad for subscription radio.

I don't know that the point ever was to provide uncensored material. To me it was to give a home to commercial free entertainment that was not being offered on terrestrial radio. Now uncensored heavy mratal or whatever might fall into that category but so would lots of other things.

As for why none of the uncensored stuff is free well I suspect hat they are afraid od complaints by the few who don't like that and certainly never signed up to receive it.

We pay for SiriusXM due to the fact that where we live we are between two markets for radio. It's either SiriusXM or stream music from our phones and pay for the data overages. Plus I do like the talk stations.

I still remember the first Sirius radio we had (the big walkie-talkie like JVC) that I got from a good deal on this very site. :)

I noticed that my vehicle trial was supposed to end on the 7th of this month but the free listening must have halted the deactivation until the free listen is over. No channels were removed but I expect the radio to be deactive by tomorrow.

I just noticed this otherwise I'd have posted sooner.. The actual main point of these "free listen" campaigns isnt to win back customers (because customers who have had the service and canceled know what they had), its to give Sirius opportunities to kill unsubscribed radios that may still be receiving free programming because they missed their original deactivation signal for whatever reason. Sirius was publicly embarrassed a couple years ago because an article pointed out that due to the flaws in their Conditional Access system, something like 30% of radios that had been deactivated were still receiving programming for free.

So basically they use the "previews" every couple months as a two pronged attack.. On the front end, it knocks basically all the good/valuable content (sports, talk, and uncensored channels) off an otherwise still-working unsubscribed radio and leaves you with just the worthless crap. Then once the "preview" is over, they dump kill signals into the stream to turn them off.

There isn't enough bandwidth in the system to keep the kill signals in permanent rotation so they had to go this route.

Sent from my Galaxy SII using some Tappity Talkity thing.

Last edited:
Once again, guess it started on the 14th..Can't we get Sirius xm to split back up? I more then likely sub again if xm was like it was before the merger. Or someone else with deep pockets to get a new one started.

Unfortunately the combined company now holds the entire frequency/bandwidth block that was allocated to SDARS. There is no way for a competing company to get started without petitioning the FCC for another block or suing SXM for part of theirs.

Its total bulls#it, and just further shows how Mel lied about how the merger won't create a monopoly. I still think the SEC/DoJ should haul his ass in front of a committee to answer some tough questions and break them back up.

my wife's sirius/xm radio in her car and my portable XM radio i used years ago --- neither one of them is working on this "free preview".

In my mind - i already have Sirius on my dish sub, i should be able to "add" my sirius radios to my dish account for $5/month or something. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)