Slave CS5000 to Conaxsat DUO?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Phottoman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
OK, I got the coolsat 5000 today, and I spent the evening trying to find all the sats that Phottette likes to watch. She's home during the day and I have run out of ideas on how to teach her how to use the CS5000.

So ... here's my question.

I hear and read a lot about slaving one receiver off another.

We have a Conaxsat DUO which she knows very well how to use. I wanted the CS so I can blind scan. I was blown away with the speed of the blindscan, compared to the painful experiance (45 minutes and longer)with the DUO.

How do I slave one from the other, and should I put the DUO back in line so Phottette can watch "her" TV during the day?

We have five different dishes plus a motorized dish. I think the motor is on it's last legs, it doesn't want to stop ON the sat when traveling West to east, and doesn't want to go all the way TO the sat when travelling East to west. I thought I'd fixed that problem, but I haven't.

She knows how to adjust the motorized dish with the CNX, but getting her into the menu and moving the motor with the CS is a real chore, so I am thinking, Dish(s) to DUO then to the CS then to the TV.

But how is this done?

Thanks for any advise. I'll read in the morning, and if nothing then I'll read again tomorrow when I get home from work.

Night all :)

Photto

Poor Phottette. I woke last night as she was trying to change the receiver from a fixed dish to the motorized dish, she was so frustrated, and I think almost to the point of tears.

I got up (12:30AM) and took the CS5000 off line and replaced it with the DUO. That only took a few minutes, but it sure broke up my sleep.

I have been googling and searching all over Satguys.us looking for a diagram or something to tell me IF I can slave the CS to the DUO, or vice-versa, but haven't found anything in over an hour and a half of searching.

What I would like to know is this.

Using the "LOOP OUT" from the DUO to the LNB in on the CS5000, then to the TV, will this work?

Then do I remove the audio and video from the DUO and put that out from the CS5000 to the TV? Or do I add a seperate set of audio/video to TV input two?

I realize I can't have both receivers on at the same time (or is that true?), so when I blind scan with the CS5000, I write down the info found and manually transfer that to the DUO, is THAT the way this is supposed to work?

Is there another way that I am overlooking?

It would be WAY too expensive to replace all my LNBs with dual outputs, though I AM using the linear/circulat Invacom(sp) so should I just use the second linear output for the CS5000 exclusively and use the DUO to position the dish?

Lots of options seem open, 36 people or so have read my question, I am very surprised that no one has responded (yet).

Thanks to anyone that responds.

Photto

You can slave the Coolsat to the CNX but the Coolsat will only be able to see the same polarity/satellite as the CNX if that receiver is on.
Then do I remove the audio and video from the DUO and put that out from the CS5000 to the TV? Or do I add a seperate set of audio/video to TV input two?
I personally would have 2 sets of a/v plugs set up so you dont have to keep unplugging cables

I realize I can't have both receivers on at the same time (or is that true?), so when I blind scan with the CS5000, I write down the info found and manually transfer that to the DUO, is THAT the way this is supposed to work?
sure you can use both. But the "slaved" unit can only see same polarity as the main. As for the transfering you could do that but unless the DUO has something extra that the Coolsat doesnt have (like HD) why bother transfering?

It would be WAY too expensive to replace all my LNBs with dual outputs, though I AM using the linear/circulat Invacom(sp) so should I just use the second linear output for the CS5000 exclusively and use the DUO to position the dish?
I would do that with the Invacom. Run a line from the L side of the Invacom to the 5000. Then while you watch something on the DUO you can blind scan BOTH polarities of a satellite on the 5000. Works really well when scanning for sports feeds. I can continue to watch a game while scanning that satellite with another receiver

IMO, the root cause is the motor problem.

I don't care for blind scanning through a loop out port. But you might try it with the DUO turned off. If it's on, the coolsat can only see the polarity the DUO has selected.

If your TV has component input, you could use that for one box and RF for the other box.

You could loop the OTA RF too. There are pros and cons... Do you have an OTA antenna?

Yeah, if you can pull another cable, definitely have each receiver on a different LNB port. But, that only works for the dual LNBs..

EDIT: Ice beat me to it....:)

Last edited:
Guapoharry, yeah, he did, didn't he, but I'll comment on your's first then on Tony's input.

The TV has two component inputs, front and rear. I am currently using the rear for the DUO, through a DVD burner. I wanted to keep it that way so I can record when needed, PLUS I have a 1T off board recorder connected to the USB output of the DUO for live pause and recording on the fly, so seperate connections to the TV DOES make sense.

Yes, we have an OTA antenna, it has been a life saver for the CBS feeds, none available anymore for me up there (I think), but here we get two CBS stations through repeaters, one from Las Vegas and one from Phoenix and an hour apart, so if I miss something, I can watch it later, and that is what we use the TV tuner in the DVD recorder for, anything coming in (up til now) could be recorded to a DVD-RW (OTA or dish receiver) or with the 1T off the back of the DUO (dedicated through the USB from the receiver).

Thank you.

Now, Tony, thank you, I sort'a knew you'd respond, you being the KING of Coolsat machines.

The idea of seperate lines to the L side of the Invacom sort of 'hit me' as I was typing this morning, and stuck with me all day. Plus I like the idea of watching one game while blind scanning for another, ya never know what's going to be up there at any given time, and that really makes sense. I think I sort of talked my self into that idea today and was hoping it would work. Now I know.

Thank you both for your help, it'll sure make life more pleasant here for now (till I can afford a new motor anyway).

Photto

(and phottoette says 'thanks' too)

The idea of seperate lines to the L side of the Invacom sort of 'hit me' as I was typing this morning, and stuck with me all day. Plus I like the idea of watching one game while blind scanning for another, ya never know what's going to be up there at any given time, and that really makes sense.

with college sports season just around the corner, that comes in handy having a separate line from the motorized to a blind scan (a GOOD blind scan ;) receiver

Hey, Tony ... thank you. It took me less that 20 minutes to cut a new cable, found some connectors and slapped them on there, composit cable was easy, and hooked it to the input 2 of the TV. Drove the dish with the DUO and scanned the sat(s) and WHOO HEEE it works.

OK, is there a tutorial on resetting this to the newest updates?

It was an eyepatch machine when I got it, all I have done so far is reset it to Factory default settings, and there are a LOT of sats missing.

I am getting good (finally) at using ChannelMaster, so I think I'll be able to handle that.

Where should I look for the wherefors and howtos for resetting the updates? I have the null modum cable, but the DUO uses USB sticks, so this is going to be an experiance. I just can't imagine the eyepatchers having to take this and reset bins on an almost daily basis.

Again, thank you for your help and inspiration. I'm a Coolsat guy now.

Photto

ps ... and phottoette thanks you too, she'll watch TV in a better mood tonight while I'm sleeping.

Hey, Tony ... thank you. It took me less that 20 minutes to cut a new cable, found some connectors and slapped them on there, composit cable was easy, and hooked it to the input 2 of the TV. Drove the dish with the DUO and scanned the sat(s) and WHOO HEEE it works.
sweet. 20 minutes huh? Sometimes it takes me that long to get on the roof :D

OK, is there a tutorial on resetting this to the newest updates?
The Coolsat or the DUO?

Coolsat would be the attached info. The loader, the factory file, then the sat list (freshly made by me from Channelmaster)

edit: too lazy to find the files on computer...Here is a link to both the software
http://www.satelliteguys.us/1915341-post39.html
and the master list and how to load them
http://www.satelliteguys.us/1916661-post42.html

UPDATE: Got the cable at 'the Shack" as they now want to be known, and loaded everything last Wednesday night. I have been having a ball. Thank you Iceberg for all the help, plus the two software updates. And the Master List.

I do have one querstion.

I have ordered a new motor from Sadoun, I called and talked to them, they recomended the correct motor for the dish I have a motor on now, and it's going to be here Wednesday via UPS. That is quicker than they originally thought, told me it wouldn't ship till Tuesday or Wednesday, that was when they were getting their shipment of motors, but this actually went out on Friday, four days earlier than expected. WHOO EEEEE, talk about getting excited. That plus the two new LNBFs will be in that package, and that's my DAYOFF. I get to play !

OK, One question. On the list of satellites you sent me, that Master List for the 5000, is there a way to add more sats? I plan on adding a C Band dish, not that far off in the future. I have one now that I am using with the DUO, but would like to change that and make the 5000 my main receiver. How do I add C Band sats. It looked like the list was full that you sent, and in the past, I have gone to "newsat" and changed the name of that, added the position and moved it to the correct place in the list.

Is there a way to add sats onto that Master List?

Photto

EDIT: DUH, never mind, right click on "Satellite" and go to "add satellite." What could be easier?

Last edited:
also I thought that list had the C-Band stuff after the KU list

also at the end of the list there is a bunch of 0.0E sats that you can use

Really? I hadn't noticed either of those. Lemme look again.

I guess I hadn't seen the C band sats, they ARE there, but I don't see the 0.0E sats. But no matter, as you see, I answered my own question with the right click on Satellites at the top of the list.

Again, thank you.

Since this is a "sort'a" related question, when I get the new motor, shouldn't the setting on the motor be the same as what I already have on the HH90? If so, since that IS tracking perfectly, just running the motor several (hugh) degrees East of where I want it to stop, I should have that up and running in really good time.

I guess I'll cross that bridge Wednesday when it get's here.

Photto

OK, it's Wednesday, and UPS is suposed to be bringing me a new motor and two LNBs. I have the day off, so I will be playing outside today, braving the Arizona Desert heat (110 yesterday) but it will be worth it if this works like I am hoping it will.

Oh, the LNBs will be used, one on the stationary Patriot 1.2m dish so hopefully two sats on one dish, the other on an as yet planted Directway dish, haven't decided yet where to point that. Any good ideas?

So far the 'grotto' has five dishes, the Patriot looking at 123, but we all know what's happening there so far, so time to move that, a .75m (I think) Channel Master looking at 129, the C Band dish, looking at the Carribian mux (for now), and a Dish 500 still looking at NASA and whatever else I can find on 110/119, and today (again) the motor driven 30" will be functioning propperly.

One thing I have discovered, the DUO does take it's time trying to lock in RTV, while the Coolsat seems to lock in as soon as it sees the sat. Really a great little machine.

I don't think I ever mentioned which motor I am getting. I was prepared to buy the DG280, but was told by the nice lady at Sadoun that I needed the DG280B, saving me $10. I still don't know if all I have to do is set the degree setting on the motor the same as what is on the STAB HH90, since the dish elevation is already set, it "should be" just a simple removal and replacement. Is that right?

Thanks again to everyone that added to this thread.

Photto (and Phottoette lurking in the background)

I was prepared to buy the DG280, but was told by the nice lady at Sadoun that I needed the DG280B, saving me $10. I still don't know if all I have to do is set the degree setting on the motor the same as what is on the STAB HH90, since the dish elevation is already set, it "should be" just a simple removal and replacement. Is that right?

Yes, you will need to re-adjust the angle for the dish elevation. Check the video and setup instructions here:
How to install an HH Mount DiSEqC USALS Motor? Applies to DG280, DG280B, DG380, STAB HH100, HH120, Moteck SG2100

Yes, you will need to re-adjust the angle for the dish elevation. Check the video and setup instructions here:
How to install an HH Mount DiSEqC USALS Motor? Applies to DG280, DG280B, DG380, STAB HH100, HH120, Moteck SG2100

Oh, OK (?) So the angle on the DG280B will be DIFFERENT than that on the HH90? What, a differance on the angle of the shaft? OK, I can live with that.

BUMMER, I just checked UPS, and I was looking at the wrong callandar, it'll be delivered tomorrow, so I have to find a way to "entertain" myself till then, plus work tomorrow, then work on this after I get home.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts