SkyAngel Plans Move to IPTV

If they do "kick out" lifetime subs they will definitely reduce their ability to interested many of such people in their future efforts. Unfortunately for them, if they do not make more income off such people they will also limit their future options, so I don't think they have any really good choices.

Brad

They feel IPTV will allow them to add more channels and neat features on the receiver. Right nown they are bound by the Dish agreement they have (2 transponders only) so they are limited on channels. They go to IPTV and they can add many more channels if they want to :)

But what would that mean for lifetimers that can not do the IPTV thing? I don't know how many lifetimers can not do the IPTV thing, but I do know I can't and my parents can't. Broadband is not available in our areas.

If they do "kick out" lifetime subs they will definitely reduce their ability to interested many of such people in their future efforts.

It will reduce my interest in SA, but not because I am mad. It will be because I don't know if SA will be around in the future. If they are doing this because it needs the money what other moves will they make when they need more money. Also I can't move to IPTV with them.

I invested in the company as a lifetime subscriber with no promise as to the future. With the move to IPTV I really don't think SA should have to carry me, a DBS subscriber, over as a lifetimer. I invested in the DBS side and the paperwork was very clear about that. However, since I can't subscribe to the IPTV side of things, I will automatically move over to a competitor. I don't really have a choice.

Iceberg, are you leaning toward going with the SA IPTV?

I think SA is simply facing the fact that they need to go with changing technology - there is not a sufficient market for their current satellite offering to give them adequate revenue to keep going. So many people who might have been interested just didn't act on it, maybe because of cost, maybe because they thought it would be too complicated to set up. I was always asking people if they knew about SA -- and few did. Not enough marketing.

I'm spoiled being able to pick up SA programming on two TVs and on every radio in my house at any time -- even have extra remotes by several radios. It's great! But I recognize that almost any programming I care about is alternatively available free on-line at any time as well, including Internet radio for great music. I'm guessing that with some technical help, I could get a set-up that would allow me to select programming I want to hear and send it throughout my house without going with SA. But SA would still be a convenient way to do it. I'll be interested in the costs. And if I do decide to pay for it, I'll be mindful that SA, or their use of the IPTV configuration, could disappear at any time with ever-changing technology.

oh contrair monfrar....have a cabin in northern MN and had to cut a few trees to dish the Dish subscription and Galaxy10 (FTA) setup working...hey if you want something most will take care of those pesky trees :)
But what if that neighbor up the hill has a gun and the trees are the something he wants most . . .

It isn't just about money, I have to admit that a good ten years of service is worth what I paid. However, it is about honesty and commitment. I wouldn't have known about the move to IPTV were it not for this thread, how about the undisclosed number of lifetimers who know nothing of this forum? SA used to have good updates about the future back when Johnson, Sr. and Pelle Karlsson spoke on the SA update program. The current practice seems to be to keep us in the dark unless Jr. is just asleep at the wheel. It is going to look bad when unsuspecting little old ladies that don't even know what DSL is are suddenly dumped from SA.

If you think long term, about the two business models (IPTV vs DBS) for SA, I think IPTV makes the most sense for them.

I just read in today's paper that Dufur Oregon, with 512 homes, is spending three million bucks on fiber for broadband.

If the majority of SA's future subscribers have or will have broadband - the set up of IPTV is relatively easy. You don't have to roll a truck and person to set up a special dish at 61.5°. IPTV is just plug and play.

Their current business model requires the construction and support of an uplink center, a replacement satellite soon, and the continued support of lifetime subs without a revenue stream from them.

Bob

Well, 3 out of the 4 members in my church that have SA will not be following them to IPTV because we don't get broadband internet. I have WildBlue satellite, but the FAP limits would shut me down for extended viewing and I believe that is true for the other residential satellite internet providers for us folks that live in the sticks. Fortunately 3 out of 4 members also have FTA dishes aimed at AMC4. I can see a run coming up on dual LNB brackets and bullet LNBs to add G-25.

Not to stereotype the demographics too much, but I wonder about SA's market research that will leave behind many of the rural folks that don't have broadband internet. I suspect the rural folks have a higher percentage of religious programing viewers, and while the population density is a lot lower, there are quite a few of them out there as can be seen by observing the last two presidential elections. Then again, this may have been a "last choice" for SA rather than a "best choice".

Iceberg, are you leaning toward going with the SA IPTV?
not right now for 2 reasons
-my internet at home BARELY meets the requirement most of the time
-alot of the channels on SA I can pick up on C-band satellite so I can view them there.

I think SA is simply facing the fact that they need to go with changing technology - there is not a sufficient market for their current satellite offering to give them adequate revenue to keep going. So many people who might have been interested just didn't act on it, maybe because of cost, maybe because they thought it would be too complicated to set up. I was always asking people if they knew about SA -- and few did. Not enough marketing.
that and the agreement they have with Dish they are realizing wasn't the best interest to expand. When you trade 6 transponders that they own to Dish so they can get off the ground (leaving you with 2 transponders) you pretty much shot yourself in the foot for expansion or a backup in case something happens (like losing 3 channels)

I'm spoiled being able to pick up SA programming on two TVs and on every radio in my house at any time -- even have extra remotes by several radios. It's great! But I recognize that almost any programming I care about is alternatively available free on-line at any time as well, including Internet radio for great music. I'm guessing that with some technical help, I could get a set-up that would allow me to select programming I want to hear and send it throughout my house without going with SA. But SA would still be a convenient way to do it. I'll be interested in the costs. And if I do decide to pay for it, I'll be mindful that SA, or their use of the IPTV configuration, could disappear at any time with ever-changing technology.

One of the issues that SA forgets to realize is that not everyone has broadband or can get fast internet. So that hinders them going to IPTV in my mind

The move to IPTV might even allow SA* to integrate as an optional premium package on other providers. What if they could offer their package over at&t U-verse or Verizon FIOS? The "family friendly" "faith based" alternative basic package might go over well with regulators as another way of offering more options and competition with new video services. Plus they would likely be able to be integrated with the VIPnnn series of E* receivers that will have IPTV functionality.

Maybe they could even offer SA* through the AppleTV STB? Engadget reports that some version of U-verse may be offered through AppleTV.

Not to stereotype the demographics too much, but I wonder about SA's market research that will leave behind many of the rural folks that don't have broadband internet. I suspect the rural folks have a higher percentage of religious programing viewers, and while the population density is a lot lower, there are quite a few of them out there as can be seen by observing the last two presidential elections. Then again, this may have been a "last choice" for SA rather than a "best choice".
It seems to miss the stated mission . . . "Sky Angel’s mission is to build and operate a global direct broadcast satellite system, using our own satellites, as the most effective means of assuring that the Gospel will penetrate every nation culture and people—even the most unreachable regions of the world."

If Sky Angel keeps me on as a lifetime member, I may buy the new hardware and hook it up if and when AT&T ever gets broadband out to my house. They are only a mile away from what I understand. However they don't have to legally and the only reason I can see that they would is to keep that extra $5/month for premium channels.

I have a couple of concerns about the move. I received a survey a few months back from them asking if I would switch to IPTV. I hope that wasn't the extent of their market research because the results would obviously be skewed since only member with internet service would have been participating in the survey. I am also concerned about the amount of competition they may face. 3ABN already has their own IPTV service and is talking about adding family friendly channels. I am concerned Sky Angel may find themselves competing with a lot of other companies for a small nitch market.

sky angel canada

found this online, looks like they are paying $25/month, $20 "activation fee" and less programming so far. I doubt they are going to hold the price at $14.99. their prices have gone up rapidly in the last few years!!! Noticed they are offering some of the Glory Star channels plus they still have family land listed. smile of a child can be watched for free online too!

Sky Angel Internet Protocol Television (IPTV) for Canadian Residents

and this direct from sky angel:

Sky Angel IPTV: Christian Family-Friendly Television (TV) and Radio

have questions, not happy? contact info below :) I emailed her a list of questions and am waiting for an answer.
Nancy Christopher, Vice President, Corporate Communications, Sky Angel/Dominion Video Satellite Inc., 239-403-9130 ext. 213, Nancy.Christopher@skyangel.com

Last edited:
I think their statement has been tweeked a bit :
Sky Angel: Christian Family-Friendly TV and Radio: Sky Angel® Welcome and Vision&~=

Our Vision:
To provide a global communications platform as an instrument of unity to equip the Body of Christ to fulfill the Great Commission.
Our Mission: To build and operate a global communications system as the most effective means of assuring that the Gospel will penetrate every nation, culture and people—even the most unreachable regions of the world.

I wouldnt base the canadian channel list on what the US version may end up carrying at this point, as Canadian television services can't carry channels without approval so some of the channels on skyangel US are likely not allowed in canada.

It will be interesting to see what is added or subtracted though -- I got a feeling at least we'll see the TBN Suite of channels show up on the American Version of Skyangel IPTV. (those channels which are not avail presently on the skyangel US DBS Service)

I would think the SA* US IPTV would include all the channels of their CA IPTV service, and then some. IPTV is unregulated in Canada - it is the only way to have a completely Christian television service, because an entire satellite or cable system that offered programming from only one faith would be unacceptable to the CRTC (Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission).

This boggles my mind! I just watched a couple of programs on Angel 1 which is also seen on Dish. Low and behold I saw a couple of commercials for adding SA to Dish or as stand alone. How can SA justify someone going stand alone at this juncture? Maybe if one called the number hopefully the operator would explain the situation.

This boggles my mind! I just watched a couple of programs on Angel 1 which is also seen on Dish. Low and behold I saw a couple of commercials for adding SA to Dish or as stand alone. How can SA justify someone going stand alone at this juncture? Maybe if one called the number hopefully the operator would explain the situation.

Hey Elder, just wait and let this situation play out and we'll ALL see just how Christian "Jr" and his company is.:) The very fact that they haven't communicated with their subs, lifetime and otherwise speaks volumes to me.

A friend called SA to renew his one year sub and was told about the probable shift to IPTV and that he would receive a refund when it happens. The bad news is that he is SA only and has only had one year's use of his equipment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)