Skipping Commerials - a viewpoint

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Don't forget that Dtv owns the intellectual property of replay tv. They had it working great until they basicly got sued out of bussiness for it. I still miss the automatic skip to this day it was so nice to hit play sit the remote down for the entire show.

Me again...
I was expressing two different viewpoints - 1) my doubts on the legality of third party automated removal of a portion of a retransmitted signal, and, 2) my fear if determined legal, hat the loss of revenue to the networks would probably impact production.

And yes I use my DVR to skip commercials :)

Last edited:
I find it a sad statement on our society that the first impulse is to go to the courts to resolve issues! This could be solved by the networks by simply encrypting their codes that signal the local stations for beginning and end of commercial times. If you notice this is only being done on the network channels not the national cable channels, they don't have locals inserting commercials! Or just tell dish we won't sell you access any longer, if you continue to autohop!

Just one mans simple opinion!

Me again...
I was expressing two different viewpoints - 1) my doubts on the legality of third party automated removal of a portion of a retransmitted signal,
No part of the programming is removed. It is still there, just part of it is skipped automatically when the viewer chooses that option.

It has always been about the money,

As I understand the situation the OTA stations initially worried about the little dishes taking away their client base as far as ad penetration.SO they engaged the FCC to slow any sale of OTA signal to little dish customers. THEN they discovered they could count the sat customers who had their feed for ad client purposes. The money flowed back and all was nice again. AND they were paid for customers way outside their normal broadcast cone.

Now they fear TV users have alternative sources for tube entertainment and something approaching alla carte subscriptions is on the horizon. Also users have the capability to blank or jump their loud & irrelevant commercial messages.

EVERYONE SHOULD HAVE THIS BUMPER STICKER:

The industry needs a new model and it isn't our responsibility to figure out to keep the old model going until they arrive at a solution.

Good shot, Harshness!

Joe
Yep...The current television business model is antiquated. Well almost. The only aspect of tv keeping up is the money charged by program producers which is passed along to pay tv subs.

I'm all for skipping commercials. Sometimes you have to sit through ten or more commercials in a row. And that's after I have already paid D* over $100 a month just to watch those commercials. Somebody is greedy and is making a killing off from selling all of those commercials. Cut the commercials back to a more reasonable number and then I won't skip them.
I believe the rule is an 8 minute limit for commercial time for every 30 mins of program time. That is for regularly scheduled programming. Sporting events do not apply.. I think.
However, I am not familiar with the rules regarding cable programming.
A&E for example seems to have an endless barrage of commercials at certain times.
Gonna have to buy a stopwatch.

There are nine minutes of commercials in the Chelsea Lately show.

Don't forget that Dtv owns the intellectual property of replay tv. They had it working great until they basicly got sued out of bussiness for it. I still miss the automatic skip to this day it was so nice to hit play sit the remote down for the entire show.

Man I loved my replaytv with the auto skip. Brings back memories. Wish I wouldn't have sold it. Had the lifetime sub too

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

I believe the rule is an 8 minute limit for commercial time for every 30 mins of program time. That is for regularly scheduled programming. Sporting events do not apply.. I think.
However, I am not familiar with the rules regarding cable programming.
A&E for example seems to have an endless barrage of commercials at certain times.
Gonna have to buy a stopwatch.

I believe such limits were overturned or removed.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)