SKY Mexico new SKY+HD is a rebadged HR23-700 from D*

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I talked to someone at skytv, were i got my system, and they said the hd receiver will run at $500. Wow, I guess i'll stick to sd sky!:eek:

Thanks for the information I tried your ideas and still no luck finding the sky+hd i might just have to go with standard definition for the world cup is there anyway to pay for the sky mexico but use a different HD Capable receiver ???

Don't forget that Univisión/Telefutura will have all the World Cup games, there's no need to have sky, unless you want to pay a premium fee to watch those extra games that won't be televised in méxico (some will be via ppv).

Cheers

M.

Don't forget that Univisión/Telefutura will have all the World Cup games, there's no need to have sky, unless you want to pay a premium fee to watch those extra games that won't be televised in méxico (some will be via ppv).

Cheers

M.

Actually that's incorrect.

Take a look at the link in case you missed it.

COPA MUNDIAL FIFA SUDFRICA 2010 :: Notas Programacion

Code:
COPA MUNDIAL FIFA SUDÁFRICA 2010 EN ALTA DEFINICIÓN
[B][COLOR="Blue"]Residencial - Sin Costo a partir de FUN[/COLOR][/B]
[B][COLOR="Red"]Comercial - $2,879.00 (1)[/COLOR][/B]
Bares & Rest. - $9,599.00 (1)
Bar Hotel con SKY Guest - $9,599.00 (1)
Bar Hotel sin SKY Guest - $19,199.00 (1)

I prefer having the commentators of Televisa than Univision hands down. I also like the comedic segments that Televisa adds to these sporting events.

thats why I want to get sky for the televisa coverage of the world cup But i was really hoping to watch it in HD the people i have talked to have not given me a specific price the craigslist listing pro96 gave me the guy wouldn't sell it to me he said he only sells in ventura skytv told me they had no idea how much the sky+hd receiver was going to go for yet. anyone else have any ideas I appreciate the help

Televisa is gonna throw everything but the kitchen sink in their World Cup Coverage, they have signed Zinedine Zidane and Luis Figo to be analysts in their broadcasts

Televisa is gonna throw everything but the kitchen sink in their World Cup Coverage, they have signed Zinedine Zidane and Luis Figo to be analysts in their broadcasts

Since you are in Mexico, have you seen or heard anything about having the games in PPV to residential customers? I said no and provided the link with the info, but since you are there.. anything posted or perhaps mentioned re: that?

Since you are in Mexico, have you seen or heard anything about having the games in PPV to residential customers? I said no and provided the link with the info, but since you are there.. anything posted or perhaps mentioned re: that?

I've heard that one of televisa's new sports channels (TDN) will show some of the games not shown on Canal 5, Galavision or Canal de las Estrellas, I don't know anything about PPV, but supposedly all their residential customers will get every World Cup game for free in SD

I called the number on craigslist and emailed the person who runs SKYTVMAX.com and both of them told me that the receiver will cost 550 dollars. He told me that they were suppose to have them already but that the receivers are at the border right now. They are having problems with customs but that they should have them next weekend.

I just called the other number from San Diego and they told me it's 450. Hmmm.

Does anyone know if the AM21 from DirecTV would work with the Sky+HD? I would want to record local LA channels. I know it wouldn't have the guide data if it worked but I don't mind creating manual timers. If I get it I might sell my Tivo, to make up for all that money!

Last edited:
hopefully, the equipment prices will go down soon, and the hd offerings will increase as well.

Im a current subscriber for the Sky HD service here in Mexico. The equipment down here costs ~18 USD (9 usd for the TIVO usage, 9usd for HD programming). So if you can get it for 500usd and no paying a montly fee for it I think its a good deal (which i doubt they wouldnt charge extra).

So lets say you want the fun package, which costs ~40, if you want just 1 TV (the sky hd one) You have to pay 58 USD just for 1 TV. If you want it as an additional receiver to an SD, they charge you the extra receiver fee apart the 18usd for the HD (bout 9usd more)

Regarding the world cup games, for residencial users they are going to give it for free, and for customers of Sky HD like me, all games broadcasted in HD.

Theres a channel in the HD lineup called TDN (Televisa Deportes) However its wierd, on the last Mexico game, the game was being broadcasted on HD on Canal5, and the game was broadcasted too on TDN, but in SD (on the HD channel).

Hope this info helps clear out some doubts

What channels and what transponders do you see on the SKY?

I got the box 8 days ago and I played with several LNB's. Single, Twin, standard, Universal, etc. and I may have messed the configuration......

There were supouse to be Transponders 1, 2, 7 and 8 on IS16
I see 2, 6, 8 and 12 (no really what lyngsat says). Are my odd transponders getting re-routed?

I just received the "original" LNB (chaparral stacker) and I have the same results when I configure it and install it.

I see all televisa channels but the mosaico HD1 and mosaico HD2 keep saying "searching for signal" IS IT NORMAL?

Just remember that the new HD channels are on DVB-S2 modulation, so if you are trying to scan them with a FTA/DVBS card, it must support the DVB-S2 standards (I think its the DM800, the AzBox HD on the FTA side, and for the DVBS any that is DVBS2 compatible (and as an extra note, genpix is not DVBS2 compatible) )

Just remember that the new HD channels are on DVB-S2 modulation, so if you are trying to scan them with a FTA/DVBS card, it must support the DVB-S2 standards (I think its the DM800, the AzBox HD on the FTA side, and for the DVBS any that is DVBS2 compatible (and as an extra note, genpix is not DVBS2 compatible) )

My $40 Coolsat 8000 scans them well.

skyhd.jpg

My $40 Coolsat 8000 scans them well.

skyhd.jpg

Well its DVB-S2.. i just tried to mention some FTAs that are dvbs2 compatible. Now if we could just have a cam module so we can use our legit P5 cards to tune on the HD brooadcasts on our DVB cards :rolleyes:

I have a question. I hope someone can help me.

I will be going to Guadalajara this month and I'm wondering if a family member could get Sky at their home address and then I could bring the equipment to my house in L.A. Can I do this? I know I'll have to cancel the subscription I have now. What would happen to the SD receiver I have now? Would I be able to link it to the subscription from a family member in Mexico or it wouldn't be possible anymore? If it's not possible I guess I would have to get a 2nd receiver at my family member's house in Mexico.

Can somebody help me? What would be the best thing for me to do? I don't want to spend 550 on that right now.

I have a question. I hope someone can help me.

I will be going to Guadalajara this month and I'm wondering if a family member could get Sky at their home address and then I could bring the equipment to my house in L.A. Can I do this? I know I'll have to cancel the subscription I have now. What would happen to the SD receiver I have now? Would I be able to link it to the subscription from a family member in Mexico or it wouldn't be possible anymore? If it's not possible I guess I would have to get a 2nd receiver at my family member's house in Mexico.

Can somebody help me? What would be the best thing for me to do? I don't want to spend 550 on that right now.

If your 18 month commitment to Sky has already ended then sure you can cancel, but make sure they really cancel it, they have been known for not owning to their word: you call them to cancel two weeks before the next monthly payment (you should check your contract to be sure how many days before the next payment you need to call to cancel, otherwise they won't do it), you think you have canceled, BUT sometimes they just don't cancel it and you have to pay another month because they'll tell you "ooh sorry, your cancel order wasn't proccesed correctly, i'm sorry but you'll have to pay this month", so you have to pay attention to that, i've known at least 15 people with the same story:

Called to cancel;
Sky personnel told them it was done correctly;
Sky personnel even went to their house to get the receiver and dish (it's rented, it's not yours);
In their credit card the next month appears a payment for Sky;
People call and are "greeted" with "sorry there was a mistake", even when they have the receiver and dish (sometimes they wait 2 weeks before they install it back again).

If you're still under contract (there are 18month contracts and 24month contracts), then you have to pay a penalty fee (you have the remaining months in your contract, and the equipment will be taken from you).

In this case they'll tell you that you can find another person who wants to pay the reminder of the contract, so you can arrange for a change of "ownership" but you'll appear on that people contract as an 'aval' (somebody who'll respond in case the other party fails to make a payment).

Pretty tricky, but that's the way has been known to work since they ate DirecTV, and not only that, sometimes they'll report your name to the credit bureau.

M.

well I guess ill just go with a SD world cup it still beats having to watch it on univision and telefutura THanks

If you can't get Sky and are open to the possibility of watching it only on SD there are other options because you have C Band system you can use to get channels at SatMex with all the world cup games in SD (i don't know if you have a DVB-S2 HD receiver), but before i get into it let me tell you, believe me so when i tell you this: watching the soccer games on Univisión/Telefutura it's a lot better than to watch it on Televisa/Azteca as they tend to be a lot more neutral than mexican broadcasters (Azteca/Televisa overhype the mexican team because they have an exclusivity contract where they receive most of the money Mexico's team gets for playing in international venues, games arranged by those networks with a permit from the Mexican Federation of Football... run by a guy who also works for Televisa... even if they deny it it has been proven =P).

Televisa and Azteca yesterday went as far as saying the newly appointed referee for Mexico's match against Southafrica was selected by FIFA exclusively to give Southafrica the advantage and to try and secure Southafrica's win over Mexico no-matter-what, a rumour even followed by people on ESPN latino who also work for a Mexican sports newspaper (Record), this way they will make sure when Mexico it's eliminated they can pinpoint "errors" by the referees and will not be the fault of the team (that's the reason i'll watch the games at TVC network in México, not only because i have friends working there as commentators but because they are neutral and tell it like it is).

SD options at C band (big old dishes):
The channels at SatMex 5 (Vica will have every game and Televisa Tijuana in Ku band will have some games)

SatMex 6 (SNT will also have every game, in that sat there's also Azteca both in SD and HD altough HD it's as of right now encrypted but can also be found at 123ºW)

Hispasat (cuban tv networks will have every game),

On HD you'll have to ask somebody for the info, but i tell you this: there are at least 9 channels i know of ready to transmit the world cup (8 feeds and Univisión in HD), this without mentioning ABC HD/SD with only 10 games.

Cheers

M.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)