SkyBOX: VOOM Boom or Bust?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
Entire Article Here

They say the service will never make it because: (a) It's a "me-too" offering in an already crowded field; (b) It's too expensive; (c) Sears is no place to launch a high-end offering; and (d) It lacks a full complement of programming.

On the "me too," for example, Cablevision, Rainbow and VOOM big kahuna Chuck Dolan insists that this is NOT a copy cat, but rather a new category aimed at HD. We're mixed on that one. But let's not forget that when DBS launched, the cable guys did the same me-too yawn. And look where that got them. As for the too expensive .... anyone out there remember what DirecTV cost on its first go-round? $799.99; and that was back in 1994. Ten years later at $749.99, VOOM doesn't look all that out of whack to us (if you grant them the "newness" part).

Now Sears as the starting place for a high-end service.... That is akin to selling caviar in a donut shop. But then Sears anted up significantly for the privilege, good only through this January. With start-ups, we'd say, upfront money can cover a lot of sins. And finally, on the lack of a full programming slate ...

This is the tough one. The new VOOM equipment comes with an antenna for over-the-air HD broadcasts which might, at some point, ameliorate the programming slate problem. Also, Cablevision has applied for several Ka-Band slots that would certainly boost capacity. But even more intriguing, we've now had three close industry observers sidle up with whispers about a possible VOOM match-up with yet another DBS player. In short, Pegasus. Although wounded by DISH local-channe incursions, Pegasus still boasts around 1.2 million DirecTV subs – and the company would, of course, argue that those subs "belong" to PGTV.

Voom is not going to get nearly as many sales at the $749 pricepoint especially considering they have a lack of SD content and their HD content, from what I heard, repeats the programming on those channels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)