Sling extender

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
This is a fair Question and one I think deserves an Honest answer from Dish or one of the Dirt members. Over a year and a half ago now when I hear this product announced It was everything I wanted. While the major thing was that it made the TV 2 out of a 922 HD or made the TV 2 of a 722k Hd it had other features I just loved. The extender was designed to me mounted behind the tv. I mounted the tv in my bedroom on the wall and ran a Cat6 gigabit network connection behind the TV and to my 922 in my living room just for this device. I loved the fact I would have no wires on the wall.
Here were are now over a year later and this product is still not released. I have now had an HD TV in my bedroom for over a year that I have yet to watch a single show on in HD. I would still like to have this product but if it is not ever going to be released it would be really nice if Dish would just say that so I could find another method of getting HD on my second TV instead of waiting for a product that will never come.

I'm sorry but I just have to ask, what happened to the sling extender?? Will we ever see it?

close your eyes what do you see??? easy fix that you will never see? Google TV with support for Google Chrome....But they wouldnt make money on that now would they?!!!

I think we would have seen it by now. So I would guess its a no go with the whole house dvr in the works.

It is starting to appear that the plug has been pulled on the project.

A number of beta testers have told me that the project was scrapped because of issues using it with a 722 and a Sling adapter.

Hope this is not true, but I haven't seen anything out there that proves this wrong.

I'm shocked. SHOCKED! (I really am, and that's no gamble.) I did not waste $99 on a Sling Adapter so that I could watch movies on my PC. :p

I also paid the $99 in hopes for the sling extender. I occasionally use it with my iPad. I gave up on the extender a couple of months ago and bought a VIP 211k for the bedroom, planing on getting a tailgater in the spring so I guess it sort of works out.

It is starting to appear that the plug has been pulled on the project.

A number of beta testers have told me that the project was scrapped because of issues using it with a 722 and a Sling adapter.

Hope this is not true, but I haven't seen anything out there that proves this wrong.
I am not surprised. Although if it worked just fine with a 922, they still could have released it and said it'll only work with the 922. It's still a better solution than nothing at all and it would give us subs a legitimate reason to upgrade to a 922.

I am not surprised. Although if it worked just fine with a 922, they still could have released it and said it'll only work with the 922. It's still a better solution than nothing at all and it would give us subs a legitimate reason to upgrade to a 922.
amen :)

If GoggleTV works instead, then perhaps we don't care? Can't imagine the Sling Extender going for $100...

Android app for GoogleTV, or Chrome support, or a Roku Channel, or a SmarTV app for Sony, Panasonic, Samsung, Vizio, et al or....

They could provide many ways for us to stream to a TV, easily and cheaply. But, the key word is CHEAPLY. How are they gonna ding you for as much as $17 for another receiver if you can watch programming from one DVR in every room in your house in HD? (I still can't believe the titanium balls they have to charge $17 for a 2nd DVR.)

If they aren't going to release the sling extender they better make it able to use a google revue unit to do the same thing. Then it would make since to charge $4.00 extra to integrate it. The whole reason I wanted the 922 was so the sling extender could do HD on tv 2. Now the final insult to my 922 experience is complete. No sling extender either. This proves to me the 922 was an orphan receiver with no future. Total failure just like the 721/921 pvrs turned out to be.

Actually, I had a 721. And, it was a pretty good DVR in its day, after they got the bugs out. (They were already squashed before I bought it.) They never did get the bugs out if the 921, though.
I had three of the 721s before the 921 and each and every one of them went out and the hard drive failed and had to be replaced. Some of them multiple times and lost all the recordings. Liked the idea of the 721 dvr and the Linux software, but it was so antiquated compared to the 622/722/722k Vips. Before name based recording came along all of the older pvrs and dvrs were just digital vcrs. The 921 pvr had to be plugged into a surge protector with a on /off switch that I had to flip daily to get my pvr to reboot and record everything it was supposed to. I had to babysit that box and got tired of it quickly.

I had three of the 721s before the 921 and each and every one of them went out and the hard drive failed and had to be replaced. Some of them multiple times and lost all the recordings. Liked the idea of the 721 dvr and the Linux software, but it was so antiquated compared to the 622/722/722k Vips. Before name based recording came along all of the older pvrs and dvrs were just digital vcrs. The 921 pvr had to be plugged into a surge protector with a on /off switch that I had to flip daily to get my pvr to reboot and record everything it was supposed to. I had to babysit that box and got tired of it quickly.
I think all those receivers you mention in your post run Linux. I don't understand why you keep singling out the 721 as specifically running Linux being a bad thing when the entire VIP line also does.

I think all those receivers you mention in your post run Linux. I don't understand why you keep singling out the 721 as specifically running Linux being a bad thing when the entire VIP line also does.

I am not trying to single it out , only to say that this was the first in the line of receivers that ran Linux. I wasn't even aware that the Vip series ran on Linux too. My point wasn't the software, but the bugginess of the 721/921 pvrs and that they were discontinued and that the guides, menus and the general way they looked, with Home menu, etc ,are now gone too. They ended this entire class of receivers and started all over again with the 522 , then 622/722/722k Vip receivers.

If they aren't going to release the sling extender they better make it able to use a google revue unit to do the same thing. Then it would make since to charge $4.00 extra to integrate it. The whole reason I wanted the 922 was so the sling extender could do HD on tv 2. Now the final insult to my 922 experience is complete. No sling extender either. This proves to me the 922 was an orphan receiver with no future. Total failure just like the 721/921 pvrs turned out to be.

I was reading a bit about the Google TV Revue but am confused if it really could be used like a Sling Extender, anyone know??

I was reading a bit about the Google TV Revue but am confused if it really could be used like a Sling Extender, anyone know??

There is a thread with a video demo of a googletv sling app. It looks impressive, but was obviously using a slingbox and not a 922 or adapter. Since the 922 and adapter don't sling the menus and overlays they would have to re-create at least a sub set of the menu and guide functionality in software.

They've already done some of that with DishOnline, but can you imagine trying to navigate the dishonline guide, etc with a remote? No doubt it can be done, hopefully they have the will too it well.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)