Sling TV

Ronnie-

Member of the Year
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Aug 28, 2007
mississippi
Well, we have a rolling discussion going in the dish forum concerning this product so I figured it was time to start a thread here.

Several of us now have Sling TV activated with the invite, so let's discuss it. Likes and dislikes.

Things that they have done right and what we would like to see changed.

Reactions: fhsucade07
I probably won't keep it past the week trial but if FS1 is added into it somewhere by next fall for football. I would drop regular Sat service and just use this during football and have OTA the rest of the time.

So far I've used it on a roku 3, stick, and HD, with the pq being equal among them.

I've also used it on my phone and surface pro 3 and venue 8 pro. With the smaller screens the pq is fine, if I were to extend them to a monitor, who knows. I'll check that soon.

The one stream issue is a workable problem for us. The bigger issue with that is as I stated in the other thread, the fact that they don't alert you that its being changed or that someone else is using the stream. Its just off if you are the one that's watching first.

PQ has gotten better. At first Disney Jr. Was on par with SD. Now it looks very close to HD along with the other channels. So now time to cancel Dish and put the Roku 3 where the Hopper is.

Sling TV is a new over the top (internet) TV service.

Do you mean a post or thread?

In case anyone is interested. I am able to access WatchESPN using my Sling TV login credentials to authenticate. However, I have been unable to do the same for CNN.
Yeah looks like Sling TV is a choice for provider on Watch ESPN. Doesn't look like it applies to Watch Disney. I hope they roll it out at some point. I think thier focus was getting in the Watch ESPN system which is pretty big to offer a second stream.

Yeah looks like Sling TV is a choice for provider on Watch ESPN. Doesn't look like it applies to Watch Disney. I hope they roll it out at some point. I think thier focus was getting in the Watch ESPN system which is pretty big to offer a second stream.
I had read, but have not verified by trying, that it could not be used as a second stream. Is that not the case?

I checked, and sure enough it worked.

I loaded watch ESPN on my tablet with sling credentials and fired it up.

Then I went to my phone and started the sling TV app.

Had both on ESPN and left them running for 10 minutes. Both played without stopping.

Sure enjoying it thus far. I am watching on a 50 inch LED TV... good quality picture (in HD) for everything I watch regularly (HGTV, Food, etc). This is well worth the money, for sure. I am thrilled.

My brother got his activated and it looks brilliant on a 55 inch set. I noticed when he first started it up it was a bit "grainy" in picture but very quickly went up to HD quality. They, of course, have the basic package at $20 and the Kids and Sports add-on. I think $30 for the channels he gets is an excellent deal - it reminds me of Canada with a mandatory core package and the option to add several mini packs. While the kids were watching Disney we booted up Watch ESPN in the basement with no quality problems. I was surprised to see Galavision and El Ray so the core count is at 13 (counting Cartoon and Adult Swim as one).

I am excited by this and find it quite tempting in all honesty. They also have WWE Network and MLB.TV as do I and that would make a nice complement to this package though I wish you could access it all from one app. I don't look to see RSN's added anytime soon unless it is like Pac-12 and B10.

With the addition of Universal Sports (and is Bein owned by NBC?), I'd love to see NBCSN added at least for the second half of the NASCAR season for the Chase. All that said, I'm intrigued by what I saw and might soon at least sign up for the preview to see what I can do at my own home. Also been enjoying reading the experiences of so many others! Sorry for the multiple likes to many of your posts!!

Sure enjoying it thus far. I am watching on a 50 inch LED TV... good quality picture (in HD) for everything I watch regularly (HGTV, Food, etc). This is well worth the money, for sure. I am thrilled.
Same here the stream looks HD to me on my 50 inch plasma. I am very pleased with the service. Canceled Dish today as this + Hulu Plus + Occational show purchase on Amazon fits *my* family's viewing habits. Hopefully the price doesn't creep up over the years.

Same here the stream looks HD to me on my 50 inch plasma. I am very pleased with the service. Canceled Dish today as this + Hulu Plus + Occational show purchase on Amazon fits *my* family's viewing habits. Hopefully the price doesn't creep up over the years.

This will be key

Few downsides i have with the service:
1)stream limit
2) Telemundo missing for the wife
3)broadcast networks
4) Nat Geo -- A&E missing

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)