SkyAngel Plans Move to IPTV

It wasn't run enough like a business from the very start, as Iceberg said - they did not have a backup plan. It was too much "vision" not enough "spreadsheet".

That is something I have been saying here for a while. Many of you are acting all huffy and puffy, but their long term viability is questionable. It is very possible they made promises they couldn't fulfill, but perhaps you should have paid more attention up front.

Any kind of "one fee for life" scheme is doomed to failure. Even GloryStar will ultimately have problems if they have no ongoing cashflow.

SkyAngel was great while it lasted, but the end seems near.

I just wish DishFamily had HGTV in it. :)

Brad

heck I live in the city and could barely get SA-IPTV (My internet fluxuates between 1.2-1.5M)

we have a glorystar forum right below the SA one and there is a thread of "what should Glorystar add?"
Make your channel recommendations there :)

I would be interested in GloryStar except that I would want full FTA access if I went that route and I got really confused about the options when I read through things here and via connected links. (And I make my living on computers, the "masses" have no chance heading that way.)

It reminds me of all the desktop Linux versions.... :)

Brad

So . . . what would I have to do with my current set-up to be able to get SA programming throughout my house with a change to IPTV? Will it even be possible?

I think you could do that with a normal computer. Just send the audio output to the whole house instead of the output from your Dish receiver.

I expect I will be monkeying more with that myself. My biggest challenge is getting a good Red-White-Yellow cable signal to feed into my multiplexer that I can then redistribute throughout the house.

Brad

I would be interested in GloryStar except that I would want full FTA access if I went that route and I got really confused about the options when I read through things here and via connected links. (And I make my living on computers, the "masses" have no chance heading that way.)

It reminds me of all the desktop Linux versions.... :)

Brad

You do have full FTA access with Glorystar if you want.

In a nutshell all Glorystar is, is a packaged up set of equipment you'd buy anyway for a FTA setup including the special dual LNB. You could easily just install a signal LNB and put a motor on it if you want.

One of the extra things that G* does however is have a pre-programmed code for the G* channels. In other words you punch in the code and the receiver is automatically setup to receive all the G* channels. This make installation really easy, you don't have to scan. But you can just as easily ignore this feature. I've only had it running a couple days and I've already edited the channel list by removing some and tried an autoscan on a transponder and added a channel found there. But I can always go back to the G* default setup.

So in other words you can use the default G* channel setup or ignore it just as easily and add in all the international channels for example.

Stop by the Glorystar forums and ask away. :D

so true BonScott

That is all Glorystar is....some channels opn FTA birds. If you dont get the pre-programmed reciever, you can scan for whatever you want. I use different boxes and have those channels logged in to. There are some other religious channels not on the Glorystar satellites but are on others.

like Bon said, swing by the Glorystar forum...we won't bite :)

DVS has contracted to construct a backup DBS satellite for launch in approximately the year 2002 to provide additional backup in the unlikely event of a total EchoStar III DBS satellite failure, Once the EchoStar III DBS satellite ends its useful life, DVS plans to move all of its licensed DBS frequencies to a DVS owned/controlled DBS satellite.
It appears that this statement was fiction unless a deal fell through and SA just didn't bother making it public!

Equipment subsidies?

Sky Angel Only (without Dish Network package) will no longer allow for equipment subsidies. Consequently, customer will need to pay full retail for equipment (currently $350-400 for one-room system)
:confused: Where did this inflated figure come from?

I had someone ask about one of these and said they can get one for $199 installed but on the website it states $199 just for the system plus around $150 for installation. What is the cheapest FTA receiver with blind scan that is decent and can I use a Primestar lnbf to pickup Glorystar?

I would say the Traxis 3500 or the Fortec Classic..both are betwwen 100-125 bucks but you may find a previously owned box on Ebay for cheaper

The Primestar LNB will work for 1/2 the channels. Glorystar has 2 satellites they use. G25 (Ia5/T5 for the old school people) at 97W and AMC4 at 101W

You could add a second LNB to the Prinestar one...I would aim at IA5 and add the 2nd LNB for 101. The chanenls on 101 are pretty strong (I swear those channels must have a "higher power" helping because their signals are very strong)

That is something I have been saying here for a while. Many of you are acting all huffy and puffy, but their long term viability is questionable. It is very possible they made promises they couldn't fulfill, but perhaps you should have paid more attention up front.

Any kind of "one fee for life" scheme is doomed to failure. Even GloryStar will ultimately have problems if they have no ongoing cashflow.

SkyAngel was great while it lasted, but the end seems near.

I just wish DishFamily had HGTV in it. :)

Brad
For me it was a good investment. I think I paid either $495 or $595 including equipment, and have had 10 good years of service. I just didn't approve of the way we were let down. Glorystar may not be an option for me as my lot is surrounded by tall trees.

That is what my Glorystar system is, a Primestar Dish with 2 LNB's strapped together and a Traxis 3500... works great. I have the Primestar aimed at G28 (IA5) and the strapped on LNB picks up AMC 4 3ABN Signal strength is 82 % with the Traxis.

In the bedroom I have a motorized system with a Traxis 3500 and when I aim it at AMC 4 3ABN also comes in at 82 % like Ice said there must be a "higher power" helping the signal.

3ABN is also moving to IPTV they will have a kids Channel and another Channel called World of Praise I think and will only be available with IPTV.

I would say the Traxis 3500 or the Fortec Classic..both are betwwen 100-125 bucks but you may find a previously owned box on Ebay for cheaper

The Primestar LNB will work for 1/2 the channels. Glorystar has 2 satellites they use. G25 (Ia5/T5 for the old school people) at 97W and AMC4 at 101W

You could add a second LNB to the Prinestar one...I would aim at IA5 and add the 2nd LNB for 101. The chanenls on 101 are pretty strong (I swear those channels must have a "higher power" helping because their signals are very strong)

I just dropped dish network a nice e-mail about putting a christian channel
type package together since sky angel is leaving.
Cant hurt to ask...right?
perhaps a bunch of us could ask and be PRO-ACTIVE and at least get a few
christian channels added(tvu,spirit, etc....)
my kids were really upset when i told them we would be losing tvu!

A new customer agreement date 6/8/07 i dont know if there
is anything really new or interesting in it! dont seem like it to me

Last edited:
I am sure that these christian stations would be extremely cheap if they added them for everybody that has Dish Network (average price per customer vs the customer base they have now would make it very cheap) or as an optional package and would take up little bandwidth. I do not see why they would not be able to make a deal with Dish Network with these channels. They could make them MPEG-4 only to save bandwidth for those channels and probably squeeze them all on a transponder or two or lease one of those "other" satellite slots to them like they have been planning to do to other businesses.

If they go MPEG-4 then most of the boxes wouldn't work....most recievers are MPEG2..right now they only use MPEG4 on HD channels so they can fit 3-4 on a transponder (MPEG2 is only 2)

You can fit up to 12 channels per transponder (Dish does that right now) so 24 channels is a possibility

This kinda annonys me. I just paid for a year of the secular channels on skyangel's DBS service.. If they shut their DBS service down, I am not going to receive those channels anymore. I would think I would be intitled a refund because I understand while lifelong can go away when the dbs service fades, I specifically paid for a YEAR of the present 4 secular channels, that means they would have to provide me a year of those channels or refund me...

I am in the same boat.......
just paid for 1yr annual sub in june!$149.00

hope this whole thing drags out for 1 yr
will i get some type of refund if not??
we will have to wait and see..............

the agreement said they would be launching their own satellite, looks like that is out the window :( I have no problem with the using IPTV in ADDITION to satellite, I do have a problem wiht them replacing it.

For me it was a good investment. I think I paid either $495 or $595 including equipment, and have had 10 good years of service. I just didn't approve of the way we were let down. Glorystar may not be an option for me as my lot is surrounded by tall trees.

It was great for me since my dad paid the "fee", though he paid more than the later "lifetime memberships" since he chipped in when it was still on the drawing board. When it became clear he could never activate his membership, they allowed him to transfer it to me.

I would be really annoyed if I had sprung for a couple of additional lifetime memberships during their last big drive. I almost did so, but I am glad the wiser thoughts of my wife to "not spend money" prevailed.

Brad

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts