Slingbox question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

doublek97

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 20, 2006
Since it appears that CSN Philly will never come to Directv, I am considering purchasing a Slingbox so I can hook it up to a Comcast Cable box at my mother's place and get the Phillies games this summer. I noticed there are a few different Slingbox models. Does it matter which version I purchase?

For the most compatibility with Apps get any of the models you see currently available on their site. You don't have to buy from their site it can be from Amazon or Bestbuy etc.. but those are all supported 100% by apps or using their online connection. I have an older model that actually does more than the new ones, but it is becoming less supported. I found tricks to get it to work in most situations but I recommend getting a current model.

Here are a few tips. I use mine all the time and have for years. I believe most all cables needed are included.
Keep in mind, you can not be watching something different than those at the house are watching. If they have one Cable receiver, if you are watching Comcast Sports then they are watching it. If they are watching the Food Network, then you are. If you change the channel from wherever you are whatever they are watching changes. If they have a second Cable box picking the one they would least likely be watching during a game would be prudent. With DISH Network a second box is quite inexpensive, if that is the case with Cable there, it could be worth getting an additional box at the least for the duration of the Baseball season.

First, you must have Component outputs from the Cable Box because the Slingbox does not use HDMI. (OR you would need an HDMI to Component converter) If the Cable box does have Component outputs, next do they work at the same an HDMI cable is connected to the TV in the house. Some Cable boxes only output one at a time (either HDMI or Component, not both).
To assure there are no problems the best way to connect is not to use the HDMI cable from the box to the TV. Connect the Component cables from the TV to the Slingbox, (And the audio cables) then connect Component cables (And audio cables) from the Slingbox to the TV. That will eliminate any copyright protection issues.

It works remarkably well, even with less than ideal internet connections.

One question. Does Comcast have anything like DISH Network has, where you can watch anywhere with their own app? Is it possible they allow subscribers to watch remotely anything they get in their package?

If you have to use HDMI, I hear buying a cheap splitter(certain models) will fix the HDCP issues.

But yea, if you can use component, use it. Just make sure the cable box will output simultaneously to component and HDMI. I hear companies like Directv has been forced to clamp down in that if the HDMI doesnt have active HDCP connection at the time, then the component won't output(ie. If TV is turned off).

Another vote for the M1, very satisfied with the picture quality and ease to use. I've had Slingboxes for many years, going back to the original, and I believe the M1 is the best option they have released that doesn't have bells and whistles that most won't use.

Reactions: whitewolf8214
It doesn't matter which Slingbox you select as long as the inputs on it match whatever outputs the cable box you will be hooking it up to has. One thing to keep in mind though is that different models have different compatibility if you're planning on watching via a roku, amazon fire, etc. For example with a Roku, you have to use the Slingplayer app on a phone, tablet, etc. and then cast that stream to your Roku which will then display it on the tv. That works with virtually all models (Slingbox 500, Slingbox M1/M2, Slingbox 350, Slingbox PRO-HD, or Slingbox SOLO) except the super old ones.

For Amazon Fire though, it has the app built into it which will play the stream directly, i.e. you do not need to have it playing on another device and cast it. However, it only works with Slingbox M1, M2, 500, or 350.

Also only the latest models (M1, M2, 500) have built in wifi. The others all need a wired Ethernet connection or an Ethernet bridge/gaming adapter type device.

Can the M1, M2 or 500 be used without an external internet connection? In other words will any one of them function without calling home and just stay on my home network?

DRCars

Can the M1, M2 or 500 be used without an external internet connection? In other words will any one of them function without calling home and just stay on my home network?

DRCars
Good question.....I just tested....Killed cable modem but left wifi router hooked up.....IT DID NOT WORK....
Looks like it must log in for it to work....So streaming needs to sign in, after that it won't use internet conection...

You may be able to do that with an older sling box that allows manual IP config and connecting directly using IP or "finder ID", but it would be a pain to setup and may not even work.
The new ones (like last 5 years plus) are driven by connecting to the sling server to know where to go to find the sling box.
The software may be a problem too, you would have to find an older version since it is all web/server driven now.

I don't know that it would be worth your effort.

Well, Crap!

I was afraid of that. The Vulkano flow that used to be made didn't require internet to work but I think they went belly-up and are no longer made? I think they got sued over something.

If sling decides to throw in the towel, then I guess one would be left with a doorstop when they shut the doors on the internet support.

DRCars

DRCars

No, they will not. Everything is routed through Slingbox's servers so you need the external internet connection. An annoying byproduct of this is that I wasn't able to use the Slingbox on occasional periods when Slingbox's servers were having issues (didn't happen often for the 2 years I had one but probably at least 3-4 times overall).

Well, Crap!

I was afraid of that. The Vulkano flow that used to be made didn't require internet to work but I think they went belly-up and are no longer made? I think they got sued over something.

If sling decides to throw in the towel, then I guess one would be left with a doorstop when they shut the doors on the internet support.

DRCars
Yep...I had a SD Vulkano...It was awesome.....That might be 7 years old the one I had?.....Whats your concern tho?...If you had a dial up I will "assume" it would still work in network after it checks in, no?

.....Whats your concern tho?...
1) If sling stops internet support then I have a doorstop.
2a) Internet craps out here quite often. 2b) It's Windstream DSL and neither new tech nor dependable.
3) Because I know it's not necessary for it to report home. Makes me wonder why they are doing it?
4) I have no use for streaming outside of my network because (see 2b above) I only get about 0.3-0.4 Mb/s upload speeds.
5) Because I know it's not necessary.
6) Because I know it's not necessary...

Want to send a used Vulkano my way?:)

DRCars

1) If sling stops internet support then I have a doorstop./-- Couldn't that happen with any company?
2a) Internet craps out here quite often. 2b) It's Windstream DSL and neither new tech nor dependable./----If your streaming in home its not a factor?
3) Because I know it's not necessary for it to report home. Makes me wonder why they are doing it?/---I agree
4) I have no use for streaming outside of my network because (see 2b above) I only get about 0.3-0.4 Mb/s upload speeds./---all its doing is logging in, data would be minimal...
5) Because I know it's not necessary.
6) Because I know it's not necessary...

Want to send a used Vulkano my way?:)/----Its at my home in Illinois I never go back there...

DRCars

AZ. said:
-- Couldn't that happen with any company?
No. It's only when the company requires that the device "calls home" that it would be a concern. IMO, your right in that obsoleting is quite common when it comes to internet/computer related devices. However, usually, that doesn't mean the thing loses its function altogether.
AZ. said:
If your streaming in home its not a factor?
No, Windstream is not a factor when streaming on my own network. Windstream has nothing to do with my network.
Az. said:
---all its doing is logging in, data would be minimal...
I know that. It's just ironic that it requires internet and I have no use for it in my case (upload rates too slow). Just ironic.
Az. said:
----Its at my home in Illinois I never go back there...
Never? surely not! Seldom, maybe? :wink I was just being flippant. Wasn't trying to put you on the spot.

DRCars

I still use the Windows Sling software with my Pro HD and as Magic Static said I don't need the internet to watch my boxes that are on the same system as my computer. If newer boxes can be accessed with that software they would not need the internet, the software tells you that you are offline and then displays any boxes it finds on the LAN. I can't check right now but I think I found I could get to my boxes on the LAN with no internet with my Android app also but again that is with the Pro HD.

Reactions: jcrandall
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts