Sky Angel Plans to Charge Lifelong Subscribers for "Special Secular" Channels

OK, I got the letter in the mail today and read it. As I have expressed here before, I would like to see them dump the Hallmark channels and try to make a deal with the Dove Movie Channel which is available in children's hospitals.

Well, I am going to pay the extra money and wish them all the good will I can. I support them and understand the business behind it all.

there must be more to all this.....

will they be adding other channels?
perhaps dish is going to give them use of a couple transponders
because sky angel let them put daystar on??

what are sky angels options?

At least what are the options that would satisfy most of us? I know some never wanted these channels anyway. 1)SA need to honor prior agreements as they are a Christian company 2)they could make any new contracts have to pay extra for "special channels" 3)if they persist in charging the life time members then those channels must be made special channels for monthly subscribers too. 4) raise the price of their monthly customers INSTEAD of refusing to hnor the fixed price on lifetime

I used to have 2 subscriptions one lifetime and one monthly. they added the new channels and the SURPRISE they raised the price! that would have been the time to do some price adjusting. I cancelled the monthly at that point.

One of the reasons I left DISH was every time they improved the package, the price went up Being on a fixed income, that was no longer an option for us. I liked knowing that at least my TV was paid for. We do rely on this as our only TV.

I have the lifetime pkg and AT200. I find myself paying for the AT200 only for a few channels (Noggin, Voom, Weather Channel, Food Network, and a few others). If I could get these channels (except the HD ones) through Sky Angel, I would drop E* down to locals only.

Well, considering how some Sky Angel subscribers feel about Hallmark, a few folks would have coronaries if Noggin was added. (I couldn't even begin to contemplate how many things certain people would object to in a typical episode of Degrassi.)

As to the topic at hand, I don't think SkyAngel should be in the secular programming business and I don't think Dish and DirecTV should be in the religious programming business.

Well, if Dish has problems with channels raising prices or passing on increased costs( Many posts on this site), then so would Sky Angel have to incur them as well. They probably signed a long term contract for carriage and they do not play hardball like Charlie does when the channels like this pass on costs to Dish.
Yes, I was told when I obtained a life long subscription, they would not charge me for life to get Sky Angel. However, I suspect that this group is struggling finanically and instead of being offended, I think the money I will give them for the secular channels will be just an offering for support. We need to be gracious and forgiving. After all, they are the only Christian satellite service around and if they fail... the other channels we enjoy will not be broadcast. :eureka

I think some where in Paul's letters to the churches, that lawsuits are a disgrace to the church and we would rather be wronged than sue other Christians...

Did Paul say that those ho think that they have been wronged cannot appeal to the party that they believe wronged them---in this case Sky Am=ngel---and seek to get things turned around? If SA were to ask for donations or offer the new channels as an option that would be fine. Also if they would just open their books and plead for donations they might get them.

But i think that the SA customers want and expect SA to adhere to a high moral standard in its buiness practices. That is no too much to ask.

As to the topic at hand, I don't think SkyAngel should be in the secular programming business and I don't think Dish and DirecTV should be in the religious programming business.

Dish only has 4 religious channels (TBN, EWTN, Sky Angel One & Daystar) so I dont think they are in the religious programming business. I dont know how many DirecTV has.

My local cable company has as many as Dish does. Should they not be in the business either? I hate to say it but you can't please everyone. Some people wanted a few non religious cchannels and some didn't. It seems like the ones who dont want them are more vocal (just like in the other areas here). If you don't want them, don't pay for them.

Mininsty, not a business

This was supposed to be a Christian ministry, not a business. Unfortunately once you open the door to them charging lifetimers you will never see additional programs added without charge! We aren't even getting the programs we did pay for like daystar, 3 abn and now familyland is leaving as well.

I honestly think may christians will live without the "special channels". yet if they had asked for a donation instead of trying to break their contracts with us that any that had $ would have sent it gladly.

it seems like SA is trying to compete with DISH and now needs a "profit".

We have already made the decision that honor is more important and we will give up those channels rather than participate in this scam that SA is trying to pull off. if those channels are so costly then take them away from EVERYONE. hey, its not like they haven't done that before........

Dish only has 4 religious channels (TBN, EWTN, Sky Angel One & Daystar) so I dont think they are in the religious programming business. I dont know how many DirecTV has.

My local cable company has as many as Dish does. Should they not be in the business either? I hate to say it but you can't please everyone. Some people wanted a few non religious cchannels and some didn't. It seems like the ones who dont want them are more vocal (just like in the other areas here). If you don't want them, don't pay for them.

I'm not sure I have all of them, but there are at least 10 full-time religious channels on DirecTV.

103 Sunday Mass (part-time)
321 World Harvest Television
365 GOD TV
369 Daystar
371 The Church Channel
372 TBN
373 The Word Network
374 BYU
377 The Church Channel
378 NRB
422 EWTN

Perhaps this will cut down on Sky Angel's bill to these secular channels. The letter sent out gives the option for the lifetime subscribers to cancel altogether. That and many dropping the secular channels should cut the bill down some. They did mention in the letter that they will be adding some channels soon. Not sure how they plan to do that but I will stay tuned.

Paying $50/year is still pretty cheap. I think my brother pays that for a month of his cable service.

I do believe this change may violate the SA* lifelong agreement, unless they are able to add three faith-based TV or Radio channels to the lifelong package by May 1.

Also, I think Rob Johnson's letter drops some strong hints that they are considering a move to IPTV delivery of SA* USA. SA* Canada is already on IPTV, and has more faith-based content than SA* USA, in some respects. SA* CA has full-time feeds of Spirit, the TBN digital networks, and the Miracle Channel. On the other hand, it does not have a couple of the smaller faith-based TV channels, nor does it have any of the Salem radio channels.

Rob states in his letter, "We ... continue to look for ways to ensure that Sky Angel's ... programming is made available to you in the most cost-effective way possible." He also says "We are currently exploring a number of new technologies to bring Sky Angel programming to our subscribers ..."

Of course, he could potentially also be considering a move to MPEG-4, which could substantially increase channel count and picture quality.

The part about the new channels sounds interesting, but it will be more interesting to find out if they will *replace* current channels, or truly be *additions*. I hope the gospel music channel they are considering is the one with the lowercase "g" - it seems to be the best one out there. I also support moving Spirit to a full time slot, and while it would be slightly duplicative, I would suggest carrying JCTV in the part-time slot on KTV. JCTV carries half-hour and hour-long ministry shows for teens which are not as widely seen on SA* since the Teen portion of KTV was phased out in favor of Spirit.

would like to see user agreement

would love to see your agreement, if you can make a copy, white out personal info on copy and then scan and email if possible. there seem to be several different agreements but there is no doubt in my mind they are all being violated. I am also hoping someone taped a show and possibly caught one of the ads for lifetime membership. a picture is worth a thousand words, especially a moving one that can be posted on the net! conniesmom@earthlink.net

I just caught wind of this as I have not seen my mail recently to see if I got a letter from SA* as a lifetime sub. I find this frustrating. The only reason I have SA* is for TVU and spirit. (spirit was added after I had purchased my life time sub but prior to spirit they did have Praise tv)

If Spirit or TVU would ever go KU (I can wish) I would probally ditch skyangel completely--- TBN and 3ABN are already viewable from KU FTA satellites and there is not enough "unique" other content on sky angel.

Sounds like someone is trying to find a way to fund that satellite they have yet to build and that new uplink center their attempting to build.

4.99 a month seems pricey for "4 channels" I admit I do like HGTV and FoxNews but I already get them on analog cable and the picture is better (less compressed)

Is it me or does the skyangel.com website not list their channels carried anymore, I cant seem to find a listing there (since they changed their site since my last visit)

From the Internet Wayback Machine Sky Angel's own web site:
11/11/1998...
http://web.archive.org/web/19981202013054/www.skyangel.com/page9.html

Sky Angel channel activation

Bring Sky Angel television and radio into your home today! Become a Sky Angel subscriber. Simply pay a one-time, lifelong activation fee of just $295.00. That's it! No other hidden costs or monthly subscription bills. Or if you would rather not become a lifelong subscriber, simply pay $9.99 per month to enjoy the same ministry channels.

4/20/1999...

http://web.archive.org/web/19990508201830/http://www.skyangel.com/Page9.html
Sky Angel channel subscription

Bring Sky Angel television and radio into your home today! Become a Sky Angel subscriber. Simply pay a one-time, lifelong activation fee of just $295.00. That's it! No other hidden costs or monthly subscription bills. Or if you would rather not become a lifelong subscriber, simply pay $9.99 per month to enjoy the same ministry channels.

12/2000
http://web.archive.org/web/20011216222921/http://www.skyangel.com/

Give Sky Angel
for Christmas
This Year -
It's the Gift that Keeps on Giving!

..........................(Equipment Sold Separately)

And for a limited time, purchase a lifelong subscription to Sky Angel for only $399, or on an installment basis at $39 monthly for 12 months, and give the gift that lasts a lifetime!

With a lifelong subscription, the subscription holder will receive multiple Christ-centered TV and radio channels for life with no monthly fees ever. It's the gift that keeps on giving. Bless someone with Sky Angel this Christmas -- friends, relatives, pastors, even your local church or charity. And while you're at it, how about getting a lifelong subscription for you and your family, too? Sky Angel has something for everyone!

This offer is available for a limited time only. Call 1-800-SKY-ANGEL (1-800-759-2643) to place your lifelong subscription order -- or orders -- today.

By the way, there's no need to purchase and install your DISH-brand satellite receiving system right away. Order the lifelong subscription now and lock in on this limited-time offer, then you or your loved one can purchase and install the satellite equipment at any time. Click here and follow our three easy steps to get Sky Angel.

For terms and conditions regarding this offer, click here.

Don't want to purchase a lifelong subscription?

Purchase a $99 one-year prepaid subscription instead for yourself or as a gift and get one month free.
You or your loved one will then receive one year of Sky Angel programming. As with the lifelong subscription offer, there is no need to purchase and install the DISH-brand satellite receiving system right away. Order the $99 one-year prepaid subscription now and then you or your loved one can purchase and install the satellite equipment at any time. The subscription period will not begin until the equipment has been activated with the Sky Angel channels.

My agreement states they have contracts in place to build a satelite and launch it in approx 2003.

Also states minimum of 32 channels.

Also implies no channel loss due to "backup transponders" they can use on E3 in the event of a transponder failure.

They would be in violation of all three of these...

Did notice another interesting piece... Says I will be a lifetime subscriber for my life, or the lifetime of the SkyAngel DBS Service.. All they have to do is go IPTV and us "Lifetime" subscribers can't say anything, because the DBS Service is gone...

Well, considering how some Sky Angel subscribers feel about Hallmark, a few folks would have coronaries if Noggin was added. (I couldn't even begin to contemplate how many things certain people would object to in a typical episode of Degrassi.)

YIKES!!! I forgot all about The N. We only watch Noggin during the kid's programming, not the "youth" programming. I did happen to catch a "top 20" episodes or something about DeGrassi the other day when flipping channels. It was AWFUL (something about a girl wearing a g-string to school then skipping underwear entirely when told the g-string could not show).

In light of your excellent point about the later programming, I'm sure I would rather do without (even though there is some good stuff during the day).

Cheers,
Red

From the Internet Wayback Machine Sky Angel's own web site:
11/11/1998...
http://web.archive.org/web/19981202013054/www.skyangel.com/page9.html

Sky Angel channel activation

4/20/1999...

http://web.archive.org/web/19990508201830/http://www.skyangel.com/Page9.html
Sky Angel channel subscription

12/2000
http://web.archive.org/web/20011216222921/http://www.skyangel.com/

Give Sky Angel
for Christmas
This Year -
It's the Gift that Keeps on Giving!

..........................(Equipment Sold Separately)

And for a limited time, purchase a lifelong subscription to Sky Angel for only $399, or on an installment basis at $39 monthly for 12 months, and give the gift that lasts a lifetime!

With a lifelong subscription, the subscription holder will receive multiple Christ-centered TV and radio channels for life with no monthly fees ever. It's the gift that keeps on giving. Bless someone with Sky Angel this Christmas -- friends, relatives, pastors, even your local church or charity. And while you're at it, how about getting a lifelong subscription for you and your family, too? Sky Angel has something for everyone!

This offer is available for a limited time only. Call 1-800-SKY-ANGEL (1-800-759-2643) to place your lifelong subscription order -- or orders -- today.

By the way, there's no need to purchase and install your DISH-brand satellite receiving system right away. Order the lifelong subscription now and lock in on this limited-time offer, then you or your loved one can purchase and install the satellite equipment at any time. Click here and follow our three easy steps to get Sky Angel.

For terms and conditions regarding this offer, click here.

Don't want to purchase a lifelong subscription?

Purchase a $99 one-year prepaid subscription instead for yourself or as a gift and get one month free.
You or your loved one will then receive one year of Sky Angel programming. As with the lifelong subscription offer, there is no need to purchase and install the DISH-brand satellite receiving system right away. Order the $99 one-year prepaid subscription now and then you or your loved one can purchase and install the satellite equipment at any time. The subscription period will not begin until the equipment has been activated with the Sky Angel channels.

Sounds to me like the timing of one's purchase would be important... If you purchased the lifelong subscription, then maybe this change is legal. However, if you purchased the lifelong activation, then I don't see howthey can charge for these channels.

Cheers,
Red

MPEG4 allows them to put more channels on a transponder

MPEG2 is what Sky Angel/Dish/Direct/FTA uses right now.

Pro of MPEG4-more channels on a transponder without picture turning to yuck
Con of MPEG4-new box needed

I really don't see why anyone would pay for skyangel. 90% of the shows seem to be on each channel if not at the same exact time, within 2-3 hrs. The only reason I would get SA would be for the extra pay channels..... KU you get 4-5 Christian Channels for free.

SA for spiritual learning is decent, but for entertainment value is awful IMO.

I'm sure they will be adding GODTV soon to SA.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts