Sky Angel New Receiver

dcbag

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 17, 2003
Tennessee
Anyone have 1 or the new receivers? Any information would be helpful, such as improvements in picture quality or anything else?

Here is the Neulion page that gives the specs. for the new receiver: NeuLion - Internet Television Technology Innovators (IPTV) - What We Do

HOWEVER......... Here is the Sky Angel Tech site: SkyAngelTech.com .What you'll notice when you go to the SkyAngelTech.com Series II Receiver Installation Equipment Overview STB page,you'll notice the receiver has no HDMI output(but it does have component video inputs,just like their previous Series I Receiver). It doesn't matter as Sky Angel presently has no HD programing,however,it does have wireless-n. I'm still considering getting this box for the wireless-n alone.

DVR Function?

The Neulion website states that this box is capable of network DVR. Does that mean the new SkyAngel box is capable of recording television programs?

The Neulion website states that this box is capable of network DVR. Does that mean the new SkyAngel box is capable of recording television programs?

The Sky Angel Tech site makes no claims to network DVR function. I'm going to bite the bullet & order one & let you know about HD & DVR abilities.

The Neulion site also said that the original boxes were network DVR capable. This is kind of how all the religious programming works with the 48 hour replay. All the channels get recorded instead of the ones you select.

Network DVR for the familiy channels may have been partially held up because CableVision got sued for giving their users network DVR functionality. Court rules in favor of Cablevision network DVR | Reuters
Over the summer the supreme court ruled in CableVisions favor so maybe network DVR will come to the family channels on SA some day.

Hope you have better luck than I did. Received my new unit last Wednesday, yesterday no picture, nothing at all, only lights on unit, remote would not turn off, had to unplug. Checked every possible thing, still nothing. After long wait, and answering all questions, they tell me since the unit is brand new the mfg will have to replace. 5 - 10 day delivery out of New York via UPS ground. If this had been Directv or Dish they would have replaced with 2 day delivery. Not very happy with Sky Angel at all. Also the new Receiver IR code is not in Tivo data base at this time.

How long has anyone had Sky Angel via IPTV. I use to have it off the 61.5 satellite until dish killed that lease. They have added a few mainstream christian channels but it is in no way the same. I also see they have increased the sspeed requirement from 900mbps to 1.5. Any Help and information would be great.

How long has anyone had Sky Angel via IPTV. I use to have it off the 61.5 satellite until dish killed that lease. They have added a few mainstream christian channels but it is in no way the same. I also see they have increased the sspeed requirement from 900mbps to 1.5. Any Help and information would be great.

I've had since July. I also had way back when on 61.5, Picture quality is far better than when on Dish. The picture quality is very good on channels like Fox News, much better than any other SD source. The Religious channels picture quality is somewhat less depending on which channel.

The main issues seems to be to make sure your Router is listed to work with Sky Angel, which also means you should not be having any issues with your DSL or Cable connections. Then if you have any buffering issues, keep having them change to another Server until you find the one that works the best. My DSL is 3.0, the highest available to me.

I don't believe I would even try with only a 1.5 connection.

I had Sky Angel when they were on satellite and continued with their IPTV service nearly 2 years ago. As far as speed, they have always recommended a minimum of 1.5mbps. I'm happy with the service as they provide access to programs such as Wretched, Word Pictures and Grace to You on networks such as NRB, Liberty and FamilyNet, I hope and pray that Sky Angel is around for years to come.

JeffH

How long has anyone had Sky Angel via IPTV. I use to have it off the 61.5 satellite until dish killed that lease. They have added a few mainstream christian channels but it is in no way the same. I also see they have increased the speed requirement from 900mbps to 1.5. Any Help and information would be great.
We have had it since it started with IPTV. As JeffH said they have always recommended 1.5 mbps speed. The picture quality is good and the 48 hour recall on the Faith package channels - which have quite a bit of secular programming on them as well - is a great feature.

As a side note, I found SatelliteGuys while researching SkyAngel before we got it. Ended up getting SA for the wife, and the more I learned about this thing called FTA, the more I wanted that. As my signature says...............

Hope you have better luck than I did. Received my new unit last Wednesday, yesterday no picture, nothing at all, only lights on unit, remote would not turn off, had to unplug. Checked every possible thing, still nothing. After long wait, and answering all questions, they tell me since the unit is brand new the mfg will have to replace. 5 - 10 day delivery out of New York via UPS ground. If this had been Directv or Dish they would have replaced with 2 day delivery. Not very happy with Sky Angel at all. Also the new Receiver IR code is not in Tivo data base at this time.

Replacement unit received 18 days later. Works very well so far, but then so did the first one for about 4 days. I believe this one will be okay, I sure hope so.

Picture quality is somewhat better than old style unit, remote is better. size is smaller, color is white. Also this unit has a HDMI output which the defective new unit did not. Manual says to select ONE output, which is a very big negative. Now if TiVo will just get the IR code in their system.

Below is a few of the comments made tonight in another lost effort in trying to get info on the IR code for the newest TransVideo SA receiver.

Me: Tivo can't change the channels on SA because the IR code for the new receiver is not in Tivo.

Agent: Then we need you to retrieve the code from your provider so we can manually input it into the TiVo box.

Me: Ok, but SA states they have submitted the IR info to Tivo & Tivo must put that info into their data base.

Agent: I do not see it in our IR code matrix. So you will need to get the code so we can manually put it into the TiVo box

Me: This is going round & round, it seems it must be a new code. Who else can I contact in Tivo about this.

Agent: Our "system" with the IR codes is so the TiVo box can automatically select the IR code if the code is not in the system you can manually input it and have it work. In order to manually input it you will need to contact Skyangel and get the code as we have not received it yet.

HOWEVER......... Here is the Sky Angel Tech site: SkyAngelTech.com .What you'll notice when you go to the SkyAngelTech.com Series II Receiver Installation Equipment Overview STB page,you'll notice the receiver has no HDMI output(but it does have component video inputs,just like their previous Series I Receiver). It doesn't matter as Sky Angel presently has no HD programing,however,it does have wireless-n. I'm still considering getting this box for the wireless-n alone.

The replacement receiver I rec'd to replace my defective new receiver does indeed have a HDMI output, which is very good the next best thing to HD and a lot better than a lot of scaled down HD. The issue now is you are not suposed to use but ONE output at a time.

I have not seen anything stating HD reciever on the SA tech site, please provide the link to the page you're talking about.

There is no special offer to upgrade to the new receiver. they will treat you like a new customer. I would wait a little longer to purchase one of the new receivers. Cost if $125

IR code is still not available to use with TiVo. It should also be known with the new receiver you are not able to use a VCR or DVD recorder to copy content.

I have not seen anything stating HD reciever on the SA tech site, please provide the link to the page you're talking about.

There is no special offer to upgrade to the new receiver. they will treat you like a new customer. I would wait a little longer to purchase one of the new receivers. Cost if $125

IR code is still not available to use with TiVo. It should also be known with the new receiver you are not able to use a VCR or DVD recorder to copy content.

Right on the new receiver support page, look at attachment. skyangelrec.jpg
pencil.png

Just got the new receiver this past week. Any ideas on what if anything can be done with the old one? Could it be used for another IPTV service or is it just a paperweight?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts