Sling Adaptor Field Reviews

I installed my Dish Sling Adaptor today and encountered a couple of problems.

I can watch pre-recorded shows and 'live' TV fine on my iPhone but can only watch 'live' programming on my lap top and computer.

Whenever I login to Dishonline and click a program from my DVR, all I'm showing is 'live' TV, not the pre-recorded show. Seems like a bug.

Anyone else having this issue?

I'm having a reverse problem to the one you describe. I can watch previously recorded shows or live TV from the web site, but the iPhone app will only play live TV. It shows all my recorded programs, but when I try to play one on the iPhone it just plays TV2's feed.

Yes, I believe that is exactly what he is saying.

BTW - I attempted to get At-large Recorder 2.0 to "see" my Sling Adapter, and it won't. Applian says all Slingboxes from the Pro HD onward are incompatible. :( Surprisingly enough, the SlingPlayer 1.5.1.338 does see and show the low res stream from my Sling Adapter. On XP or Vista, the SlngPlayer 2.0.3.3508 does show better quality streams on the local LAN, but I'm not sure it is actually showing HD or not. I haven't been able to get 2.0.3.3508 to install on my W7 64-bit HTPC.

Last edited:
I've got a 722 and am trying to decide between upgrading to a 922 and getting a Sling Adapter. I've seen arguments for both here but a couple of points need clarification:

1. Does the 922 now allow TV2 output to a second SD TV (as one poster mentioned in this thread)? I hadn't heard this before and there's no indication of this on the Dish site so it would be nice to hear confirmation from others.

2. Can someone explain clearly how the Sling Adapter + 722 handles TV1 and TV2? Does it basically take over TV2 when being watched remotely through a laptop or iPhone?

3. I see there is the ability to order the Sling Adapter directly through Dish for $99. Has anyone gotten a discount (loyalty or otherwise) ordering via phone through Dish?

Thanks!

1) I don't have a 922 but my understanding from many threads and Scott's release notes is that the 922 is now a Duo receiver.

2) The Sling Adapter takes over TV2 when in use and a warning screen pops up on the TV2 outputs. You don't get to see a mirror of the video you're watching via Sling Adapter. But you can take back control over TV2 with the remote, the last time I checked.

3) Don't know; I paid the $99.

I'm having a reverse problem to the one you describe. I can watch previously recorded shows or live TV from the web site, but the iPhone app will only play live TV. It shows all my recorded programs, but when I try to play one on the iPhone it just plays TV2's feed.

Ran into the same problem while hooking up my brothers new Sling Adapter last night. Everything worked fine through the website, but could only get live TV on his DroidX, even when I selected one of his recordings. Anyone else experiencing this?

Last edited:
Ran into the same problem while hooking up my brothers new Sling Adapter last night. Everything worked fine through the website, but could only get live TV on his DroidX, even when I selected one of his recordings. Anyone else experiencing this?

Yes, I've been having a bad time with the Android app for the last day or two. I am connecting fully with the DVR, according to the Green indicator, and I can access live programming via the Grid, but I can't get to any recordings on the DVR. I can't even see the list of recordings - I keep getting an error message every time - "Request Failed - error unknown". Ironic that I had this error condition on the first day after I got the Sling Adapter, and I haven't seen it since, up til now. I have a new Linksys E3000 Router coming tomorrow to replace my Belkin n+, and I'm hoping it will help to improve stability on the SA. I getting a bit frustrated with this. In the meantime, I may try clearing data on the app, and if that fails, reinstalling the app.

Update - I Power cycled the Droid X, cleared the Dish app data, removed and reinstalled the app in that order. None of those things helped.
Update 2 - I installed the Dish Remote App on my old 3g iphone, and tested it. It worked OK for recorded and live material. When I exited and returned to the Droid X, the problem is still there. Hmmmm

Last edited:
vicw said:
Surprised to see 4 days elapse from the lasting posting. I don't know if that's good news, that everyone is happy, or bad news in that too few people are interested in the product. Hope it's the first possibility.

While performance of the Sling Adapter seems to be improving over time, there is still one thing that I experience which is somewhat annoying and time consuming. That is the necessity of multiple logins 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 in order for me to get full functionality and connection to my adapter. Once fully connected, everything is reasonably stable. I would like to hear from others if that is a normal scenario for you, and especially if you NEVER has that problem, and are always successful with your first login. If anyone is that successful, or not, I'd really like to know what kind of setup you have, especially router, wired vs. Wi-Fi and ISP.

In my case, I'm using a Belkin N+ router, with 2 722's, with a single Sling Adapter on one of them. Both 722's are hardwired to the router, and on Reserved IP addresses, and I'm using TWC/Roadrunner.

Using the Sling adapter with my Droid 1 takes several times to successfully log on. No problem from my computer.

Using the Sling adapter with my Droid 1 takes several times to successfully log on. No problem from my computer.

Currently, even with multiple logons, are you then able to get the Droid 1 to perform all functions properly with the Sling Adapter? For the last couple of days, I can't get to recorded materials at all, and get errors repeatedly as I indicated on my last entry.

I've been going back and forth this afternoon and evening between the PC, iPhone and Droid X. The PC and iPhone are working normally, but the problems with the Droid X continue. It seems to me there has to be a problem with the server that handles Android traffic, since the apps on the phones haven't changed at all, and other devices work normally. I wonder who to call or contact at Dish or Sling to get them to deal with it, and fix it? Do you think the regular service people would have a clue, or insist that we go through power cycling the DVR's, running switch tests, etc.

Last edited:
Nothing really new to add here except to note that my brother continued to have the same problem on his DroidX throughout the day today (can connect to live TV, but can't access recordings). I wonder if this is affecting all Android-based phones, or perhaps just Verizon and/or the DroidX for some reason. My Sling Adapter should be here tomorrow...will be interesting to see if the app behaves any different on my Evo.

I wonder if this is affecting all Android-based phones, or perhaps just Verizon and/or the DroidX for some reason.
Works fine on my local LAN (after 2 logins) using a Samsung Behold 2 running Android 1.6 without a SIM card.

My Droid X starting working with the SA late last night, after a couple of days of inability to list or play recorded material.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Hi All,

Brand new here. Thanks for such a valuable resource.

I ordered my Sling adapter yesterday afternoon, and received it by 10AM this morning. I'm in Denver, but that's still pretty cool. Install took less than 5 seconds.

2 issues, hoping you can help.

1) I cannot figure out how to adjust the video quality in the iphone app. I read a review that says it looks the best if you set to "better" mode, but I can't find the option anywhere! Can you help?

2) I can't play DVR shows on my iphone. No problem with live tv, changing channels, etc. I read on this forum that you need to set your box to Dual Mode, and it will work. I tried (I think), but no luck. Any suggestions?

Thanks again!

Hi All,

Brand new here. Thanks for such a valuable resource.

I ordered my Sling adapter yesterday afternoon, and received it by 10AM this morning. I'm in Denver, but that's still pretty cool. Install took less than 5 seconds.

2 issues, hoping you can help.

1) I cannot figure out how to adjust the video quality in the iphone app. I read a review that says it looks the best if you set to "better" mode, but I can't find the option anywhere! Can you help?

2) I can't play DVR shows on my iphone. No problem with live tv, changing channels, etc. I read on this forum that you need to set your box to Dual Mode, and it will work. I tried (I think), but no luck. Any suggestions?

Thanks again!

Welcome to the board, and to the Sling Adapter. Regarding your first question, the video quality settings are just for browser use, there isn't one for mobiles, at least I don't see any selections for it on the iPhone or my Droid X.

I just started my iPhone, and was able to play recordings on the first attempt. This condition comes and goes for the Android, and I guess for the iPhone as well, based on your comment. Operation, in general, is good but quirky.

I'm convinced there are server, or remote programming issues that cause the variations in performance from time to time and day to day that we are seeing. My Android was doing exactly the same thing as your iPhone is doing today, until late last night.

I'm just trying to continue to be patient that stability will continue to improve. It already has gotten better, in my opinion

My Sling Adapter arrived around December 8th. It worked great for about 2 or 3 days on my Android devices over WiFi, and home and work laptops in both IE and Firefox. Fast, high quality video over my 25 Mbit Verizon Fiber connection. Then it just stopped playing video either over LAN or remote/Internet. I could still get the "Connected" status in the video playback screen, but it remained black screen with various unable to connect error messages after about a minute. Tested daily on multiple Android devices and web browsers and PC's and a MacBook. I did not change anything on my end to cause it to stop working. I did notice there is no red light on the Sling logo. I have been told there should be a red light, but not sure it was on when it was working either.

Also, each time I plug in the Sling Adapter into the USB port, my VIP 722k still prompts me to say the Sling Adapter has been attached and I can now go watch my video anywhere etc. However, it never works.

Long story short, I spent about 2 weeks with Dish Network tech support on the issue. No luck, and most of their tech support does not even know what the device is yet. I had to explain it to them and send a link in some cases. Second or third level tech support could only create problem reports but offered no follow up or issue status checking ability for me. Luckily I was able to successfully negotiate a return after producing the the "30-day return" policy clearly stated in my purchase receipt under "My Shipments" on dishnetwork.com.

So despite trying everything, manually configuring various router port 5101 and 5001 forwarding, buying a 50 ft LAN cable etc. I could never get it to work again. I was not impressed with the support either. So the return was my best choice.

I might try again in six months if it proves to be a reliable device for others. By then Dish Network should know how to support it I presume. After all, Dish Network owns Sling now through a subsidiary... For now I recommend staying away. I suspect the hardware will be revised again soon. And who knows if future VIP 722k software updates would have fixed my problem. All this happened to me on version L680 722k software. Not sure if there was a software update on my receiver between the time I first setup the Sling Adapter and when it stopped working...

Please post long term reliability reports if the Sling works for you consistently. I'm not interested in Sling unless it works 99% of the time without question and can play two hour movies without disruption.

I got my new sling adapter last night. It works fine with the 722k. I had the 922 before and it never NEVER reliably worked at all, so I traded it in for a 722k . This adapter plugged in and I got an instant hd picture over my computer. The only problem I have seen ,is that my recordings at the time on tv 2 were cut into about 4 or 5 little recordings when I was slinging.

My Sling Adapter arrived around December 8th. It worked great for about 2 or 3 days on my Android devices over WiFi, and home and work laptops in both IE and Firefox. Fast, high quality video over my 25 Mbit Verizon Fiber connection. Then it just stopped playing video either over LAN or remote/Internet. I could still get the "Connected" status in the video playback screen, but it remained black screen with various unable to connect error messages after about a minute. Tested daily on multiple Android devices and web browsers and PC's and a MacBook. I did not change anything on my end to cause it to stop working. I did notice there is no red light on the Sling logo. I have been told there should be a red light, but not sure it was on when it was working either.

Also, each time I plug in the Sling Adapter into the USB port, my VIP 722k still prompts me to say the Sling Adapter has been attached and I can now go watch my video anywhere etc. However, it never works.

Long story short, I spent about 2 weeks with Dish Network tech support on the issue. No luck, and most of their tech support does not even know what the device is yet. I had to explain it to them and send a link in some cases. Second or third level tech support could only create problem reports but offered no follow up or issue status checking ability for me. Luckily I was able to successfully negotiate a return after producing the the "30-day return" policy clearly stated in my purchase receipt under "My Shipments" on dishnetwork.com.

So despite trying everything, manually configuring various router port 5101 and 5001 forwarding, buying a 50 ft LAN cable etc. I could never get it to work again. I was not impressed with the support either. So the return was my best choice.

I might try again in six months if it proves to be a reliable device for others. By then Dish Network should know how to support it I presume. After all, Dish Network owns Sling now through a subsidiary... For now I recommend staying away. I suspect the hardware will be revised again soon. And who knows if future VIP 722k software updates would have fixed my problem. All this happened to me on version L680 722k software. Not sure if there was a software update on my receiver between the time I first setup the Sling Adapter and when it stopped working...

Please post long term reliability reports if the Sling works for you consistently. I'm not interested in Sling unless it works 99% of the time without question and can play two hour movies without disruption.

I'm really sorry you had this bad experience with the SA, and that Dish seemed to be so poorly prepared to help you resolve it in a more constructive way. It confirms my expectations that the support folks won't have a clue in dealing with problems with it, given its theoretical "plug-and-play" design, and the small numbers of users (presumably). I'm not optimistic they ever will.

What I really don't understand is why it never occurred to them to suggest a replacement unit, especially since yours worked for you for a short time. There will be small percentages of early failures for any complex, mass produced product, and this is most likely one of them, so a replacement unit would have been the obvious choice. The lack of the red light indication should have been a flag to them that the unit was most likely just defective. Too bad you didn't get on this site earlier - someone here should have been able to give you some help in comparing your operation with functional units. My last choice would be to suffer along with Dish support all of that time, given their apparent lack of understanding of the product.

I'm not sure they will ever get this product to a 99% fully operating level no every session. There are just too many variables and dependencies that may cause disruptions or interruptions of service, but they are making progress with it, I think. I'll be happy with 90%, and I think that is achievable. The capabilities it provides are so unique and useful to me that I can accept a bit of quirkiness from time to time.

I'm still having the problem of not being able to connect to my Android Motorlola Cliq XT by 3G. I can connect to my Sling Adapter on any pc and my I Touch by Wi Fi. I can connect to it by 3G with my girlfriend's I Phone but just not my phone. the error message given is to connect to the net. So when the salesman at T Mobile sees this he claims I need to reset my router and my wirelsss connections. I did but if that was the problem it wouldn't work by WiFi which it does. I'd like to and want to talk them into letting me install it on anothe one of their phones to see if it's the app or my phone. I do agree with him that it connects all the way to the point of seeing my deivce and acquirng th eunit. It goes through every step except optimizing. You just get a blank screen.

Do you think i'm barking up the wrong ree by talking to T Mobile and I should be on he phone with E*?

Ron

I'm still having the problem of not being able to connect to my Android Motorlola Cliq XT by 3G. I can connect to my Sling Adapter on any pc and my I Touch by Wi Fi. I can connect to it by 3G with my girlfriend's I Phone but just not my phone. the error message given is to connect to the net. So when the salesman at T Mobile sees this he claims I need to reset my router and my wirelsss connections. I did but if that was the problem it wouldn't work by WiFi which it does. I'd like to and want to talk them into letting me install it on anothe one of their phones to see if it's the app or my phone. I do agree with him that it connects all the way to the point of seeing my deivce and acquirng th eunit. It goes through every step except optimizing. You just get a blank screen.

Do you think i'm barking up the wrong ree by talking to T Mobile and I should be on he phone with E*?

Ron

It seems to me that the iPhone working with it via 3g pretty much rules out the local setup and configuration as suspect. I have a Droid X, along with an iPhone, and I had a similar situation just within the last couple of days, whereby the iPhone app worked fine, but I could get only live programming on the Droid. The problem was resolved on Wednesday night without me doing anything, and I concluded that it was a Dish/Sling server issue, and that they resolved it, at least for now.

Has it been that way for an extended time, and did it ever work properly for you? If it has worked before, and just recently started having the problem, I think I would just wait it out a day or two. If it hasn't ever worked over a longer time, I think your idea of installing the app on one of T-mobile's Cliq XT phones would be the easiest quick path to isolating the problem. I assume you haven't asked them yet, and I can't imagine why they wouldn't accommodate you. Maybe a kind soul on thus forum, who also uses the Cliq XT with a Sling Adapter could chime in with his current experiences.

My very last choice would be to contact E*, but I wouldn't expect too much from them, based on a posting here today from a very unhappy former SA user.

I know my phone isn't identical to yours, but it still uses the Android app, and FWIW, my Droid X is working properly today with the SA, locally, and via 3g. Good Luck.

To answer your questions.At one time for a few weeks my phone was able to connect with 3g.Just stopped one day.I agree about the the 3g working on my girl friend's phone.He claimed with the more powerful cpu on the I phone it could work there and not mine.

I did ask him to do it on his phone and he wasn't comfortable with that.He seemed willing if I came back to try on a phone from stock.Will stop by next week to try.
I'm running out of ideas.

Ron

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)