SkyAngel Plans Move to IPTV

I have contacted the FCC as follows:
I am a member of a select group which Robert W. Johnson, Sr., the founding CEO of Sky Angel called "Sky Angel" sponsors. There is an undisclosed number of us that provided "up-front funding" for the Sky Angel DBS system during the first thirty months of operation by purchasing "lifelong subscriptions" to the programming. I have just learned, not through Sky Angel but through a third party, that Sky Angel has requested permission from the FCC to transfer ownership of its satellite frequencies to DISH Network and if approved will discontinue providing DBS service shortly after FCC approval. Apparently Sky Angel will be transitioning to a broadband Internet protocol, commonly known as IPTV, with programming still delivered to the TV. It will be received by the viewer through a broadband Internet connection and small set-top box. The IPTV technology does not require an outside dish or antenna, professionally installed equipment or a computer.

My question is what provision does the Sky Angel request to the FCC make for the undisclosed number of Sky Angel sponsors, or lifelong subscribers, who invested in the Sky Angel vision? A free subscription to the IPTV system and provision of the set-top box in itself would not satisfy the requirement unless the subscriber just happened to already have broadband internet service. To subscribe for a broadband internet service would cost more than a Sky Angel subscription. If Sky Angel sells its FCC authorized frequencies to Dish would Dish then be obligated to honor the lifelong subscriptions, or would Sky Angel be obligated to provide free IPTV subscriptions w/ equipment and broadband internet subscriptions, or would Sky Angel be expected to compensate monetarily those that are disadvantaged by the sale? Again, Sky Angel has not provided any insight into these negotiations.

checked the lifetime agreement

I checked that (so far useless piece of paper) and it specifies that we will receive programming via DISH equipment! so once again, are they hanging lifetimers out to dry? Interesting that they offer 1 YEAR subs to the "special 4", isn't it?

where exactly do we draw a line here? first they want more $, now new equipment (not everyone has DSL available) what aftet that, more $ again?

I have contacted DISH to ask their position on this and if our equipment will continue to receive SA after 1 year. Otherwise seems deceitful if they continue to sell service/equipment knowing it will be obsolete in a year

SA was a ministry who is now trying to turn itself into a business.
It wasn't run enough like a business from the very start, as Iceberg said - they did not have a backup plan. It was too much "vision" not enough "spreadsheet".

Pepper,

Just curious, did you receive this via postal mail or email? I have not received anything as a longtime, lifetime subscriber. But then, I hear about letters and announcements here long before they show up in my mailbox!

Red
Received in email. I am one of their "independent sales representatives" and today is the first I heard of any of this.

I checked that (so far useless piece of paper) and it specifies that we will receive programming via DISH equipment! so once again, are they hanging lifetimers out to dry? Interesting that they offer 1 YEAR subs to the "special 4", isn't it?
If they sell their portion of the satellite spot they have to Dish (which is sounds like they've already filed it) for them to operate they need new equipment. Plus Dish equipment cannot work through the internet like this new box would. Once they sell the only thing you can receive from Dish equipment is Dish Network :)

where exactly do we draw a line here? first they want more $, now new equipment (not everyone has DSL available) what aftet that, more $ again?
welcome to reality.

I have contacted DISH to ask their position on this and if our equipment will continue to receive SA after 1 year. Otherwise seems deceitful if they continue to sell service/equipment knowing it will be obsolete in a year
heh...good luck with an answer from them. They don't answer legit Dish customers questions. Most people at Dish have no clue what Sky Angel is. And the equipment isnt going to be obsolete. You can sub to Dish Network with it or you can sell it. Heck I've sold many recievers that I don't need (upgraded mine) and sold the older ones.

Also, you fail to realize something. Dish has NO, NONE, NADA, ZIPPO say in whether or not Sky Angel stays working or ceases. They are two INDEPENDENT companies. The only tie in is since SA had no uplink facilities & no equipment (all they had was the license for the transponder space), they signed a deal with Dish to provide the uplink facilities and to have the equipment work with Sky Angel (sicne they use the same encryption mode).

So if Sky Angel says "we're pulling the plug" all Dish can say is "OK...it was fun working with ya". And that could be tomorrow, next month, or next year. Sky Angel signed the contracts with those channels. So if they cease transmissions, then all those contracts are moot so those channels would be pulled. If Dish wants to sign agreements with those channels (and if they could without being sued like they have in the past) then they could.

Also the original "lifetime" was not lifetime anyways. It was until 2009 or if Echo 3 blew up. Honestly Echo 3 not blowing up yet is a miracle in itself since its crippled. So I would call it borrowed time :)

If Sky Angel sells its FCC authorized frequencies to Dish would Dish then be obligated to honor the lifelong subscriptions,

nope they wouldn't...because they are TWO INDEPENDENT COMPANIES

Dish has NO, NONE, NADA, ZIPPO say in whether or not Sky Angel stays working or ceases. The only tie in is since SA had no uplink facilities & no equipment (all they had was the license for the transponder space), they signed a deal with Dish to provide the uplink facilities and to have the equipment work with Sky Angel (sicne they use the same encryption mode).

So if Sky Angel says "we're pulling the plug" all Dish can say is "OK...it was fun working with ya". And that could be tomorrow, next month, or next year. Sky Angel signed the contracts with those channels. So if they cease transmissions, then all those contracts are moot so those channels would be pulled. If Dish wants to sign agreements with those channels (and if they could without being sued like they have in the past) then they could.
(copied this from my other response...don't want writers cramp)

lifetimers?

Since we subscribed to SA and the lifetime says they will use DISH BRAND equipment, how can they phase out the DBS? I thought I was mad with the "special 4" nonsense but I think this is going to get worse! I wonder if the "special 4" was a red herring, designed to figure out how many lifetimers they actually have? Then they can figure out how many irate people they will have to deal with or should I dare hope compensate in some way?

only until 2009?

How do you come up with that date? My sub was for my lifetime and/or lifetime of my spouse........ neither of us plan to be dead by then :)

seriously though, assuming you are correct they would still be WRONG as they plan to turn everything off in 2008 if I read this correctly........

Also the original "lifetime" was not lifetime anyways. It was until 2009 or if Echo 3 blew up. Honestly Echo 3 not blowing up yet is a miracle in itself since its crippled. So I would call it borrowed time :)
Not exactly correct according to lifelong provisions, excerpt follows:
EchoStar III has a projected operating-lifetime of 12 to 14 years, There are backup transponders on the EchoStar III DBS satellite in order to provide replacements in the event of transponder failure, In addition, DVS has contracted to construct a backup DBS satellite for launch in approximately the year 2002 to provide additional backup in the unlikely event of a total EchoStar III DBS satellite failure, Once the EchoStar III DBS satellite ends its useful life, DVS plans to move all of its licensed DBS frequencies to a DVS owned/controlled DBS satellite,

This is actually really bad. Many people do not have access to broadband or cannot afford to pay it.

My In-laws are in this category, no broadband available even if they had the mean to pay for it. Thus Sky Angel will no longer be available to them (nor many other of their relatives).

I guess I see a Glorystar system in their future. $200 in equipment and no fees. Can't beat that.

Boy, what a rotten way to start a weekend!
I'm not going to offer anything new to the conversation here, except to say that I live in Christian radio no-man's land AND broadband no-man's land as well. My Internet is 512kpbs Satellite 2-way -- not good enough for IPTV (SA-IPTV needs 1 to 1.5 Mbps). To find that my SA lifetime subscription is going to be worthless - I know that a lot of viewers here are going to say I need to "get a life", but this effects me deeply. Glorystar - if you (please!) add Bott Radio & Worship Network - I'll be joining you as quickly as I can.
Bad timing SA! Bad move! God bless us everyone.

Since we subscribed to SA and the lifetime says they will use DISH BRAND equipment, how can they phase out the DBS?
easy...change equipment. It happens all the time.

Example...Dish Network use to have a HD pack that any HD receiver could get. Now if you want to get HD, you have to pay for a new receiver. So my Dish 811 which was purchased for HD purposes is now useless for HD (except for over the air TV with an antenna). i cannot sub to any of the DIsh HD programming. So if SA decided to change equipment for whatever reason, they can do that.

Not exactly correct according to lifelong provisions, excerpt follows:
Quote:
EchoStar III has a projected operating-lifetime of 12 to 14 years, There are backup transponders on the EchoStar III DBS satellite in order to provide replacements in the event of transponder failure, In addition, DVS has contracted to construct a backup DBS satellite for launch in approximately the year 2002 to provide additional backup in the unlikely event of a total EchoStar III DBS satellite failure, Once the EchoStar III DBS satellite ends its useful life, DVS plans to move all of its licensed DBS frequencies to a DVS owned/controlled DBS satellite
Dish has a backup now...its called Rainbow I when they bought out Voom. So if Echo 3 goes in the crapper and dies completelly Dish has a backup of Rainbow I (Dish right now is utilizing Rainbow I for other programming). Sky Angel does not. Their agreement says "Echo 3" and not any satellite at 61.5 W

B My Internet is 512kpbs Satellite 2-way -- not good enough for IPTV (SA-IPTV needs 1 to 1.5 Mbps).
heck I live in the city and could barely get SA-IPTV (My internet fluxuates between 1.2-1.5M)
Glorystar - if you (please!) add Bott Radio & Worship Network - I'll be joining you as quickly as I can.

we have a glorystar forum right below the SA one and there is a thread of "what should Glorystar add?"
Make your channel recommendations there :)

I hope Dish uses this as an opportunity to keep most SA subscribers by offering a Christian programming package (keeping most if not all the current SA channels plus adding others like NRB or the many music video channels that are out there ). Or they could add these channels to their DishFamily and higher packages.

Charlie Ergen has tired to be fair to subscribers as technologies and programming changes (like no DVR fee for those with a 501 or 508). It would be good for him to do the same for SA customers by offering a special package or offer to keep them.

DirecTV currently offers more Christian channels than Dish (due to contract restrictions with SA). They could then be the leader in Christian programming in addition to HD.

Also, channels like TLN (currently on SA) and FamilyNet also offer entertainment and general programming that would add value to all packages.

Question - Will Dish keep Angel One or will SA & Dish cut all ties once the FCC gives their approval?

I hope Dish uses this as an opportunity to keep most SA subscribers by offering a Christian programming package (keeping most if not all the current SA channels plus adding others like NRB or the many music video channels that are out there ). Or they could add these channels to their DishFamily and higher packages.

Charlie Ergen has tired to be fair to subscribers as technologies and programming changes (like no DVR fee for those with a 501 or 508). It would be good for him to do the same for SA customers by offering a special package or offer to keep them.
hopefully he does. You have some good points there. I could see Dish adding some of the SA channels to Dish Family (TV ones...radio highly unlikely).
DirecTV currently offers more Christian channels than Dish (due to contract restrictions with SA). They could then be the leader in Christian programming in addition to HD.
very true.
Also, channels like TLN (currently on SA) and FamilyNet also offer entertainment and general programming that would add value to all packages.

I have TLN on C-Band (5 versions...3 are local stations, one for cable and one that SA sees) and they do have some pretty good programs on there :)

Question - Will Dish keep Angel One or will SA & Dish cut all ties once the FCC gives their approval?
I assume they can keep it since it is an agreement between the two. That is why Dish has it on 262.

Okay, I'm confused. Someone who is a tecchie please help me.

I currently have SA set up for 2 TVs. However, I also added an FM transmitter that allows me to receive SA audio on every radio in my home. I just retired and really looked forward to enjoying SA much more! I even set up auto-tune throughout the day so SA would change to my favorite broadcasts all day long. I'd be very sad to lose this programming that keeps me company every day. The radio stations are more important to me than the TV channels.

I also have Insight cable and broadband. I like my Insight service and do not plan to change.

So . . . what would I have to do with my current set-up to be able to get SA programming throughout my house with a change to IPTV? Will it even be possible?

So . . . what would I have to do with my current set-up to be able to get SA programming throughout my house with a change to IPTV? Will it even be possible?
I just read about the canadian version and all it does it hook to a modem.

So as an example, it would look like this

cable------modem-----ethernet---sky angel box

It works with either wired or wireless...and in some cases you could use both ports of the modem (USB & Ethernet)

cable-----modem-----ethernet----sky angel
--------------------------USB----------computer

Here is what the SA IPTV site for Canada looks like
Sky Angel IPTV: Christian Family-Friendly Television (TV) and Radio

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)