Sling TV

I'll give the special 1 month Xbox One free trial a shot but I'm going to wait a couple weeks for them to get the kinks worked out first.

Reactions: fhsucade07
Yeah, restarting the router worked.
Now I realize the CNN on Sling is different than the one on the Nowhere Man, though they show Anderson Cooper at the same time.

I had the same issue with ESPN earlier. Haven't checked in about two hours.

I fully expect some bugs. Hopefully small ones

Everything is smooth for me now.

Gave it the real strain test earlier with a sling feed going on two TVs one WiFi one Ethernet (two free trial weeks) and Netflix and hulu plus streaming on two tablets while downloading a TiVo update.

It held up.

Looks great to me. Now I can tell Comcast to stuff it except for the basic stuff my HOA provides and Internet. With Watch ESPN from Sling TV, I am saving $50 a month. Gave it a good workout tonight and it came through with flying colors.

Its been pretty solid for me. I had an issue getting it logged in on Sunday I think. And then I tired to pull up a VOD Disney Jr. show and it kinda sat there but I backed out and pulled it up again just fine. I hope AMC has the 3 day buffer of content. Or at least give access to its streaming on the website. Wouldn't mind if all the ABC "Watch" Apps were activated for Sling, not just ESPN.

Saw this post over at AVSForum. I agree with it
STEELERSRULE;31639225 said:
Just remember everyone, we are in the "baby" stages of streaming cable channels in cheap packages. This is ALL NEW.
There will be major hurdles to overcome. So just be patient. It will take at least 4-5 years MINIMUM to work kinks/costs/etc... But they will be fixed/overcome.
First one IMHO is the allowing of only one stream at a time. This will change. Trust me. And will change fast. That should be rectified by the end of the year hopefully.
So you have got to be patient. Which is tough with technology to people under the age of 30(41 myself). They just want instant gratification, and the world does not work that way. Things grow over time.
I was first introduced to Netflix streaming, I believe, around 2003. Maybe sooner, i do not remember. It may have started before that. It had MAJOR ISSUES and LIMITATIONS.
Look at it now, 12 years later. That's right, 12 YEARS LATER! It is great, and still growing. Rome was not built in a day. :)

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-ne...ing/1835825-dish-sling-tv-2.html#post31642889

Reactions: Blindowl1234
Thoughts..

1- Signing and setting up was surprisingly easy (those who know me will catch what I mean)
2- Solid image on Roku3...maybe a 3-4 second buffering.
3- Since DISH is synonymous with rate increase....it wont stay 20$ for long.
4- At the moment, Sling is more geared towards the "cord cutters" and "cord haters" (as Dish put it) who misses their sports fix. Its purely, imo a sports substitute.

Keep hearing SPORTS channels are the reason why sub prices are so high. GImme a non-sports package w/ variety (AMC, FX, A/E, CNN, TBS, TNT, USA, SYFY) and am all over it.

I'll be cancelling once the trial is up.

Cheers, K

Kraven, Aren't all of them prone to rates increases? For me Sling gives me the option to turn something on and its there for a fairly decent price. I can add to the package or cancel parts of it. Kind of like the ala carte everyone has begged for. Sling may not be everyone's perfect setup but it beats what has been offered in the past. I'm not a sports fan myself and doubt I'll watch ESPN. I agree with most of your non sports package but maybe add H2, Discovery, Nat Geo.

You can't please everyone but I think Sling has done a really good job providing value. So yes we have the "I don't watch ESPN, I don't want to pay for ESPN" (but if you have cable or sat, aren't you now, for a much higher price?). But I really think the majority is people who have already cut the cord lamenting the loss of sports or those on the fence and ESPN pushed them over the edge. So lets say they replaced ESPN with 3 non-sports channels. You would have people saying "No sports, no way". So really I think Sling did what was going to bring the most customers. And from what I hear about ESPN being an expensive channel in its own right, I think an add-on would have been too expensive.

@ CZ-- not too sure what your point is but DISH clearly stated SLING was meant for sports viewers.

Cheers, K

PS- if you think this is complaining, then you havent met Haller

Yeah that is my point more or less. Its just seeing people post how they wish it didn't have ESPN, or they would get it if it did, is kind of a pointless argument. I also think a pricing structure where ESPN was completely broken out by itself or as a package would not be attractive from the pricing perspective. You will never get true single channel a-la-carte. I think the whole point of bundling channels is the owner can sell ads across all of those channels and assure the advertiser that the viewer will have access to all those channels (and the ads).

Looks like they closed the WatchESPN loophole. I tried to watch a WatchESPN stream from my computer while my daughter was watching Disney on the Roku 3. As she screamed about the TV not working I relaized the WatchESPN was kicking it off. Tried from my phone and it kicked off again (but it did display a message). And then for some reason the ESPN gamecast was trying to invoke WatchESPN because even that was kicking me off. But that could have just been PC wierdness.

I'm surprised they even got Disney and Turner channels on board. 'Course the other bigs like Viacom, Fox, and Comcast-Universal-NBC aren't on it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)