Site Survey & Electric Lines

Captain Midnight

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 16, 2019
Greers Ferry, Arkansas
Planning to buy a house, and I don't have the option to really make the BUD a priority, but my wife will allow it in our side yard. The only issue is that there are high voltage lines running N to S in the side yard. Anyone else had issues with lines like these? I am curious on how it would affect my C band...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211014-171347_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20211014-171347_Samsung Internet.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 31
  • Screenshot_20211014-171420_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20211014-171420_Samsung Internet.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 31

Comptech

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 26, 2006
Travelers Rest SC
You should not have any problems unless they Are High tension lines. even then anything they radiate will be at a much lower frequency. Might cause a slight signal loss but not much if they are hundreds of feet away. My dish is directly below a LED street light and LED's give of tons of RF and I have no problem.

Reactions: Captain Midnight

Captain Midnight

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 16, 2019
Greers Ferry, Arkansas
You should not have any problems unless they Are High tension lines. even then anything they radiate will be at a much lower frequency. Might cause a slight signal loss but not much if they are hundreds of feet away. My dish is directly below a LED street light and LED's give of tons of RF and I have no problem.
Here is a good look at the lines. These are much closer than 100ft. Wish they were buried.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211015-010322_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20211015-010322_Maps.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 21

ancient

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 12, 2014
USA
I have no actual experience with these but from what I know of electronics it would take a lot more than those wire to cause any significant signal loss. Since the wires are relatively thin, the only loss you would have is from where the wires shadow the dish in relation to the satellite, and that would be negligible. The pole would actually cause more loss, so you should try to not have that between you and the satellites if possible, but if your dish is large enough even that shouldn't be an issue. Electrical lines should not be radiating in C-band or Ku-band frequencies (it would likely be an FCC violation if they did) so really just the shadowing of the dish by the wires and/or the pole would probably be your only concern, and unless you have a very undersized dish I would not think they'd be a real problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)