Sling Adaptor Field Reviews

You are right. I had not tried viewing on tv1 (assume you meant view on tv1) and recording at the same time but I think what is happening is that we both have our dish boxes so that by default they record on tv2 unless it's already recording something. Then the SA uses tv2 so that you are basically sitting in front of tv2 when viewing the sling adapter.. Then when you watch the same broadcast on tv1 you are simply watching it on both tv's and recording on tv2. If you then try to change the channel on tv2/sling it wants to stop the recording on tv2. You'd probably have to go set the default recording channel to tv1 in the settings in the Record Plus on the dish box...if you want to watch and record and change the channels on the sling. But if you do that you will always have to watch what you are recording on tv1. Does that help?

Yeah the problem I can see with Dual mode is recording 2 consecutive recordings lets say I have this:
Setting to record 1 minute before and 3 minutes after
Show 1 3:00 - 3:30 uses Tv2 - 34 total minutes
Show 2 3:30 -4:00 uses Tv1 to get the 34 total minutes

On Single I can be watching another channel during this entire hour of recording, it just switches to the free tuner when needed.
On Dual I can watch on Tv1 during the first recording, then when the second one starts I am locked in to the recording on Tv1. I can't take over the Tv2 tuner to use on Tv1 even though it is done recording.

Since when I use the SA I am not usually viewing Tv1, I will just switch it over to Dual when I think I might use the SA. I would leave it in Single but one of the issues is you can't control the recording priority on Single, it is defaulted and stuck on TV2. So when there is a recording and the SA switches the receiver to Dual, its screwed by the default Tv2 recording. If the default was TV1 in single it wouldn't matter since Single will use the free tuner. And then the SA wouldn't get blocked by the recording. dish told me I could change this in Single, but you can't and the manual also says you can't.

Update on servers? My 722 is still on L671, and my Android app is still at the original unless it updated without asking.... Anyhow, I can now play back OTA recordings on my Android phone just like satellite recordings. Attempting to do so before resulted in playing of the TV2 "live" program, while the OTA recording started playing on TV1.

Just spent the last 10 minutes unsuccessfully trying to figure out the version number of the Dish Remote Access app currently installed. Do you know how to do this?

Thank you. (Stupid nearly invisible scrollbar!) Mine's the same version, running on a Samsung Behold 2 on Android 1.6. I have a 722.

Menu->More->About. At the bottom
My version is 1.0.0.1

Same here, on my Droid X. Appbrain show no change since I installed it on Nov 22nd.

I really like the App, but operation is really erratic and unpredictable. I've seen an array of problems, that come and go - right now I'm getting "Request Failed - error unknown" every time I open it. I've done a power recycle, but it's still failing solid. I had this problem the first day after I got the adapter, and it just magically went away the next day. At the same time, things look comparatively stable via the browser, but not always 100% solid there either. I just keep hoping that all of the instability is due to a single bug that will be fixed, soon. If this all can be stabilized, it can be a killer product, but it's really frustrating me right now.

I've seen all of the same problems with 722s on L671 and L672.

I installed my Dish Sling Adaptor today and encountered a couple of problems.

I can watch pre-recorded shows and 'live' TV fine on my iPhone but can only watch 'live' programming on my lap top and computer.

Whenever I login to Dishonline and click a program from my DVR, all I'm showing is 'live' TV, not the pre-recorded show. Seems like a bug.

Anyone else having this issue?

I can watch pre-recorded shows and 'live' TV fine on my iPhone but can only watch 'live' programming on my lap top and computer.

Whenever I login to Dishonline and click a program from my DVR, all I'm showing is 'live' TV, not the pre-recorded show. Seems like a bug.

I think you'll find that there isn't any absolute rule about how an Adapter to device connection will behave on any given connection. Logging into it from the mobile or computer may or may not properly connect at first to either the live or recorded programming, but I've usually been able to get what I'm after by exiting and relogging in until I am successful. It's really quirky, but it seems to me it is getting slightly more reliable with each passing day. I'm hoping that Sling/Dish are working furiously to clean this all up, and that we will all enjoy a solid, reliable product in the end.

See if the prerecorded programs you want to watch are in a folder. Those I could not open and play. Those not in a folder on the hard drive were available to play. This is a bug on the web site they will probably fix. In fact you can't even see the list of programs in the folder.

See if the prerecorded programs you want to watch are in a folder. Those I could not open and play. Those not in a folder on the hard drive were available to play. This is a bug on the web site they will probably fix. In fact you can't even see the list of programs in the folder.

Interesting. I'm not experiencing the problem of seeing and opening recordings inside folders, either on my Droid X or laptop. Granted, I only have one folder, with two recordings, since I'm using a replacement 722 that I just installed last week. Also, it's on level L672, which could be the reason for the difference.

Ordered my adapter this past weekend which was shipped UPS 2nd day air on Monday ... which should mean delivery today. Well, maybe.

Current routing of my package on its way to just South of Cleveland, OH, as noted by UPS online tracking:
COMMERCE CITY, CO, US >> BILLINGS, MT, US >> OMAHA, NE, US >> LOUISVILLE, KY, US >> ALBUQUERQUE, NM, US >> LAS VEGAS, NV, US >> And will you look at this. It's back in LOUISVILLE, KY, US.

Somehow my confidence of finding a package on my doorstep at 5:30 EST today is not too high.

I have a droid x running 2.2 and am hooked up to a 720K in dual mode. If I select something from the DVR or from the program guide and select watch on my phone it does not matter it plays whatever the last channel I was watching on my phone was. I can then go in and change the channel from that point but do not know how to access DVR content. Is this a bug or do I have to set something up differently?

I have a droid x running 2.2 and am hooked up to a 720K in dual mode. If I select something from the DVR or from the program guide and select watch on my phone it does not matter it plays whatever the last channel I was watching on my phone was. I can then go in and change the channel from that point but do not know how to access DVR content. Is this a bug or do I have to set something up differently?

That behavior has been there for me, too, and I've had the most success by backing out of the App and logging in again, sometimes several times in order to get the switchover to take place. I don't think the problem is due to anything we're doing wrong. It really looks like a bug, or several bugs in the code. I've had similar results working from a PC browser, but not quite as frequently.

So I tested a Zotac Intel Atom based nettop with my sling adapter running 5-8mb/s in HD. It works well. All 4 cores run at 85-90% so I'm thinking this hardware in this config can just barely handle it.
This particular nettop has 2 gig memory, atom 1.66, nvidia ion integrated gpu.

Thank you for this post. I waylayed a Shuttle X27D to see if it could do HD, and the bottom line is, "it can't". Stutters horribly on DRA for my 722 w/Sling Adapter. It has an Atom 330 which apparently has 2 fewer cores than your Zotac. Plus your Ion graphics adapter is much stronger than my Intel 945GC chipset for HD video. Do you know which Atom you have inside the Zotac? I'm thinking that it might make a good Slingcatcher. ;)

This Zotac box is the Atom N330. 1.66 dual core with hyperthreading. So it shows up as 4 cores in the OS.
I think the key is the offloading of video processing to the GPU. And the nvidia ION does much better than the Intel 9 series chipset.
I have the Zotac HD-ND01-U
Its $261 on Amazon right now. Also does a good job running XBMC.

So far my Sling Adapter seems to be working fine as far as watching TV goes. I'm able to stream to PCs within the house over our wired network and the video looks pretty damn good. I'm able to watch on my Droid X both on my home wifi and over Verizon's 3g network, and that also seems to work pretty well. Like others have reported already I'm not able to watch recorded shows on my phone...only live TV.

I do have one annoying issue though. After disconnecting from my remote session the DVR resets back into single mode, but all I get on my TV screen is a grey screen. I can still hear audio, and the weirdest thing is that I can still see any graphics displayed by the DVR, such as show information and the guide. I just can't see the actual program.

Is anyone else seeing anything like that? I've actually had to reboot the DVR twice just to get video back.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts