Sky Angel IPTV lineup

FamilyNet was recently purchased by In Touch Ministries (Charles Stanley's ministry). They revamped their programming and have a wonderful lineup! It includes a daily interview format show hosted by Marcus and Lisa Ryan, as well as a 2-hour morning show that is also broadcast on Sirius radio. Some really first-rate Christian television programming!

Now if somebody would just design some kind of an internet appliance that could bring this good programming to my TV via broadband. :p

But seriously, here is where Dominion IPTV's days may be numbered before they even begin. At some point somebody will have a box on the cheap that CAN deliver both free and paid content, and generally unrestricted at that. And at some point some ministries will opt to go that route rather than continue a limited exclusive IPTV contract, such as the one that started all the flap with Daystar switching over to commercial DBS.

And that's not even scratching the surface of reasons why ministries may choose a different distribution medium or provider. We saw the disagreement between Hal Lindsey & TBN, which essentially took him off the air for a while because he had strong feelings that he had issues that needed to be addressed by the Christian community about End Times and TBN didn't want it on their network for fear of offending Muslims. So while broadcast and DBS have creative limitations, and from what we've heard so far it seems Dominion IPTV also will to an extent attempt to be a gatekeeper as to who gets on and stays on, the internet itself OTOH provides an outlet for those who, for whatever reason, cannot get access to more conventional providers directly. And I feel any true outreach ministry WILL opt for a free and widely available distribution, as available and feasible.

See there's that whole paying for the Gospel thing that still speaks to my inner voice that this is not a wise course. I can't wait to get my GloryStar up & running. I can't help feeling that's what Dominion should have been doing, and then provide some secular family friendly content for income. Perhaps they would have, and were only praying for a miracle to get their own satellite so they could compete with the Family Paks? Then it all really comes down to just how likely that (getting their own satellite) truly ever was to happen.

the sooner the thiefs of sky angel or whatever they call themselves go belly up the better.

ripping off lifers isnt christianlike at all

the sooner the thiefs of sky angel or whatever they call themselves go belly up the better.

ripping off lifers isnt christianlike at all

If dominion / sky angel as a DBS service is going out of business..... what can you really say?

I think a lot of this criticism on here has been very unfair of them. I'm not a customer.....no vested interest...

Why don't you ask SA to pay for all lifers to have 3.0 mbps DSL access (because truly that's what you need not 1.5 mpbs) and pay for their DSL service too.

Is satellite #3 at 61.5 deg. or whatever, truly old and going out of service..... or is this whole thing a big ploy for money? Personally i don't think they're going to make a ton of $$ on this IPTV deal.

This is all hypothetical anyway. Have they even ended beta testing? I have not heard from one person on here that has received a box yet.

What if SA announces before 3/31 that we've determined that we cannot make a viable business out of IPTV and we are completely going out of business?

It's possible.

Kevin

Well good news, bad news for me. I have the 2 position Dish 500 antenna and connect to 61.5 via a SW-21 switch. Without going into great detail I suspect the SW-21 is showing signs of soon failure. So just now I used a lead to the Dish 500 only and soon will reposition the 61.5 to Direct TV.

I have frequently had issues with the 3 sat positions for Dish and have finally decided in everybody's better interest not to pursue Dish HD if it involves the (failing anyway) 61.5 standalone antenna. Well with one notable exception (the Info Pak) and the fee free 508 DVR I don't have too much good to say about Dish period anyway.

But in doing this update to my channel guide to eliminate 61.5 programming I was happy to discover that I had now Hallmark outside of 61.5, plus AMC and a few other nice channels I didn't know I had! Odds are good I'll lose them along with my free Info Pak channels on 3/31 based on a previously subbed receiver I hooked up for a few minuites not long ago. And even if I don't if the old 508 receiver dies it will all be gone for good all the same.

So I'm working on the FTA solution for my Faith channels and I'll see what I can get that way and with greater variety. With the savings I can just contribute more to the ministries that minister to me personally and advance Christian television that way.

will the 508 dvr still work (considering lost lawsuit) if dish has to stop using dvrs?

I'm thinking probably it is exempt since it is the old technology. But since I won't be subscribed to any programming after 3/31 the point becomes sorta moot for me, I think.

Well, actually I could continue to use it to power a clip on antenna which I use for my HDTV. :D

I think a lot of this criticism on here has been very unfair of them. I'm not a customer.....no vested interest...

Kevin

Kevin,

Maybe that is the problem. You aren't a customer nor did you pay for a lifetime subscription that kept their service alive all these years like many of us did. You just can't see things from our side.

What is unfair is the way that Sky Angel is treating lifetime customers. It is not what those CUSTOMERS are saying about Sky Angel. They are angry and have the right to be. People like you have a right to your opinion but not being part of the "family" makes what you say really irrelevant from my point of view.

your opinion

Its difficult for you to understand not being a customer of sky angel. Not quite sure why you posted an opinion.

Try this, you purchased a cell phone for say $300, prepaid for a year of cell phone service, after a month the company now sends you a bill saying they changed equipment so you now have to pay them $25 a month to continue using their service. Plus is you don't sign a new committment for 1 1/2 YEARS you will also need to pay $150 for a new phone!

Sky angel lifetimers bought equipment, prepaid for our service. Now they switched to new technology, IPTV. they now want us to buy new equipment and pay a monthly fee besides! in addition due to lack of high speed internet some of those subscribers can't get IPTV even if they want to pay for it!

That kinda happen to me. I had a pre-pay plan and they were switching phone technologies.

They are a small company and didn't make my replacement phone options very clear (not many "authorized" phone stores) and I lost all my pre-paid minutes when they ceased service on my type of phone.

From what I could discern I'd have had to spend $200 on a new phone to save $100 in accumulated air time. I went to trackfone instead.

Hey Guys
I'm coming at this from a different perspective. I'm a lifetimer that paid $199 for SA and the contract says my lifetime, my wife's lifetime, or my family's lifetime.....BUT.......I'm not so naive to think that the company can keep on staying in business without finances to keep it afloat. Sure, my way of looking at it was that I've got a lifetime contract and SA has to supply me SA for my lifetime. Technology requires that electronics are going to last only a limited amount of time. We all knew that the satellite was to be replaced in 2002, looks like they didn't have the funds to do that 5 years ago and either through bad business or negligence that wasn't going to happen, hence look in another direction. OK.....here's the rub for me.......secrecy! I feel that a lifetimer is different than a MTM subscription. We joined for the long haul based on a vision, and then when the person that started SA died, the vision died along with it, and the powers that be, couldn't/wouldn't/didn't be upfront with their subscribers. It was business as usual. I think that if.....waaaayyyy back when it was realized that SA was in trouble, if they had been upfront with their subscribers and said, we aren't going to be able to continue, all or most all of this could have been prevented. Right now, the bad taste in my mouth is there because of the lack of comunication by SA to their subscribers. Things could have been worked a little differently and attitudes might not have been what they are if SA had used some brain matter in the PR department. Hiding what they were going to do to me is 75% of the problem, the other 25% could have been worked out somehow. Americans are much more willing to forgive and step up to the plate if they know what is happening and aren't lied to so to speak......my two cents.....op now stepping down from soapbox, ouch, splinters!!!!!!!!!!

I paid $500 for my lifetime subscription in December of 2003. They never sent me a copy of my contract. My understanding was that the money from lifetime subscribers was to be invested and the dividends were to be used for Sky Angel. If that was done (which I doubt) they will still be receiving the dividends even after they dump their lifetime subscribers.

ITA - 75% of the problem here is lack of communication. Only very recently has SA* finally been up front (although still somewhat misleading) by sending the "Dominion" letter out regarding termination of lifetime / DBS service.

Had SA* sent that same exact letter at least 1 year earlier, then I think customers might have been more willing to either start making contributions to keep DBS on the air, or perhaps even be willing to commit to buying IPTV when it came along.

As someone else pointed out I think this last letter was pretty much required by law and the wording was very careful. So I don't see it as some new era of openness at all.

Hey Guys
I'm coming at this from a different perspective. I'm a lifetimer that paid $199 for SA and the contract says my lifetime, my wife's lifetime, or my family's lifetime.....BUT.......I'm not so naive to think that the company can keep on staying in business without finances to keep it afloat. Sure, my way of looking at it was that I've got a lifetime contract and SA has to supply me SA for my lifetime. Technology requires that electronics are going to last only a limited amount of time. We all knew that the satellite was to be replaced in 2002, looks like they didn't have the funds to do that 5 years ago and either through bad business or negligence that wasn't going to happen, hence look in another direction. OK.....here's the rub for me.......secrecy! I feel that a lifetimer is different than a MTM subscription. We joined for the long haul based on a vision, and then when the person that started SA died, the vision died along with it, and the powers that be, couldn't/wouldn't/didn't be upfront with their subscribers. It was business as usual. I think that if.....waaaayyyy back when it was realized that SA was in trouble, if they had been upfront with their subscribers and said, we aren't going to be able to continue, all or most all of this could have been prevented. Right now, the bad taste in my mouth is there because of the lack of comunication by SA to their subscribers. Things could have been worked a little differently and attitudes might not have been what they are if SA had used some brain matter in the PR department. Hiding what they were going to do to me is 75% of the problem, the other 25% could have been worked out somehow. Americans are much more willing to forgive and step up to the plate if they know what is happening and aren't lied to so to speak......my two cents.....op now stepping down from soapbox, ouch, splinters!!!!!!!!!!

Very well written. Echoes my sentiments, too.

DHL Shipment Notification

I received the following shipment notification on 2/8/2008:

DHL Shipment Notification

Greetings from DHL!

On February 8, 2008 a shipment label was printed by Sky Angel (800
7592643) of SKY ANGEL for delivery to ****** ****** of ****** ******. The
shipment number of this package is **********.

Sender's message:
'Your package has been shipped!'

To track this shipment use any of these options:

1) Click or enter the following URL in your browser:
DHL - Track
2) Enter the shipment number(s) on the DHL tracking page:
http://track.dhl-usa.com/
3) Send an email to Track_It@dhl.com. You may list up to 25 shipment
numbers separated by commas in the message area of the email. You'll
receive a return email with detailed information about the status of your
shipment(s).

For further assistance,
please call DHL Customer Service at 1-800-225-5345. For International
Customer Service, please use the following link to obtain the appropriate
Customer Service contact information:
DHL: Contact DHL.

Disclaimer:
This message was created by DHL Webship/Corporateship, a product of DHL,
at the request of the sender. No authentication of email addresses has
been performed.

Thank you for shipping with DHL.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)