Skystar 2.3p and Blindscanning

Status
Please reply by conversation.

timmy1376

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 20, 2004
Manhattan, KS
First off, I believe a few of us around here are starting to get some of these cards, so I wanted to start a thread that will help us share settings for the 2 blindscan softwares available, and discuss whether or not to use Linux with MythTV or use Windows and softwares like DVBDream or ProgDVB.

For the experts, a couple of things.
1. I have read that the Altrxo version of blindscanner is faster than BxS's version, is that your experiences?
2. What settings are you using such as frequency step, delay, etc?
3. Is the skystar generally have a lower signal and quality reading than other PCI cards?
4. Is DVBDream the most used program?
5. Anyone used this card in a Linux MythTV setup? How does it work? Will MythTV work to blindscan?

I don't expect great results like a STB, but I would expect to be able to scan in a game or two this college basketball season, and some baseball this summer.

Any suggestions or help is much appreciated, looking forward to seeing what others are using.

Just a bump to see if JerryT might respond with some suggestions.

thanks!

PS I tried to PM him, but his box is full.

1. I have read that the Altrxo version of blindscanner is faster than BxS's version, is that your experiences?
Yes, I found the Altrxo software to be faster, but they both are very quick. Like 1 to 2 minutes.

2. What settings are you using such as frequency step, delay, etc?
Original settings, I did play with the settings, but can not tell you what works the best since I have not use the blindscan software since driver 4.4.0 came out.

3. Is the skystar generally have a lower signal and quality reading than other PCI cards?
No, I found the Skystar2 tuner to be one of the strongest I have seen.

4. Is DVBDream the most used program?
That is personal choice. Relocation has worked very hard and the software is awesome in my opinion.

5. Anyone used this card in a Linux MythTV setup? How does it work? Will MythTV work to blindscan?
Yes, The Skystar2 card is very popularly used card in Linux. I have not used Linux, so I can't comment on how the card works with Linux. I don't know if Linux supports Hardware Blind Scans with the Skystar2 version 2.3, my guess would be "NO".

Last edited:
Yes, I found the Altrxo software to be faster, but they both are very quick. Like 1 to 2 minutes.

Original settings, I did play with the settings, but can not tell you what works the best since I have not use the blindscan software since driver 4.4.0 came out.

What are you using to scan now? Why did you move to 4.4.0? I am contemplating getting a blindscan STB instead...

Hello all

I'm part of the people that just got a skystar 2.3.

I'm using a program called blindscan.exe to scan. Where can I get the programs you are talking about.

I searched but did not find them.

Best regards

Labgate

Try these settings with blindscan program. Not my work-found on dvbn forums.
The program can be downloaded at hxxp://www.dvbskystar.com

Intervals :
7500 - 5000,
5000 - 3750,
3750 - 2500,
2500 - 1875
and 1875 - 1250.

i scan every of this intervals alone with this setup:

Carrier = 35ms
QPSK Lock = 5000ms
Viterbi = 2000ms
Capture Band = 6000
Step MHz = 1
BW Jump = 0.80
CSR picked

Try these settings with blindscan program. Not my work-found on dvbn forums.
The program can be downloaded at hxxp://www.dvbskystar.com

Intervals :
7500 - 5000,
5000 - 3750,
3750 - 2500,
2500 - 1875
and 1875 - 1250.

i scan every of this intervals alone with this setup:

Carrier = 35ms
QPSK Lock = 5000ms
Viterbi = 2000ms
Capture Band = 6000
Step MHz = 1
BW Jump = 0.80
CSR picked

Thank you

I will try with your settings. I tried to scan last night. It worked, once I used the right driver.

I'm very happy to have a skystar 2.3. I was missing blindscanning.

Best regards

Labgate

Regarding Skystar2's. I have both 2.3i, 2.6D revisions. Of course, 2.3i rocks even in general usage - especially when watching high FEC, low SR channels. It just switches channel like breese, while 2.6D needs much much more time to lock on low SR channel.

1. Both have same error in B2C2 chip, which causes problems with several transponders on several satellites (11623 on hotbird for example).

2. While number readings on L & Q of 2.3i revision are generally higher, sensitivity is same as 2.6D - just when calculating L & Q, 2.6D considers SR & FEC. All we know, having "same" 70% quality on satellite with FEC 1/2 and SR 30000 is not same, as having 70% quality on satellite with FEC 7/8 and SR 1110.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)