slimline paint job

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cave1376

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
Hells waiting room (El Paso,TX)
I have a slimline dish. The Directv slimline logo has faded, it can be seen from the front of the house and I don't like the look of the gray dish and plan to do a custom paint job using House of Kolor paint. I am using automotive grade paint because it resists fading a whole lot more than regular spray paint. I am going to paint the entire dish. Front and rear of the dish, poles, arm and lnb housing with the exception of the white caps on the lnb. I have noticed that all Directv and Dish Network dishes have a rough nongloss reflector surface. Some people told this is because if the reflector had a smooth or glossy finish it would burn the lnb. Others have told me I could sand the reflector smooth but leave the nonglossy finish and the lnb would not be damaged. I know that if the dish has a high gloss finish, it would burn the lnb. I am going to paint the dish with flat, nongloss clear coat. What I don't know is if having a smooth dish surface would burn the lnb, or do I leave the rough surface on the dish and paint over it?

The dish is a reflector like a mirror, it concentrates the signal at the LNB. A shiny smooth surface will collect concentrate and reflect light waves. Do as you please you are the one who is unhappy with current appearances.

The dish is a reflector like a mirror, it concentrates the signal at the LNB. A shiny smooth surface will collect concentrate and reflect light waves. Do as you please you are the one who is unhappy with current appearances.

Hmmmm,
Isn't that what the object of the set up is to do, collect signal and concentrate it to one position ?
You would think if it being smooth would make that happen all the easier, then D* would have done it that way to begin with.

People paint the reflectors all the time.
I would rec. flat paint.

Go for it...just leave the white plastic unpainted.

You get extra points for resisting the urge to do a "happy face" or a flower.

Joe

Go for it...just leave the white plastic unpainted.

You get extra points for resisting the urge to do a "happy face" or a flower.

Joe

my wife decided one christmas that if she had to look at those goudy dishes it was going to be something she liked ... i now have a snowman a santa & a christmas tree...its been about 3 years now....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)