SkyAngel IPTV beta

mwgiii

Gaming Guru & Pub Member
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Birmingham, AL
I just received an e-mail from SkyAngel to apply to become an IPTV beta tester.

They are only selecting about 50 households taken from the pool of applicants. The beta test will last for 30 days.

From the FAQ: We are currently anticipating a launch in the 1st Quarter 2008.

ONLINE or are they sending you a box for 30 days? If its free go for it. then you can let the rest of us know the real pros and cons :)

I got the same email, but it said they were looking for a hundred people. Funny is, I left Skyangel a few months ago and went with Glorystar. So I just deleted it. I do not have the internet resources for Skyangel IPTV so that is why I left to begin with.

It did not say anything specifically about supplying a box, just to click a link an fill out a form to see if I would be selected to be a beta tester, no guarantees.

I am sure everyone who was ever an a viewer advisory participant will get the same email.

Yes, you get the box for 30 days. After which you can either keep it for a "special" price or send it back to SA.

The 50 testers came from the FAQ listed in the e-mail.

Then maybe it is people who have inquired about IPTV -- I did that awhile ago.

I never inquired, I can not afford the cost for the high speed internet package upgrade I would need to go to (I have "cheap" high speed which is less than the 1.5 you need for Skyangel), so I just respectfully cancelled my service and went to the "other christian satellite option". ;) :p

And I still received the email.

Makes you wonder how much the potential testers are being hand picked to show a certain result. Look at the way they skewed the poll about IPTV by only asking people who have internet service!

Obviously anyone who signs up for the test already has high speed. I wonder how many boxes will get returned out of the 50/100 they plan to send out. its really a very small #, 1 possibly 2 per state if they broke it up that way..

I wonder if they offer a 30 or 60 days guarantee for subscribers. Its a lot of $ to lay out and find out your internet is too slow

I wonder what will happen if the beta test bombs? Its a bit late to go back to the drawing board. You would have thought they would do test marketing before selling out DBS. Now they are locked into IPTV.

SA wants to spread this service all over the world. Remember IPTV SA is already in Canada. If it "bombs" in the US there are still foreign markets who may make SA a tidy bundle.

if you recall founder bob Johnson planned on spreading the word via skyangel SATELLITE as per his vision. He wanted to reach the rural areas. something that IPTV clearly can not do right now.

I would not be surprised to learn that skyangel canada is not fairing well these days. they have recently waived the activation fee, offered first month free (2 months if you commit for a year) and internet viewing is now included as well. why make these changes that cost them $ if skyangel is such a big hit in canada?

another odd thing, I can no longer access the canadian site, it takes you back to american. some sort of cookie perhaps...........

if you recall founder bob Johnson planned on spreading the word via skyangel SATELLITE as per his vision.
When he had this idea, there was no concept of having highspeed internet in the majority of people's homes. It would be silly to require people to stay true to a vision that has had more light shed on it to show how the overall vision can be achived. Moving to IPTV seems more feasible in achieving the overall goal, than their current offering given their money mismanagement/financial issues.
He wanted to reach the rural areas. something that IPTV clearly can not do right now.
I disagree. Most rural areas have access to high speed internet. Maybe not in america, but do some reading on how other countries have setup highspeed wireless networks for rural (and low-income!) areas - actually read up on the OLPC project that was founded partially on the concept of developing wireless networks to connect children via cheap laptops in 3rd world countries.
Not only is IPTV viable in a huge amount of the world (say hundreds/thousands of times the number of households currently able to be served by their one satellite), but it's cheap, flexible, and convenient.

I would not be surprised to learn that skyangel canada is not fairing well these days. they have recently waived the activation fee, offered first month free (2 months if you commit for a year) and internet viewing is now included as well. why make these changes that cost them $ if skyangel is such a big hit in canada?
That's called marketing. They've been in Canada for awhile now, so they change their market strategy every once in awhile. Did they ever change their offering and/or pricing for satellite?
I am sure these changes are not "costing" them anything. The cost of an internet distribution us virtually nothing (per person) to them. Any fees lost due to making these offers is gained through reduced advertising requirements (at least every company that I've ever worked with used their marketing budget to offset the costs of gaining/keeping a customer through price incentives)

another odd thing, I can no longer access the canadian site, it takes you back to american. some sort of cookie perhaps...........
Could be, or maybe they are shifting directions temporarily as they ramp up distribution to America, and their website is now reflecting that

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts