Slingbox, is it worth it?

simon.belmont

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
VA
I have been considering purchasing a slingbox recently. I got a special offer with my laptop to order one at a discount. I am not very knowledgable about the technology. It seems like a tv tuner for the pc. I know it has no monthly fees and will allow the dvr functions with its software...or at least I imagine it does because most tv tuners do. The pricing honestly doesn't look that bad but I would like to get some feedback from someone that has one or at least knows of them.

I have been considering purchasing a slingbox recently. I got a special offer with my laptop to order one at a discount. I am not very knowledgable about the technology. It seems like a tv tuner for the pc. I know it has no monthly fees and will allow the dvr functions with its software...or at least I imagine it does because most tv tuners do. The pricing honestly doesn't look that bad but I would like to get some feedback from someone that has one or at least knows of them.
I love mine. I can watch my D* and TWC on any PC and remote. You can not use it as a DVR though. Good PQ.

The SlingBox is worth it at full price. If you are getting a substantial discount, go for it!

The SlingBox will control your DVR. In addition to streaming audio and video to your PC or SmartPhone/PDA, the free SlingPlayer software has a virtual on-screen remote. For most devices, it is a generic universal type of image with specific commands for hundreds of brands and models. But, it does use actual remote images for certain brands and models such as Comcast cable boxes and Tivo DVR's. IIRC, they also have them for Dish and Direct.

The only caveat is that the broadband connection at the SlingBox (sending) location should be at least 400kb upload. Anything less just won't cut it. If you have higher speeds, it will look great on the receiving end. (I have one SlingBox in Japan on my MIL's fiber broadband connection. I routinely see throughputs of 1 - 2Mb. The picture looks great at that speed.)

In Summary...Buy it!

The SlingBox is worth it at full price. If you are getting a substantial discount, go for it!

The SlingBox will control your DVR. In addition to streaming audio and video to your PC or SmartPhone/PDA, the free SlingPlayer software has a virtual on-screen remote. For most devices, it is a generic universal type of image with specific commands for hundreds of brands and models. But, it does use actual remote images for certain brands and models such as Comcast cable boxes and Tivo DVR's. IIRC, they also have them for Dish and Direct.

The only caveat is that the broadband connection at the SlingBox (sending) location should be at least 400kb upload. Anything less just won't cut it. If you have higher speeds, it will look great on the receiving end. (I have one SlingBox in Japan on my MIL's fiber broadband connection. I routinely see throughputs of 1 - 2Mb. The picture looks great at that speed.)

In Summary...Buy it!

I wouldn't call it a huge discount, but 15%. Not sure if it would really help me though if it doesn't have the dvr abilities. I don't have a normal dvr so I have no access to those features. I used to use my tv tuner to my dvring before my power supply burned out. Just having trouble finding a new one.

I picked up a Slingbox Classic for $50 shipped a few months ago.... love it. I don't use it to watch from another PC much... I mainly use it to watch TV on my PDA phone.

I picked up a Slingbox Classic for $50 shipped a few months ago.... love it. I don't use it to watch from another PC much... I mainly use it to watch TV on my PDA phone.

Where do I find a good source of documentation for how to do this on my Mogul phone? Want to purchase a slingbox but don't want to buy the wrong thing with my limited money.

I have had a Slingbox Pro and SlingBox Original for a long time how and they are awesome. My wife did have the SlingPlayer loaded on her Verizon Audio Box PDA and it worked great too. She doesn't have that phone anymore.

No documentation needed. Any slingbox will work based on what you are hooking up to. Then just install the pocket pc version of Slingplayer and you'll be good to go.

No documentation needed. Any slingbox will work based on what you are hooking up to. Then just install the pocket pc version of Slingplayer and you'll be good to go.

She doesn't use her PDA anymore and we don't have any smart phones. We hardly ever used the PDA SlingPlayer anyway. Verizon is a little touchy on all the TV streaming going on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)