Slimline alignment possible w/o meter?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

colbogic

Original poster
Aug 25, 2010
Jacksonville, FL
I've been trying to align my slimline (AU9-S) for a few days now and could easily line up the non-hd satellites (101, 110, 119). However, aligning the 99 and 103 have been basically un-doable thus far. I am wondering if this can be done without a meter or is it next to impossible?

I have been doing the alignment and attempted dither using just the receiver and a tv. I have been able to line up 103ca with 90s and above, also hit some signals (around 70s) on 99s, 101,110, 119 all in high 90s or 100..... but have got nothing but zeros on 99c and 103cb.

With that said, I did the 'dithering' using no meter other than the receiver and am wondering if that is the problem. I have played with the elevation/azimuth fine tuning screws a ton with no luck.

So ultimately what I am asking: is the Ka window so small that a meter like the digisatIII necessary for correct alignment?

Thanks for any help :confused:

I don't think you will see a signal on all the Sats. I live in Carson City, NV. I have no signal on the 99s and 103s. I think you are doing fine.

The 99 and 103 will not show up on a meter. You have to fine tune the dish to pick up those satellites. Basically on each pin there is a bolt with a dial on it. One for elevation the other for azimuth. You have to turn 2 to the left and record that number on meter. Turn back to right til you get to that number again. count your turns. Then zero out the dial and turn back to the left 1/2 the number of turns it took you to the left. so if you go four turns to the right then go back 2 to the left after you zero out dial. must do both on both dials.

To say what others have stated another way:

What channels are you missing? Directv uses various combinations of sats around CONUS and you may not need every transponder on every sat.

Avoid the temptation to screw around with something that ain't broke. Your IRD (receiver) may be working fine with some defect in the internal meter.

Joe

Are your BBC's connected, without them you won't get a signal on the 99 and 103.

You didn't say what recvr your using ...
The H/HR23 is the only ones that don't need the BBC's with the dish you mentioned.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts