Sling Adapter Reliability

Bent82

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 23, 2008
Upper Peninsula Of Michigan
So are these things incredibly fragile or is it just my luck? I purchased one back in January and used it a few times. Worked great until I tried to connect a few weeks ago, I was getting Error 31. Turns out the adapter had fried, the light wasn't even coming on. No big deal, it was under warranty and dish sent another one to me. Got it, hooked it up, and tested it, it was working great. This was only two weeks ago. Today I went to use it for the first time, and I am again getting Error 31. Had my wife look at the adapter and she said there is no light. So it appears it is AGAIN fried. Are these devices known as fragile, or should I be looking for another reason why this keeps happening?

Last edited:
Good grief! I've heard of a few that were DOA, but none that worked for awhile and then crapped out. Mine has been running fine since I bought it on the 1st day it was released.

So are these things incredibly fragile or is it just my luck? I purchased one back in January and used it a few times. Worked great until I tried to connect a few weeks ago, I was getting Error 31. Turns out the adapter had fried, the light wasn't even coming on. No big deal, it was under warranty and dish sent another one to me. Got it, hooked it up, and tested it, it was working great. This was only two weeks ago. Today I went to use it for the first time, and I am again getting Error 31. Had my wife look at the adapter and she said there is no light. So it appears it is AGAIN fried. Are these devices known as fragile, or should I be looking for another reason why this keeps happening?

Do you have plenty of ventilation to keep it cool?

ours died after not being used since last season. found out just before the start of the season and Matt took care of it right away.

I have been using one for more then 1 year now without any problem. I have connected it to the back side usb port & is placed on teh top of my 722k. I dont use it every day though (dont know if that is the reason it has survived this long)

I have the same issue, no light and error 31.

Did you call Dish directly to get a replacement or did you go through someone on the DIRT team?

Mine was purchased in March 2012, so it should still be under warranty I think.

I have the same issue, no light and error 31.

Did you call Dish directly to get a replacement or did you go through someone on the DIRT team?

Mine was purchased in March 2012, so it should still be under warranty I think.

I chatted with Dish the first time, it was very simple, and they were helpful, just made me check a few things. Not sure what they will be like the second time though.

I have used one since they first came out and have never had an issues. It's in a cabinet (ventilated), on top of my Dish Hopper and under my Blu-Ray player. We live in the country and don't have the cleanest power, although all of my equipment is plugged into a power conditioner.

Me too! I just got mine about 3 weeks ago. It worked fine at first, but stopped working 2 weeks ago. On top of that, I'm having all kinds of problems with my previously working Sling Pro-HD on a separate TV. Sling is a mess right now.

This time the chat agent determined that my receiver was faulty, since the sling adapter is still detected by a computer. I will receive a replacement next week. So maybe it was unfair to blame the reliability of the adapter. I hate to get rid of my current receiver, as it has been going strong for 4 years now, but hopefully I won't have problems.

UPDATE: So thinking about what the agent had told me, I really didn't think both USB ports could have gone bad on my receiver at the same time. So I kept trying things until I tried a hard reset. The sling adapter now works fine. So now that they are already sending the receiver, I would rather not replace mine, so hopefully I can refuse shipment.

UPDATE 2: And it's out again. Whatever, guess I am too quick on posting these updates. Guess I will have to go with the replacement.

Last edited:
This time the chat agent determined that my receiver was faulty, since the sling adapter is still detected by a computer.

I think this is the first time we have heard of a "PC test" being used to determine that the Sling Adapter was working. Sure wish there were PC software to run the thing. I even more surely wish there were a Sling Receiver! <sigh>

I think this is the first time we have heard of a "PC test" being used to determine that the Sling Adapter was working. Sure wish there were PC software to run the thing. I even more surely wish there were a Sling Receiver! <sigh>

Yeah the first time it went bad the agent didn't have me try that. He was right though, since I can still get it to work for a few minutes after a hard reset.

So after getting the replacement receiver set up, the problem with the sling adapter still persists. So I guess it was the adapter all along. It is still detected in the computer, but it won't even get detected anymore. So dish is sending me out another replacement. I hope this one actually works.

I am having the exact same problem. Dish has sent me a replacement sling adapter, it worked for about 1 day and then stopped working with no light on it. I plug it in a pc an it gets detected. Dish then replaced my receiver. Receiver works fine but same issue with the replacement sling adapter, no light on it but it does get detected when plugged into a pc. Not sure what is going up but these sling adapters are pretty much a paper weight.

Let me know how it works out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)