Sky Angel IPTV on an HDTV

thanej

Original poster
Mar 11, 2008
I am trying to make the decision between the new Sky Angel iptv and Dish Network's family package. I recently bought a new hdtv. While watching Sky Angel satellite the mpeg compression artifacts are very noticeble as they are magnified on the hdtv compared to a crt tv. I am able to reduce the artifacts a bit with settings on the tv but it still doesn't look that great. Also, it doesn't seem like Sky Angel iptv will have HD programming anytime soon. I am wondering if the Sky Angel iptv is not as compressed as the satellite signal? Is there anyone out there with Sky Angel iptv on an hdtv that could comment on the visual quality compared to standard def satellite on the same tv? Thanks. :)

I would say go with dish family for now. Make the 18 month -2 yr committment. At the end of that time IPTV is either going to be improved with any bugs worked out or old news. Of course the family pkg isn't HDTV either

I had to make the same choice not with the HD trouble but I went with Dish Family plan, I will get a FTA setup to get more Christian channels, going with the family plan i was able to get the 625 DVR reciever and now both my TVs can pause and record something that I cant do with the Skyangel IPTV.

I am wondering if the Sky Angel iptv is not as compressed as the satellite signal? Is there anyone out there with Sky Angel iptv on an hdtv that could comment on the visual quality compared to standard def satellite on the same tv?
Excellent questions. Actually the IPTV stream is more compressed, being H.264 MPEG-4, rather than the Dish standard def mpeg-2 stream.

I don't suppose we care about the bandwidth or compression scheme used, as long as bandwidth is adequate and the decompressed picture contains adequate resolution. I happen to know that Dish SD signals are 544X480. Does anybody know what SA IPTV resolution is?

Btw if I'm not mistaken you can't get Dish Family and most, if not any, HD pak. Maybe the HD only pak, but then the Family pak would be in addition.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)