Slingbox Intermittant Hangs

Still waiting for results from son, he was getting all his windows replaced due to manufacturing flaws and with 4 kids he has a lot on his plate, if I don't hear from him today I'll ask my other son if he would check it out. Noticed these posts don't wind up on the web as in other forums (ie doesn't come up when searching with Google) so I'll duplicate my post on usenet.

Posted on usenet "Can't recommend Slingbox" contemplating worst possible review at Amazon where we purchased the unit.

Had one son test it from 60 miles away from our home up north and it still hung, this eliminates most of the distance. Hoping to have closer sone test it and get over to the house to try another service to eliminate the router.

Posted on usenet "Can't recommend Slingbox" contemplating worst possible review at Amazon where we purchased the unit.

There are a lot of people who bought Slingboxes and gave up on using them. They are definitely not user friendly.

But once you get them tweaked they are sweet.

It took me a couple of weeks of tweaking. Then I changed my entire setup by putting my DSL modem in bridge (opposite of the factory settings) and I don't have anymore problems. Before that I was trying to open ports, forward ports, dmz, and etc with a wide range of results.

I have not tried a HAVA brand "place shifting" unit but it may be easier to configure. Maybe you can find one locally with a 30 day back guarantee or something so you can return it if you get the same problems. I think there are some other companies making "place shifting" units also, but the big two are SlingMedia and HAVA.

Your best resource is to go the Sling Community website. Some of those guys are geniuses when it comes to this stuff. Give them all your hardware, software, location, ISP info and I bet they will be able to help you.

Good luck!

I guess I'm not understanding your setup. Your talking about the dsl modem at home with the Slingbox? I'm currently snowbirding away from home 2100 miles and don't have immediate access to the setup. The dsl modem (Speedstream 4100) is connected by ethernet wire to a Netgear wrg524 wirless routher which wirelessly connects to a Netgear wpsg606 that is connected by ethernet wire to the Slingbox Solo controling TV1 of the Dish 522 dvr. I believe the modem is in bridge mode with the router doing the DHCP and Sling support had me set up the router with port forwarding for the Slingbox.

Due to the current economic conditions and high cost of heathcare insurance we are temporaily short on funds and can't really afford to do much as far as investing in more or newer equipment. We were trying to save money at our Fla mobile home by using the Slingbox utilizing our Dish service up north and a DTV converter with an old Tivo series one dvr without contract for the locals. We're both retired and on fixed income.

This is the first I've heard of "place shifting" and HAVA guess I better bone up.

Just wondering to if it would be better to go with internet tv and it's one time charge and forget all these hardware and software problems and monthly fees. Of course my opting for a 2 year contract with Dish for 3 mo. of HBO & Stars doesn't help the situation.

They seem to have the same problem with the Sling Catcher;

Sling Media Support - SlingCatcher freezes after streaming video from a Slingbox for a long, long time

My other son tried watching on his work laptop at home but kept being kicked
off the network by resets due to his security setup where he has to re-logon
with a code from a generator. He was going to goto the house over the
weekend to check things out but I may hold him off as I see there is
something going on with the Slingplayer program that seems to alleviate the
problem. There must be a hole in the logic in the remote control section.
If you press and hold alt then press t it goes into controlling mode and
doesn't seem to hang near as often or even ever.

This seems to work for the player only, I can't find anything similar in the
sling.com controls.

A Slingbox firmware upgrade took place this morning. From 1.3.16 to 1.3.70. Only been running it for 45 min. but looks great so far.

Oops spoke too soon. Hung in about 1.5 hrs. Pressing the power button
didn't recover, had to wait and reconnect. Trying Alt-t now.

Still hung with the alt-t option and was too choppy to watch. Guess
firmware upgrade didn't resolve problem.

The Slingplayer simultaneously downloaded an update while running on one of our laptops going from version 2.0.3.508 to 2.0.4.521 today. Haven't tried testing it yet, currently running second laptop to see if it gets the update request. Anxious to test it out.

Still hangs. Very intermittent, selecting connect - disconnect - connect gets it going again but may take several tries.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)